TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How do you feel about the GT 500 Clones that are out there?

We were at a car show today & this guy had a mustang he was trying to pass off as a real gt500. He had it listed as a shelby gt500. I called him on it I said that is not a real one... he said how do you know... I said I have a real one 2 isles over... I said not to mention, the real one has a plate on the motor... & the vert gt500 has no roll bar... he said damn you got me this is a clone, I call it the poor mans shelby...

Just wondering everyone thoughts on it...

Any classic will breed imitators. Be happy that the GT500 is already in that realm - and that you have the real thing.

CZ's will never be worth what diamonds are, and the same is true for clones. ;)

It doesn't bother me a bit. Clones have been around for as long as I can remember and they always will be.

As long as they are not trying to sell it to someone trying to pass it off as the real deal.

If they want to tell everyone it is real that's their problem. They are the ones that have to live with themselve and look in the mirror everyday.

My dealer had a clone that wore all of the extras including a big brake package.They finally dumped it for 33K and that was a good deal for someone.It also said GT500 C in the stripes.

I can tolerate clones as long as they are honestly represented as a clone. Saying a clone is a real version is downright deceitful.

+1

I think a clone is actually a complement, but don't be deceitful about it...................

OK, gotta go drive now. :shift:

:dance::dance::dance:

yeah, I caught up to a red stripe coupe the other day that had all the markings, and hood even, but the rear tires were wrong, and then I noticed no shelby lettering. As he turned off, I got a good look at his side stripes....GT 350....

But I don't really care, I was releived it wasn't one to be honest. I still haven't seen a real red stripe in my area, which makes mine a little more special!

The biggest problem I have with clones is although the person who built the clone may be 100% honest/upfront on its origins when its time to sell it whos to say if the second or third owner will do the same.

MY08GT500, your experience is like many I've had. That owner misled the folks putting on the car show and he obviously was misleading the spectators until you called him on it.

Not much that can be done except for buyers to be as educated as they can.

Steve

I've tossed around the idea of making a clone myself with the left over parts from when I Supersnake my cars. I still might do it.

The biggest problem I have with clones is although the person who built the clone may be 100% honest/upfront on its origins when its time to sell it whos to say if the second or third owner will do the same.

MY08GT500, your experience is like many I've had. That owner misled the folks putting on the car show and he obviously was misleading the spectators until you called him on it.

Not much that can be done except for buyers to be as educated as they can.

Steve

So true... People who buy them in the future need to know about the vin #'s. Who knows maybe they can even change them with the crooks now a days!

The part that bugged me about this guy & the the clone thing I posted is that the dude never changed the id on the car at the show... even when I called him on it...And, He won a trophy! The real GT500 got none... but he is at loss, I drove away with the real prize & what he wants, "THE REAL GT 500"!

Thanks for your posts & I agree it is a real form of flattery, but people should be honest about it.

My 89 is a clone. The last 3 years I've taken it to the car show I have to tell at least 3 people that I don't belong in with the Saleen's. Then everyone walks by and asks why I'm not with the Saleen group. It's a clone and if you know the cars well enough you can tell. Mine's missing all the badging. The only Saleen parts are the body pieces and the window graphic...well then there's the Momo steering wheel that Saleen used so that can go either way I suppose. I don't plan on selling it, but I could see someone being dishonest enough to add the badging and trying to pass it off.

Again though...as was already stated about flattery. The KR's and SS's are cool and how many of us want to add some of those pieces to our cars?

I priced out how much to take a GT and make a GT 500 clone...the answer came up hands down...buy the real deal.

That's what's great about Mustangs though...the HUGE aftermarket where we can build what we want...clones included.

Cloning = Flattery...as long as it's honest.

What is the cost savings of a clone????????????

Price a Mustang GT + the cost to clone it...........or just purchase a GT500???????????

For what most dealers are still asking for a GT500, probably close to around a $20,000 savings. There was a conversion kit with all the body panels and hood for $3000 on ebay a couple of weeks ago. The KR conversion kit was the same price. Just no KR grille and fender emblems. As I said in another post, if you can get hold of the KR emblems you can drive down the street looking fly in your $150,000 ride that you paid $25,000 for. Fake, sure, but the people who do that could car less. I understand the psychology of being a wannabe. It doesn't mean they are a bad person. They just can't afford what they really want. Been there, done that. Took me nearly 40 years after I bought my first car to be able to afford a car like the GT500.

This is a subject as old as muscle cars.....all the clones/tributes whatever you want to call them that I built over the years were because I didn't want to modify a original Hemi car.....I wanted better and could not see hacking an original up. Todays clones are a little harder to understand, they as of right now will not be worth what you put into them and almost anyone with semi decent credit could buy an original. As far as making the clone better than an original it would be expensive and tough with todays cars.....I just don't see any reason to build one....but thats just me!

We were at a car show today & this guy had a mustang he was trying to pass off as a real gt500. He had it listed as a shelby gt500. I called him on it I said that is not a real one... he said how do you know... I said I have a real one 2 isles over... I said not to mention, the real one has a plate on the motor... & the vert gt500 has no roll bar... he said damn you got me this is a clone, I call it the poor mans shelby...

Just wondering everyone thoughts on it...

Son of GT and I have run into a clone here in SoCal. This guy has a YELLOW Mustang GT that he has changed the front and back fender parts, hood, SVT wheels and tires from a stock GT500, a GT500 rear wing, snake emblems, and black stripes. Its still yellow. He tells everybody that its a special build from Shelby. We have cornered him on his story but he continues to spread the lie. The obvious proof is that the car does not have brembos on the front, 5 speed tranny, and the tach is on the left. he refuses to open the hood which would be the final straw. We were at Bobs Bigboy a few weeks ago when he drove into the parking lot and after seeing us promptly left and parked across the street were you couldn't see his car. I personally would never drive a clone as I have subscribed to the following truth. If you are patient enough to wait to get the real thing, you will never be disappointed. I would be disappointed with a clone. A clone will always be a clone.

ShelbySteve

post-8657-1212817963.jpg

post-8657-1212817978.jpg

post-8657-1212817963.jpg

post-8657-1212817978.jpg

Depends on the how you are doing the clone I guess. If you are going for the look and some of the performance parts, but not trying to pass it off as genuine, then sure, have fun. If you are passing it of as the real thing, like the guy in the show or the yellow "special" build, then that is wrong. Yeah, he's "special" all right. Guess you can call that the short bus build as its yellow.

I've seen pics of a clone that had most of the body work, slightly different hood, different wheels, but he's not passing it off as a real Shelby and does not want any Shelby/Cobra badges - had the running horse emblems.

Worse I saw, and I had to laugh and still do to this day. Right before you could get a GT500 I saw a guy on Rt 3 in Mass. with a GT that had "SHELBY" in the left hand corner, Cobra emblems, spoiler, stripes, BUT had GT wheels, GT front end - and the best - front end was headlight - fog light - horse - cobra - fog light - headlight. Wonder if he paid his $25K ADM for that one.

Andy

Son of GT and I have run into a clone here in SoCal. This guy has a YELLOW Mustang GT that he has changed the front and back fender parts, SVT wheels and tires from a stock GT500, a GT500 rear wing, snake emblems, and black stripes. Its still yellow. He tells everybody that its a special build from Shelby. We have cornered him on his story but he continues to spread the lie. The obvious proof is that the car does not have brembos on the front, 5 speed tranny, and the tach is on the left. he refuses to open the hood which would be the final straw. We were at Bobs Bigboy a few weeks ago when he drove into the parking lot and after seeing us promptly left and parked across the street were you couldn't see his car. I personally would never drive a clone as I have subscribed to the following truth. If you are patient enough to wait to get the real thing, you will never be disappointed. I would be disappointed with a clone. A clone will always be a clone.

ShelbySteve

Is a Cobra kit different from a clone? Are the folks who built awesome and accurate 427 SC's just "wannabes"...... ?

Speaking for clone guys out there. I do not even hide the fact that my car is an '07 GT. I preferred the look of the GT500 and decided to add my own little personal touches along the way, but if someone approaches me and says hey thats a nice shelby, I will be the first to admit to them that its not. And them walk them through and tell them why and what I have done to my car.

I think that a well-done clone with "GT500C" in the stripes is rather charming. :)

Back in the '80s I knew a fellow who was desperately in love with the Lamborghini Countach, but of course couldn't afford its stratospheric price. So he got an old Pontiac Fiero and did a startlingly god job of transforming its bodywork. The basic difference was that it was much easier to get into his car than a real Countach, much roomier & more comfortable inside, and next to nothing to maintain. With some tuned mufflers it sounded appropriately arrogant, and most wouldn't know the difference unless a real Lambo happened along (miniscule odds). Obviously the 100mph+ performance was not there, but neither were the speeding tickets. I gave him two thumbs up for making his dream happen.

I assume it was a kit something like this.

Michael

I parked next to a white/blue "GT350" once. I thought it was really cool, from the outside you wouldn't tell the difference except for the "350" on the stripe. I had a coffee on the patio and watched the car for almost an hour. The guy never showed. I left, went to the bank, came back 15 minutes later and he was gone...

• 2 weeks later...

Definition of Clone: "one that appears to be a copy of an original form". Example; a computer that fails and is replaced by a like and similar computer is then remapped and any stored information transferred over to the new computer -- this is considered a "cloned" computer. Nothing original about a GT turned into a Shelby. A GT sold as a GT remains a GT. A Shelby GT500 sold as a Shelby GT500 remains a Shelby GT500. Clones, Tributes and so on only devalues the name and detracts from the prestige of owning a Shelby. If the clone owner clearly state and explain upfront that their clone is not what it appears to be, then let the on looker decide if it's a wanna bee, compliment, or pure fraud. However, the original thread read more of a fraud until confronted by the owner of a true Shelby. Sounds like the clone owner was happy to let everyone think it was a Shelby until he was exposed for the phoney that he and the car really was.

Two thumbs down on clones.

Airborne

I have no problem with it at all as long as the owner is honest that it is a "tribute" and they are not trying to pass or sell the car as something it is not. I have no problem with folks putting on the badges and emblems as long as they are tastefully done. Where I draw the line is falsifying VIN numbers, odometers, etc. and fabricating fake CSM plates (which is illegal and dishonest).

Shelby has a slogan "If it's not a Shelby, it's not a Cobra", referring to all the other kit-car Cobra look-alike roadster manufacturers out there. Other than that, the tribute Cobra roadsters and the tribute Mustang "cobras" are cool cars that people who may not be able to afford a real Shelby Cobra roadster or other Shelby Mustang can enjoy.

It's your car, put corvette emblems on it if it makes you happy, just be honest.

Saw a GT that had GT 350 on the side and Cobra emblems on the fenders. Also had the ducktail spoiler and Shelby on the rear deck. Although it still had the GT on the faux gas cap. If your going to have the Cobra's on the side and Shelby on the rear, why wouldn't you swap out the gas cap too? :headscratch:

Don't really like all the half a$$ clones out there. Everytime they lose to some ricer it kinda gives the real guys a bad name.

BTW, I'm always in my company van when I see these guys, wishing I were in the Shelby.

Archived