TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A GT500 Can run with a ZO6

LSR

A quote from Evil Chris:

"In order to get a Mustang to run with a Z06 in ALL performance categories, you'll have to make so many changes it won't be a Mustang anymore. They should bring the Tbird out again but this time as a super performance 2 seater."

I disagree and here is why, but first I have a question.

Dose anyone remember the 2000 Cobra R?

Ford could make a Shelby that could for sure run with the ZO6. But economics, competition, market, and production cost becomes the determining factor. I am sure many remember the 2000 Cobra R. This same version car could be produced and should be call the Shelby GT500KR. Remember how the 2000 Cobra had a 185 mph top speed ECU with only 385 hp? A car like the Z06 attracts a certain type of car guy and gal and this goes for any other performance car as well.

Offer the car in the same form as the 2000 Cobra R. And give to buyer/buyers the option of ordering the car the way they want it. When ordering a car such as a performnce car, several options should be offered.

Everyone knows Ford offers Ford Racing Parts. Why not sell a car that comes equipped.

Here is my perfect GT500KR model recipe.

Start price of a delete option car $45,000

Fully loaded car $75,000

3 year warranty only on delete options.

1 year warranty on everything else (why, it's a race car)

DELETE OPTIONS: A/C, radio, power steering, power windows, rear seat, and other groups options that go along with these options when ordered ie: vanity style rear view mirror etc.

OPTIONS: Cross drilled rotors, (one piece)aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch wheels, adjust. suspension, race seats, brake cooling ducts & hoses, 3.73 & 4.10 gears, A/C, radio, power steering, power windows, rear seat, and other groups options that go along with these options when ordered ie: vanity style rear view mirror etc.

STANDARD EQUIPMENT: Headers, highflow cats for EPA standards, X-pipe & high flow cat-back system, CAI, larger TB, dry sump oiling, larger intercooler, unlimited ECU, 3.31 gears, wider rear wheel & tire, etc.

Options could be chosen and used for drag or road race.

Horsepower rated at ??? (just look at the options and some of you know and drooling.

And this car with an unlimited electronically ECU would run 200+mph. And for all you car weight critics, just look at the performance stats. of a BMW M5, AMG models, Bentley, and the list goes on.

With a tested price of a full optioned equipped car of aprox. $75,000. And still $10,000 cheaper than the 2000 Cobra R.

And yes, it cost more than the Z06, BUT the Z06 doesn't have most the option listed above, and does have courtesy factory delivery if I am not mistaken.

And to prevent dealer ADM's, give the buyer control of what they order by making my GT500KR version a special order only and not build the car and allot them to go to dealers to just possibly sit in showrooms. Also allow the buyer to order through the factory with dealer of factory courtesy delivery option.

A special order system prevents dealer/ Ford from money lost for example, a dealer having two Ford GT's on their showroom floors for over a year (like a dealer near me) putting pressure on dealers of not being able to sell a car like the Ford GT which is a collectors market car.

In the end, the buyers end price is totalled by the options they picked, and ultamately the buyer having control of what the end price will be.

This should end all past and future Ford customers from crying about cost. This could easily be prevented by offering cars like the Ford GT, the GT500, and my sample GT500KR as special order cars.

But you will always have those who cry/wine about something.

Now my/this GT500KR version would make history and put Ford on top causing Dodge and Chevy to try and recruit me to come work for them.

Ford, Mr. Shelby, contact me because I have just shown a car plan that would take over the new Muscle Car Wars era and a huge majority of the sports car market. We would have vendors competing to help and meet our parts and cost demands.

:roses:

Now car guys, close your eyes for a minute and imagine ordering, picking up, and driving my version of the GT500KR.

Guest evilchris

You've stripped the car though man. I can do that with a 5.0. Yeah, a 5.0 that out handles, brakes, and quicker 1/4 than a C6 Z06. But STRIPPED. For me to do it with all "luxuries"? Impossible.

You've stripped the car though man. I can do that with a 5.0. Yeah, a 5.0 that out handles, brakes, and quicker 1/4 than a C6 Z06. But STRIPPED. For me to do it with all "luxuries"? Impossible.

Well I can do it with my 66 fastback and I dont have to strip nothing :happy feet:

Guest evilchris

Well I can do it with my 66 fastback and I dont have to strip nothing :happy feet:

Haha. Seriously though. My 5.0 ( 331 s/c ) can run with a Z06, but it is the most uncomfortable, jarring vehicle in the world to drive. I can't imagine driving it to work everyday, the way you could with your Z06.

Haha. Seriously though. My 5.0 ( 331 s/c ) can run with a Z06, but it is the most uncomfortable, jarring vehicle in the world to drive. I can't imagine driving it to work everyday, the way you could with your Z06.

Well I was serious about the 66. 347 stroker, about 550 hp without the bottle, 2800 lbs, swoopy enough, numerous other upgrades including a Currie 9 inch and a Baumann Engineering AODE, no stereo though :shift:

Car & Driver results:

Vette= 0-60 4.3 1/4 12.8@113 Car weight 3280

GT500= 0-60 4.4 1/4 12.9 112 Car weight 3896

With just a 616lb. difference look at how close eveything is.

Mustangs & Fast Fords:

GT500 1/4 mile 12.25@117 6 tenth faster than the Vette in the 1/4 equating to aprox. a 3.8 0-60

Looking at the time Mustangs & Fast Fords ran in the 1/4. The GT500 will go into the 11's stock with the only mod. being better suited rear tires.

The Z06 runs 0-60 3.6 1/4 mile 11.7@125 Car weight 3147 Car weight =722lb less than GT500

The GT500 with some Ford Racing parts and no weight lost and a unlimited ECU, and a good driver like the one in Mustangs and Fast Fords would run with a Z06, guaranteed.

Guest evilchris

The GT500 with some Ford Racing parts and no weight lost and a unlimited ECU, and a good driver like the one in Mustangs and Fast Fords would run with a Z06, guaranteed.

BUt see now you're comparing a godlike Evan Smith GT500 run with a lame Car and Driver Z06 run....

Car & Driver results:

Vette= 0-60 4.3 1/4 12.8@113 Car weight 3280

GT500= 0-60 4.4 1/4 12.9 112 Car weight 3896

With just a 616lb. difference look at how close eveything is.

Mustangs & Fast Fords:

GT500 1/4 mile 12.25@117 6 tenth faster than the Vette in the 1/4 equating to aprox. a 3.8 0-60

Looking at the time Mustangs & Fast Fords ran in the 1/4. The GT500 will go into the 11's stock with the only mod. being better suited rear tires.

The Z06 runs 0-60 3.6 1/4 mile 11.7@125 Car weight 3147 Car weight =722lb less than GT500

First, I really need to say I love my Shelby. Ford SVT did an exception job with it.

The car is heavy though and the only way you will overcome this heft is with more horsepower. With all of the products coming out, the horsepower will eventually come.

The aero is good on the Shelby is supposed to be good also and at 150 mph the lift is zero. Also a good thing because all the power in the world wont help if it wont stay on the ground.

There will undoubtly be some weak areas in the car, appears driveshaft could be one if you are planning to play hard, but those to are correctable.

So catching the ZO6 in the 1/4 will be easy with minor mods

Catching the ZO6 at the top end is doable with more mods, not sure how the lift would be at 200 plus.

Getting the Shelby to out brake and out corner will be a lot tougher though because of weight and tire size. The ZO6 has really got a leg up here, its a matter of physics. Tire size and compounds would help this area at lot but one of the problems I noticed on my Shelby is there is much room to go with wider tires and there is a limit to the widths available.

The Shelby is an awesome piece and I am sure there will be someone out there that will put one on a serious diet but the average owner wouldnt like the results. EC says his car will do, but he also says the car would be miserable as a daily driver.

Well, mines not a daily driver and I am not willing to put it on a diet either. So I will be adding horsepower to overcome it. I don't plan on driving much over 150 on the streets so I doubt I will be concerned about this either. The difference in the cornering ability on the street is likely not to perceptable nor is the difference in braking. Remember we are not talking about repeated stops from 190 mph.

So, in the end, my Shelby will be a formidable street car that has the woozie extras and looks that kill. It will have enough power to beat that ZO6 from the light (I would never do that on the street :hysterical: ) and will draw the stares of admiration and envy from many. Course there are lot people that wont give a :censored: either way, but they don't count.

Enjoy your Shelby for all it is and all it can be. After all, you paid a lot of money to get it and it seems silly to rain on your own parade.

Whew........my typing fingers are tired :hysterical:

BUt see now you're comparing a godlike Evan Smith GT500 run with a lame Car and Driver Z06 run....

Not only that..but the pre-production GT500 that Evan drove had a tweaked ecu.

The GT500 isn't an 11 second car with slicks only. so far nobody has done it. You saw the list of mods on Evolutions GT500 that ran an 11.8 didn't you? So far NOBODY has even ran a low 12 on a production Gt500

Your also laying out straight line only #'s. Things change big time when you throw them out on a road course for 20 minute sessions. I'd love to see a Mustang that is an overall performer..but I think the GT500 is the wrong one to do it with. They need to bring us a n/a and light Boss Mustang. :)

You might think weight doesn't matter but it does. Doing one or two quick laps is one thing..but doing it lap after lap for 20 minutes in a 4000lb car can lead to issues such as severe brake fade, toasted rotors/pads, severe tire wear (due to weight and front end weight distribution). The list goes on.

Not only that..but the pre-production GT500 that Evan drove had a tweaked ecu.

The GT500 isn't an 11 second car with slicks only. so far nobody has done it. You saw the list of mods on Evolutions GT500 that ran an 11.8 didn't you? So far NOBODY has even ran a low 12 on a production Gt500

Your also laying out straight line only #'s. Things change big time when you throw them out on a road course for 20 minute sessions. I'd love to see a Mustang that is an overall performer..but I think the GT500 is the wrong one to do it with. They need to bring us a n/a and light Boss Mustang. :)

You might think weight doesn't matter but it does. Doing one or two quick laps is one thing..but doing it lap after lap for 20 minutes in a 4000lb car can lead to issues such as severe brake fade, toasted rotors/pads, severe tire wear (due to weight and front end weight distribution). The list goes on.

There is a solution to that, FRP racing mustang, I think they're about $100K and they will kick the crap outta of the ZO6, no air or tunes though :cheerleader:

I am the first to say that I do not have as much knowledge about how to mod/build cars as many on this site. I AM able to work on cars comfortably up to about the year 1990.... after that, I would not touch them. I have learned a great deal from the car guys on this website. having said that......

I don't get these arguments about Z06 vs Shelby, or terminator vs shelby....

I have seen a post on this site that shows a VW beetle kicking the crap out of a terminator in the 1/4 mile!

That proves to me that ANY car can be made to be quicker than ANY other car with the right mods.

why do we keep beating this subject to death, then?

Z06, terminators, shelby's... all great cars. why the constant pissing contest?

if all cars were stock, it would be different....we could definitively declare one car superior to another... but there are so many variables involved in which car is quickest on a given day.... mods, driver, etc. i enjoy reading these threads because I learn from them... but do any of you really ever expect to win the argument?

Archived