TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Summers Here Any Good SGT Street Racing Stories

tcrockstar

This wasn't really a race but I was on the interstate Saturday and got hooked with with a Terminator Cobra. We drove along together for about twenty miles passing each other back and forth. We hit a good long straight stretch and he took off. I just stood on it in top gear. I guess we were probably running about 75 when we took off. He never really pulled me and by the time I hit about 120 I was passing him. I got a few lengths in front of him and slowed it back down. We stayed nose to tail for a few more miles before I had to exit.

I don't know if the guy was really racing or not, but I would like to think so. Anyway, the story I am sticking to is that I took down a Terminator.

i ran a rocket(motorcycle) from a 20 mph roll to 120 and he never got by me stayed with me but couldnt pull on me. i was proud a car that keeps up with a rocket is pretty good im shure from a dig he would have taken me tho.

I'm not going to knock you but I'm personally pretty anti-racing. I've seen people killed and friends killed. It's not worth it. In a street race you never know what will happen, pull or jump out in front of you, if the other guy slowed because his car couldn't take it or maybe he had more sense than you. Cars are often separated by less than a second in performance so it's really up to the driver and many drivers aren't as well suited to speed as their cars. Lastly you're placing your life in some guys hands you don't know. If he looses control chances are he'll turn or spin into you...sorry some moron in a ricer isn't worth my life.

I love driving down the highway at a reasonable speed, maybe a little slower, and watching the looks. Enjoying the thumbs up and the sound of the engine. When I do punch it, it's on a road I know, with no traffic, and the music loud.

Have fun...drive safe, drive for a long time!

;-)

+1 on what Jeff said - but in addition, I like those blasts on the interstate on-ramps when I get the chance.

This wasn't really a race but I was on the interstate Saturday and got hooked with with a Terminator Cobra. We drove along together for about twenty miles passing each other back and forth. We hit a good long straight stretch and he took off. I just stood on it in top gear. I guess we were probably running about 75 when we took off. He never really pulled me and by the time I hit about 120 I was passing him. I got a few lengths in front of him and slowed it back down. We stayed nose to tail for a few more miles before I had to exit.

I don't know if the guy was really racing or not, but I would like to think so. Anyway, the story I am sticking to is that I took down a Terminator.

Assume he wasn't trying - on an Interstate (i.e. no curves), the Terminator will leave an SGT without breaking a sweat. :-)

I'm not going to knock you but I'm personally pretty anti-racing. I've seen people killed and friends killed. It's not worth it. In a street race you never know what will happen, pull or jump out in front of you, if the other guy slowed because his car couldn't take it or maybe he had more sense than you. Cars are often separated by less than a second in performance so it's really up to the driver and many drivers aren't as well suited to speed as their cars. Lastly you're placing your life in some guys hands you don't know. If he looses control chances are he'll turn or spin into you...sorry some moron in a ricer isn't worth my life.

I love driving down the highway at a reasonable speed, maybe a little slower, and watching the looks. Enjoying the thumbs up and the sound of the engine. When I do punch it, it's on a road I know, with no traffic, and the music loud.

Have fun...drive safe, drive for a long time!

;-)

A little ground hog or worse yet a deer.......can still run out in front of you......

even on a road you know!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - I'm not someone that just goes blasting around town and racing from every single stop light when I get the chance. . . . . . however

I was driving on a 4 lane road yesterday with several stop lights. . . . . . . . when I turned onto this road, across from me turning in the same direction was a 2008 BMW M3 - Man and his Wife in the car. . . . . . . I wasn't going to let it get to me that he was not going to stop messin' with me. Every stop light he'd hang back a little and then blast past me, only to slow down again. Next light he was behind me in the same lane and right on my rear bumber. . . . I was kinda pissed off. . . . Obviously he wanted to go. . . . I gave in. I wanted to know 2008 SGT vs. 2008 BMW M3. . . . . next light was entrance to freeway and no other stop lights in sight. . . and we were both first cars in line at the red light. . . . . GREEN - I pulled away in every gear thru 4th and was still pulling away when he gave up. . . . I was totally shocked. Can't say he wasn't trying - I heard him runnin' the rpms out.

I got the peace sign and his wife gave me a thumbs up when they caught up to me. Somebody else who witnessed this pulled up next to me and gave me a huge thumbs up.

I'm not sure if this could be duplicated or not - but I'll take it! Now I know....................

i ran a rocket(motorcycle) from a 20 mph roll to 120 and he never got by me stayed with me but couldnt pull on me. i was proud a car that keeps up with a rocket is pretty good im shure from a dig he would have taken me tho.

A crotch rocket stock will totally smoke you, he wisely was NOT racing you. Stock 1000cc bikes are in the 9's in the quarter and top out at over 160mph top end. 1st gear on a R1 is good for 98mph, it has 6 gears. I think the lower cc bikes run similar times....Please don't run over any motorcyclists over getting frisky!

Cool story though!

A crotch rocket stock will totally smoke you, he wisely was NOT racing you. Stock 1000cc bikes are in the 9's in the quarter and top out at over 160mph top end. 1st gear on a R1 is good for 98mph, it has 6 gears. I think the lower cc bikes run similar times....Please don't run over any motorcyclists over getting frisky!

Cool story though!

:)

Cool story though!

There are actually quite a few sport bikes that would have a hard time keeping up with our cars. What about a 250 or 500cc Ninja, or a ZR7, or even a GS500. Not all "crotch rockets" are litre bikes.

There are actually quite a few sport bikes that would have a hard time keeping up with our cars. What about a 250 or 500cc Ninja, or a ZR7, or even a GS500. Not all "crotch rockets" are litre bikes.

I think you will find a lot more that will kick your butt then not :)Bike specs

I think you will find a lot more that will kick your butt then not :)Bike specs

You are correct. Most anything over 500ccs would toast our cars. I was just making the observation that perhaps he was running against one of the smaller, less powerful sport bikes.

I have ridden sport bikes for many years, everything from Interceptor 250s to Busas. I know what the bikes are capable of.

Ninja 500, 12.8 in the 1/4.

Still as a 30 bike rider and street rider for 23 years, it seems as though every guy with a fast car wants to street race, it's comical.

No offense, I just have been almost flattened too many times by guys racing up next to the bike in various sports cars. Just give bikes some space they appreciate it.

If you are not a bike rider, the protocall is to hug the opposite side of your lane of where the bike is.

If you rev you may get a race...just be prepared to get smoked.

I also might add I do not advise any street racing in our current lawyer, police state world.

Having said that I know lots of sportbike guys who love to play streetracer....

Then there is the 68 Hemi Dodge Dart with a plate I sometimes see rolling around here with slicks on and a cage, very cool! I think this guy could beat almost anything, sounds sssoooooo good! Stopped next to me at a light and he revved it a bit, I gave him the thumbs up and smiled and pulled away normally at the green, haha.

You are correct. Most anything over 500ccs would toast our cars. I was just making the observation that perhaps he was running against one of the smaller, less powerful sport bikes.

I have ridden sport bikes for many years, everything from Interceptor 250s to Busas. I know what the bikes are capable of.

:) no worries, I've been riding over 40 years and have had sportbikes since I was 16 most recently a ZX14 I built and GSXR1000 I just sold. The only thing I have left is my KTM 950 SM, I don't think most people know the kind of speed these bikes are capable of :)

:) no worries, I've been riding over 40 years and have had sportbikes since I was 16 most recently a ZX14 I built and GSXR1000 I just sold. The only thing I have left is my KTM 950 SM, I don't think most people know the kind of speed these bikes are capable of :)

I do! Very Very Fast, more than the average person/rider can handle. Here is a fun one, I was at the mopar nationals about 6 years ago and I had my 604 cid Hemi Cuda vert. 528 rwhp corrected through the exhaust, 822 rwhp on Nitrous. My friend with a 472 cid Challenger decided he wanted a top end run...it's 4 lanes in Columbus Oh. So he hits it and I hit it we are easily doing over 130 mph. 2 guys on bikes out accelerated and passed us on a wheelie !!!! That is the truth with no exaggeration....I have been a bike guy since I was 10, my last bike was a Yamaha V max. Now I only ride dirt bikes with my kid....CR 250 Honda. He picks on me but I don't see too many almost 50 year olds riding MX tracks!!

I didn't sk for safety tips, we are all aware of the safety hazards of racing on the streets, but I see it everyday. I was just asking for stories. If ther are none then fine. If there are im sure we would all like to know on how our cares performed.

Hey when somebody does that to me I mess with them to the next light and then I show them my Police badge usually makes them wake up and then I dump my clutch leaving them with teir mouth hanging

Anthony

2007 shelby gt

14yrs NYPD

post-18733-1213835586.jpg

post-18733-1213835586.jpg

:hysterical:

Hey when somebody does that to me I mess with them to the next light and then I show them my Police badge usually makes them wake up and then I dump my clutch leaving them with teir mouth hanging

Anthony

2007 shelby gt

14yrs NYPD

:hysterical:

Ok besides having the coolest wheels I have seen, your a bike guy too! That KTM is killer I almost went for one the last new bike I got, I went drz only for the tight trails on the Penninsula. WOW! You rule! cool.

Ok besides having the coolest wheels I have seen, your a bike guy too! That KTM is killer I almost went for one the last new bike I got, I went drz only for the tight trails on the Penninsula. WOW! You rule! cool.

:hysterical: I used to love the dirt but my body betrays me old age is no fun :) I like go insanely fast on bikes, the Shelby is an effort to wean myself off of them for longevity sake lol Hey how come you aren't making it to any of the west side events ?

I hope I don't offend with my story as it involves my GT500.I did have an 07 Shelby GT at one time,Pre divorce :censored: A friend of mine has an 04 Mustang GT,5 speed,4:10 gears,CAI and some kind of tune and exhaust.I haven't seen him in a while but caught him leaving a gas station in town last week.He is 180 lbs tops and riding alone.I'm 195,My son is 170 and we have a full tank of fuel,Not sure about his level.He wants to go from a 10 mph roll as he has touble with traction,As if I don't.I tell him that I'll leave on him as he is getting a little cocky so i give it back.By the top of second gear he was 7 cars behind me.Ouch!He wants to try it from a 30 mph roll as he said he just spun the tires.OK,Same results roughly.I guess he figured i was toast because my car is stock.LOL!I told himhe needed to go get his brothers LT1 96 Z28 and this time bring me some gas money.No call as of yet but I'm hoping to catch him when I'm empty so he can fill my tank. :happy feet:

:hysterical: I used to love the dirt but my body betrays me old age is no fun :) I like go insanely fast on bikes, the Shelby is an effort to wean myself off of them for longevity sake lol Hey how come you aren't making it to any of the west side events ?

Well we shared the same thought, I sold my R1 after getting the SGT for the same reason. Man what an amazing bike! Sad part is you get sssoooo used to the power and speed, funny. I still got the old HD I have had forever and my DRZ for trails/messing around the neighborhood. The last event was Grabbers party down south but he said no kids preferred so I bailed, I have a 6 year old and we have few things we do without our kid. I did the autocross invite but no-one took me up on it. Keep me posted and I will show up to the next event if I can.

Archived