TEAM SHELBY FORUM

hood pin corrosion/bubbling

I installed the Shelby billet hood pins yesterday. When I pulled the stock pins I found some of the paint corrosion or bubbling described in other posts. The pics below are the best i could get, but it kind of shows the bubbling around the screw holes. Is there something I should do to correct this or to prevent it from spreading? Any advice is appreciated.

sgt002.jpg

sgt003.jpg

sgt007.jpg

sgt008.jpg

I installed the Shelby billet hood pins yesterday. When I pulled the stock pins I found some of the paint corrosion or bubbling described in other posts. The pics below are the best i could get, but it kind of shows the bubbling around the screw holes. Is there something I should do to correct this or to prevent it from spreading? Any advice is appreciated.

Aluminum oxidizes; when they drilled the holes in the hood they left the exposed aluminum untreated and this gives a point for the oxidation to start. It will lift the paint and expose another area to oxidize and so it goes.

Aluminum oxidizes; when they drilled the holes in the hood they left the exposed aluminum untreated and this gives a point for the oxidation to start. It will lift the paint and expose another area to oxidize and so it goes.

I think it is galvanic corrosion between the steel screws and the aluminum hood. Aluminum by itself should get a skin coat of corrosion and stop corroding, at least the alloys on big aluminum fishing boats do...

Makes me want to pull my pins and check though.

So, are there any thoughts on what to do about this? I guess my biggest concern is that it will continue to spread out beyond the hood pin plates. I guess if it does this within the next 2 1/2 years it will be a warranty issue. Should I just keep an eye on it, or is there something more proactive I could do?

So, are there any thoughts on what to do about this? I guess my biggest concern is that it will continue to spread out beyond the hood pin plates. I guess if it does this within the next 2 1/2 years it will be a warranty issue. Should I just keep an eye on it, or is there something more proactive I could do?

mine goes in next week for its 3rd replacement scoop and 3rd full stripe set they will also be taking care of this issue under warranty also at the body shop, i assume they will need to remove and repaint that area. i feel every issue mentioned by owners no mater how smaLL should be checked and treated accordingly by all owners as our warranty just keeps ticking away. how do we go about getting sai to extend its warranty due to so many issues only now showing and other taking so long for fixes.

I think it is galvanic corrosion between the steel screws and the aluminum hood. Aluminum by itself should get a skin coat of corrosion and stop corroding, at least the alloys on big aluminum fishing boats do...

Makes me want to pull my pins and check though.

Yes, if they used steel/galvanized screws they will have a reaction between the two metals. I had a box van that had a steel frame and aluminum box and anywhere the two metals were attached there was a reaction and the aluminum ended up with a big hole in it where a screw was. Since this is an aluminum hood they just could use aluminum screws with aluminum hood pins and plates that would help.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
mine goes in next week for its 3rd replacement scoop and 3rd full stripe set they will also be taking care of this issue under warranty also at the body shop, i assume they will need to remove and repaint that area. i feel every issue mentioned by owners no mater how smaLL should be checked and treated accordingly by all owners as our warranty just keeps ticking away. how do we go about getting sai to extend its warranty due to so many issues only now showing and other taking so long for fixes.

well mine has been at dealer for 3 1/2 weeks now awaiting the newest and 5th hood scoop and stripe replace, now i insist on a loner each time, its a crappy car but i get over 22MPG, ill be popping the hood plates to see if they did what they told me they were repainting it, i;m not confident. lets hope its soon. also the blk billet plates are garbage the black/scrapes fades off

well mine has been at dealer for 3 1/2 weeks now awaiting the newest and 5th hood scoop and stripe replace, now i insist on a loner each time, its a crappy car but i get over 22MPG, ill be popping the hood plates to see if they did what they told me they were repainting it, i;m not confident. lets hope its soon. also the blk billet plates are garbage the black/scrapes fades off

This weekend I placed an order through SPP for the blk billet plates below. Please let me know if these are the ones where the black scrapes/fades. If so I will have them powder coated.

post-9205-1221477835_thumb.jpg

post-9205-1221477835_thumb.jpg

yes that's them, look awesome compared to the stock plates, until they faded :(

VEGASTY,

Canceled my order for the Shelby black hood pin kit after receiving an e-mail from SPP:

Hello Mike,

We are currently sold out of the black hood pins that you ordered. We are in the process of finding a new coating for them, as the anodized pieces were known to be faulty. You are looking at probably 3+ months before they are available again. We can swap them for the regular billet pieces if you’d like, or take them off the order completely. Let me know what you would like to do as we have them set to ship as soon as available. Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience!

Enrique J. Trinidad

Shelby Performance Parts

(702) 853-2068

post-9205-1221533712_thumb.jpg

post-9205-1221533712_thumb.jpg

I replaced my hood pins a few weeks after I bought my car and I used aluminum rivets to secure them. I haven't had any problems with mine. I don't think that screws are the best thing to use for hood pins. My stock hood pins had rivets also.

Shelbybro, how about posting a pic. Just curious as I've never seen a SGT with riveted hood pin plates. Thanks

Jim

Please let me know if you removed the original cable and pin or kept the original and replaced only the Shelby black base piece.

i kept the original cable, replaced the pins.

well up date for me, my cars now been at dealer 4 1/2 weeks still awaiting the replacement scoop and stripes AGAIN

Archived