TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Sebring Super Snake

Ok Everyone

Sorry its taken me sometime to learn how to post from my new Video camera. I was able to get out to Sebring with SVTOA and Steeda to make some laps. I do have some in car shots but I need more time to post them. You can watch when I'm on the throttle by the boost gauge. Really cool thanks Shelby. Check it out and ask any question you want I'll try my best to answer. Oh the car will get hot if your really on the Boost for some time. Had to leave the track a few times till I just kept it under 4000 and it stayed cool. I will be taking it to Carlisle Ford Show this week hope to see some of you there. I think a couple passes down the drag strip should be fun.

Hope you all enjoy.

Nice video, and for your heat problems, if you haven't changed out the stock heat exchanger, you should look into it. I will be adding it to my list of mods. after I get my car converted to a Super Snake for sure.

Ok Everyone

Sorry its taken me sometime to learn how to post from my new Video camera. I was able to get out to Sebring with SVTOA and Steeda to make some laps. I do have some in car shots but I need more time to post them. You can watch when I'm on the throttle by the boost gauge. Really cool thanks Shelby. Check it out and ask any question you want I'll try my best to answer. Oh the car will get hot if your really on the Boost for some time. Had to leave the track a few times till I just kept it under 4000 and it stayed cool. I will be taking it to Carlisle Ford Show this week hope to see some of you there. I think a couple passes down the drag strip should be fun.

Hope you all enjoy.

Thanks for the video. I cant wait to see the in car stuff.

michael morris

Ok Everyone

Hope you all enjoy.

JAS, you might try a cooler thermostat, upgrade your heat exchanger and run engine ice.

http://www.engineice.cc/

Thanks for all you suggestions. I have already done most of the normal mods to the cooling system. But will need more cooling for the charge air. I had a friend at Sebring with a Super Charged Gt 2007 which he made into a race car. He cut holes under the side scoops ducted it to a radiator in the trunk and vented it out under the car. His air temp stayed less then 100 no matter how hard he drove. It was killing me!!! I'm not ready to go that extreme just yet. I'll keep you all posted as to what I find that works. Thanks again for the suggestions please keep coming.

Oh I only ran it up to 130 on the back straight just getting to hot.

Here is the in car Video Enjoy.

Thanks for all you suggestions. I have already done most of the normal mods to the cooling system. But will need more cooling for the charge air. I had a friend at Sebring with a Super Charged Gt 2007 which he made into a race car. He cut holes under the side scoops ducted it to a radiator in the trunk and vented it out under the car. His air temp stayed less then 100 no matter how hard he drove. It was killing me!!! I'm not ready to go that extreme just yet. I'll keep you all posted as to what I find that works. Thanks again for the suggestions please keep coming.

Thanks for posting the video, when you say you have made most of the normal mods to the cooling system what do you mean?

Jaime

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the video, when you say you have made most of the normal mods to the cooling system what do you mean?

Jaime

I have a Steeda Heat exchanger, and ProFab expansion tank with water wetter and distilled water, and a 160 t-stat. I'm going to use the dual pass exchanger and put one on top to double the cooling area. Hope that Helps you.

Do you still have the small exhaust on your car? or have you installed the 3"?

R

No exhaust changes don't want to mess with the tune. Besides my son is a real snake freak he told me not to change it because it sounds like a pissed off Snake down the straights at Sebring. I agree its all super charger HISSING. Oh and KB said it doesn't improve performance much if at all. Who Knew??

No exhaust changes don't want to mess with the tune. Besides my son is a real snake freak he told me not to change it because it sounds like a pissed off Snake down the straights at Sebring. I agree its all super charger HISSING. Oh and KB said it doesn't improve performance much if at all. Who Knew??

Double post......See below.

R

I would have thought that especially with a S/C, the more "free flowing" diameter pipes, the better, especially at W.O.T. Those factory cast iron "log type" exhaust manifolds, especially, look to be very restrictive and a source of extra heat. A tubed header, shorty or long, seem like they would be much more efficient at getting the exhaust gas away from the engine.

I did go to the KB site and read the FAQ related to exhaust and headers, they do say what you have mentioned above, very little gains.

R

As we all know this car thing gets pretty expensive, I for one only want to invest in performance only not look or sound, its already got enough of that as a Super Snake. When I can drive the wheels off the car on the road courses here in Florida, then I'll be looking to change the tune, exhaust, suspension etc. Now I'm in the process of finding a way to cool the charge air so I can hammer it at Daytona in Oct. I'll keep everyone posted as we try different things.

John Strauss

As we all know this car thing gets pretty expensive, I for one only want to invest in performance only not look or sound, its already got enough of that as a Super Snake. When I can drive the wheels off the car on the road courses here in Florida, then I'll be looking to change the tune, exhaust, suspension etc. Now I'm in the process of finding a way to cool the charge air so I can hammer it at Daytona in Oct. I'll keep everyone posted as we try different things.

John Strauss

Thanks John. I understand where you are coming from.

For those who are not familiar, this is what is stock on an 07/08 GT500.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-2008-S...sspagenameZWDVW

I guess I was very surprised to say the least, to see such old technology on a 21st century muscle car. I have not seen hot, heavy, restrictive cast iron exhaust manifolds on a performance car since the 80's, maybe early 90's. It's like blowing the exhaust into a "log".<<That doesn't seem very efficient to me, and then the lower flowing, factory exhaust after these cast iron logs................

R

I guess I was very surprised to say the least, to see such old technology on a 21st century muscle car. I have not seen hot, heavy, restrictive cast iron exhaust manifolds on a performance car since the 80's, maybe early 90's. It's like blowing the exhaust into a "log".<<That doesn't seem very efficient to me, and then the lower flowing, factory exhaust after these cast iron logs................

I think we maybe we are over looking something here. I'm no expert but having the heat in the exhaust I would think it should help burn off the unburnt fuel making it cleaner. Maybe the reason they went that way.

I think we maybe we are over looking something here. I'm no expert but having the heat in the exhaust I would think it should help burn off the unburnt fuel making it cleaner. Maybe the reason they went that way.

They have to meet CARB standards and headers won't meet CARB standards

Thanks I knew there must be a good reason.

I was told it was the high-flow cats of the 3" JBA exhaust system the did not meet the 50 state standards in emails to SAI. I know that factory tubed headers (shorty's) have been installed on Cobra's from 1993-2002 (not sure about 2003/04) and they were fully compliant in all 50 states. Of course, now that could have changed, but I'm pretty sure the FORD GT had a tubed header on its 5.4 DOHC S/C'ed engine, not cast iron manifolds.

Someone had previously mentioned that it is a visual inspection that was not passed. If the exhaust has been altered away from the Ford assy. line installation (from the cats forward) within the first 5 years, it will automatically fail.<<If this is the case, then what exactly is installed (exhaust wise) on the 600 and 725's? Is it the mufflers only (cat back), and all other exhaust parts ahead of the rear axle are stock GT500? I heard Borla 2.5" exhaust is being installed on the 725's, but I am not sure how much of the original exhaust is actually being changed?<<Not that it matters, but I was just wondering. :headscratch:

John - Can you tell what exhaust has been changed as part of the conversion on your car?

R

John - Can you tell what exhaust has been changed as part of the conversion on your car?

They change the pipes from the X pipe back. I'll post a video of the take off parts.

I was told it was the high-flow cats of the 3" JBA exhaust system the did not meet the 50 state standards in emails to SAI. I know that factory tubed headers (shorty's) have been installed on Cobra's from 1993-2002 (not sure about 2003/04) and they were fully compliant in all 50 states. Of course, now that could have changed, but I'm pretty sure the FORD GT had a tubed header on its 5.4 DOHC S/C'ed engine, not cast iron manifolds.

Someone had previously mentioned that it is a visual inspection that was not passed. If the exhaust has been altered away from the Ford assy. line installation (from the cats forward) within the first 5 years, it will automatically fail.<<If this is the case, then what exactly is installed (exhaust wise) on the 600 and 725's? Is it the mufflers only (cat back), and all other exhaust parts ahead of the rear axle are stock GT500? I heard Borla 2.5" exhaust is being installed on the 725's, but I am not sure how much of the original exhaust is actually being changed?<<Not that it matters, but I was just wondering. :headscratch:

R

FORD GTs have cast iron exhaust manifolds that are similar to the Shelby GT500.

FORD GTs have cast iron exhaust manifolds that are similar to the Shelby GT500.

Thank you for answering that Ford GT header or manifold question. Either headers are no longer 50 state legal, (and this must have changed after 2002) OR the manifolds are better performers in a S/C engine application......

R

• 4 weeks later...

I have an 07 GT500 with engine, exhaust, and suspension mods. I road race in South Florida and never once overheated or lost boost due to heat soak. I hate to say but your overheating may be related to your ram air hood. They disrupt the flow of air under the hood and around the radiator at high speeds. Not to get long winded but a member of this forum races at the same events as I and since he installed his ram air hood has experienced overheating issues on the track. Day to day and street use, OK.........high sustained speeds at the track.....problems. If you are interested in the post I will find it. It is rather long (12 pages) and the overheating isnt even the main topic but as it goes it strayed that way.

• 4 weeks later...

john

nice video ! ...... gotta love sebring !

nice video ! ...... gotta love sebring !

Thanks Don

I don't know if you noticed or not, but the boost gauge is on the left and you can watch it as to when I'm hard on the Throttle. Its goes to zero when I'm just holding speed level, and of course braking. Its cool to watch at where I get back on and where I let off or just hold speed. Thought you might like comparing it to your driving and could give me some pointers.

Thanks

John

Archived