TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Black SGT Owners in here please!!!

SGT#3670

I just had my Black SGT professionally detailed and boy does she look good. :happy feet: One thing that the detailer and I noticed is that the paint has some gold flake in it :headscratch: . The flake is heavier in some areas and other areas do not have any flake in it at all. I was wondering if you guys could take a look at your cars and see if your black SGT has flake in the paint as well. Pics of the flake and the detail below.

Adam

post-10594-1212413381.jpg

post-10594-1212413408.jpg

post-10594-1212413425.jpg

post-10594-1212413432.jpg

post-10594-1212413440.jpg

post-10594-1212413381.jpg

post-10594-1212413408.jpg

post-10594-1212413425.jpg

post-10594-1212413432.jpg

post-10594-1212413440.jpg

I just had my Black SGT professionally detailed and boy does she look good. :happy feet: One thing that the detailer and I noticed is that the paint has some gold flake in it :headscratch: . The flake is heavier in some areas and other areas do not have any flake in it at all. I was wondering if you guys could take a look at your cars and see if your black SGT has flake in the paint as well. Pics of the flake and the detail below.

Adam

All I can say is....wow!!! that looks awesome, congrats.

Ford black is paint code UA and has 0 flake in it. Look at it with a magnifying glass Its either sand in the clearcoat or pitting thru the clearcoat. Every SGT I see has the "Flake" you see. Did he clay the paint properly? Or theres a slim chance she sat in a body shop and got overspray on her. Investagate and let us know what you find.

Almost forgot, Xenon bulbs show all the imperfections like a halogen light. So what you see is really a shock. The sad fact is this is normal stuff I see everyday so Im not superized like you were? Forgot to add she looks great too.

If it is overspray from a body shop that would have happend b 4 I purchased the car. I will have to break out the inspector magnifying glass and take a closer look. I was with the detailer in his shop the whole time he worked on the car and has been detailing cars for many years. He works on other High $ vehicles and knows what he is doing.

I just remembered that about 7 months ago at a show and shine, someone asked if I had flake in the paint. I just blew it off and said no. Hmm.

Adam

I noticed the same sort of "flake" on my car too. The CMC at my last command asked me if the Black was metal flake a month ago, I said no... Yesterday I noticed the apparent "metal flake" at noon as the San Diego sunshine was beaming directly over the hood.

My oppinion ? I think it is silica grit, from the surrounding air inadvertantly waxed into the clearcoat. Almost impossible to avoid (again my oppinion) unless the car is detailed in a dust free invironment. Also (again just my oppinion) Black is probably most suseptable to this due to its high contrast with any foriegn particles.

I do the best I can with my available resources and generally accept such things. My car looks great, your car looks great. I think this is "just one of those things".

However... if I am completely wrong in this, I would love to see what solution you discover. Anything to make a great car better eh?

My SGT had over spray on it when I purchased it. It also had over spray on the wheels. While cleaning the wheels, we noticed gold like flakes on the wheels. On closer inspection it turned out to be little spots where the paint on the wheels had fish eyed and left some metal spots showing through on the wheels. We pulled each wheel off and looked closely at each one and found they all had this issue, along with having a bad paint job on them! Especially on the inside where there were bare spots that hadn't been painted. The only solution is to repaint the wheels ... which I declined because you can only see the spots if you really get down on your knees and look extremely hard! The over spray came off the body with no issues and it looks great!

Kevin

07SGT2591

Thanks for all the comments on how great she looks. I am not unhappy with my car at all and I don't think I will do anything about it.

I am just adding the pics to the SGT for documentation. I just don't want someone to think I repainted many years down the line when my grandkids decide to sell the car.

Adam

Adam,

Can you tell me where those "flakes" are more concentrated?

Is it everywhere or in certain area?

The flakes seem to be more concentrated towards the drivers and passenger side front fenders then becoming less concentrated as you move to the rear. The hood, roof and decklid may have had a little if any at all.

I am not worried about it at this time. I will be in Tulsa next week and maybe I can track someone from Shelby and/or Ford down to can take a look. If you will be in Tulsa look for a SGT with the racing numbers on the side of 3670 and that will be me and you can take a look if you want.

Adam

The flakes seem to be more concentrated towards the drivers and passenger side front fenders then becoming less concentrated as you move to the rear. The hood, roof and decklid may have had a little if any at all.

I am not worried about it at this time. I will be in Tulsa next week and maybe I can track someone from Shelby and/or Ford down to can take a look. If you will be in Tulsa look for a SGT with the racing numbers on the side of 3670 and that will be me and you can take a look if you want.

Adam

Adam,

I wouldn't worry about it too much...I saw your car at the Quantum Performance Grand Opening, and it looked GREAT! AND I must add that your winning the 50/50 and donating your winnings back to the Shelby Foundation was most wonderful! You are among the very few people who would have done something like that. It's nice to know that we have such nice people in our group here.

I'm here in Crestview Florida today, and either it rained a little last night or the sprinklers at the hotel got me...water spots are going to be hard to get rid of now on my 08 Vista Blue...but I guess that's the price I have to pay for driving the car on a vacation trip...oh well, I'll just work on her when I get her back home...

• 3 weeks later...

Adam

This is a late reply, I'm not on the site very often. My black SGT was covered with silver overspray. Did not notice it until I washed and detailed it and parked in full sunlight. Was told at first it was rail dust and later dealer agreed it was overspray. Ford authorized repair after submitting pics ect. Big mistake! now paint is full of swirl marks and scratches. I will post pics. I've owned black before so I expect some minor swirls but this is really bad. Not a happy customer, looking for a solution. service reps response was "you bought the car. Iwill never buy another vehicle without inspecting in full sunlight. I've purchased at least 30 new vehicles in my lifetime so it's not like the first vehicle I've ever purchased, but probably the last FORD. It's a buyer beware in the new car world these days!

Are you sure the detailer used a clay bar on the car??? I would try one to see if the flake comes off. One good thing about white is you can see all the rail dust.

3 Ponies, a professional detailer should be able to help you out, but I would make Ford pay for it, that is BS.

Are you sure the detailer used a clay bar on the car??? I would try one to see if the flake comes off. One good thing about white is you can see all the rail dust.

3 Ponies, a professional detailer should be able to help you out, but I would make Ford pay for it, that is BS.

Thanks for the advice, here is a picture of the hood in sunlight. The whole car has these swirl marks and it's even worse in some areas. I have 700 mi on the car.

post-18572-1214161484.jpg

After hearing all of these black paint horror stories I'm so grateful mine never saw a dealer lot. They were shipped from Shelby to my house, and I personally did "dealer prep" myself. First thing I did was wash and dry them, and then a few weeks later I used Turtle liquid clay bar on the first one, but it didn't need it - I think Shelby had already de-railroad-grimed them since I could see wash marks inside the trunk door. Then I Turtle Wax Ice polish. Absolutely no swirl marks caused by errant orbitals. There are some random very small scratches that show up under really harsh direct sunlight, but only from certain angles.

Thanks for the advice, here is a picture of the hood in sunlight. The whole car has these swirl marks and it's even worse in some areas. I have 700 mi on the car.

oh that looks like someone used an SOS pad :runaway::drop:

DSC_1810.jpg

That is flipping ridiculous, who did that to your car??????????

I would have there head!!

3ponies, somebody used a dirty pad and was in a hurry. Its too bad buffing a car right takes time and skill. None of which dealers want to pay for. Ive seen buffers laying on the floor and then used on a fresh repaint.

I have some overspray on mine on the right side of the hood. It shows up pretty clearly in the sunlight and you can feel it on the paint. Clay bar didn't clear it up. Didn't bother taking it to the dealer since I'm hoping to put a different hood on this winter.

3 ponies what dealer in WI did you buy from? I would contact Ford regional rep and have them look at it. It appears that maybe they did not clean caefore buffing or used dirty pad. I bought mine from Griffin Ford Waukesha the prep guy had to lighty wet sand parts of my Black Shelby and then buffed it. I used to work for detailer in college in the 70s i Learned alot. I use a glaze once a month hids all small flaws. I use different waxes on Black cars, my BMW 323 is even worse than Ford to clean.Bruce

Archived