TEAM SHELBY FORUM

HELP! Steeda Pulley/idler question

Money

Changed the stock blower pulley out for the Steeda and added the Steeda Idler. Before this change, I was seeing 9 psi on the boost gauge. Now I'm only seeing between 7 and 8??? Car does seem a little quicker, but shouldn't the boost be closer to 12? Only other mods are Diablo programmer(used the 2.7 pulley and CAI tune), K&N CAI and Magnaflow axle-backs. Any suggestions?

The only thing I can think of that could possibly cause the boost to drop would be either the belt is slipping or the pulley is slipping on the shaft. The pulley should be fairly easy to check, mark the front of the shaft and the pulley and then do some hard runs. You can us a marking pen (sharpie) or white out.

The belt is a little harder to tell. You can check if there is a lot of belt dust after a hard run.

When I sent my Tvs in to have it ported, Bob at Steggy's said my stock look pressed on pulley was turning on the shaft......may have been the reason I only did 683 with the stage 4. They now pin the pulleys from what I was told.

I will watch to see what you find out, unfortunately most of the "old timers" don't seem to post here any more so that is why questions don't get answered as much.

Best of luck

Steve

The only thing I can think of that could possibly cause the boost to drop would be either the belt is slipping or the pulley is slipping on the shaft. The pulley should be fairly easy to check, mark the front of the shaft and the pulley and then do some hard runs. You can us a marking pen (sharpie) or white out.

The belt is a little harder to tell. You can check if there is a lot of belt dust after a hard run.

When I sent my Tvs in to have it ported, Bob at Steggy's said my stock look pressed on pulley was turning on the shaft......may have been the reason I only did 683 with the stage 4. They now pin the pulleys from what I was told.

I will watch to see what you find out, unfortunately most of the "old timers" don't seem to post here any more so that is why questions don't get answered as much.

Best of luck

Steve

Thanks Steve.

I'll try marking the pulley and shaft today. As for the belt, there were no clear(to me) instructions on how tight the belt needs to be. What should I look for when adjusting the belt?

Josh

Thanks Steve.

I'll try marking the pulley and shaft today. As for the belt, there were no clear(to me) instructions on how tight the belt needs to be. What should I look for when adjusting the belt?

Josh

Josh

Try to get as much belt wrap as you can around the supercharger pulley. From what I gather the tighter the better as far as the aux pulley setup. The factory tensioner shouldn't really allow you to over tighten unless you get to the point that it is bottomed out.

Josh

Try to get as much belt wrap as you can around the supercharger pulley. From what I gather the tighter the better as far as the aux pulley setup. The factory tensioner shouldn't really allow you to over tighten unless you get to the point that it is bottomed out.

Thanks for the help Steve. I'll give both a try.

The Aux pulley should provide the max belt wrap around the snout pulley. I have the 2.6 Metco with their Aux Idler and without going with a larger Idler, doubt it would fit, I can't see how you would increase belt wrap anymore. If you're seeing only 9lbs of boost something else is wrong. A boost line possibly not on completely or your stock gauge is way off. I don't think anything in the tune could cause your issue, but a slipping snout pulley would surely cause it like others have said. I see around 13 to 13.5lbs at WOT using the stock belt and haven't noticed any boost drop like some of the 03/04 Cobras had with stock blower after a pulley swap and with the exhaust mods you mentioned, doesn't sound like anything there would cause you to lose boost......I would also go to a board where the 03/04 Cobra guys hang out. They are heavily versed in pulley swaps/boost loss.....etc, someplace like SVTPerformance.com might help.......

Aux pulley is set for maximum tension. I marked the pulley and the snout. Made several HARD runs. No variation from the mark that I made. Only saw 8psi at WOT. Car "seems" to be pulling harder than before. Anybody familiar with the boost line locations on this beast? Hopefully a loose line is the culprit. Thanks for the suggestions!

At least you don't have to worry about any mechanical problems. All you can really do is check all connections to the supercharger,intake,and cai. Many have said the factory boost gauges are very inaccurate, mine pegs anytime I touch the gas slightly on the coupe.I am not that familiar with the Steeda setup but I do know when I put the Evo stage 2 on my vert it was a big jump in hp.....you would know it.

Maybe someone will be on the board that has an idea of whats up.

The only other thing would be to give Steeda a call on Monday.

Steve

Archived