TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Which oil to use???

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The debate on "best" will never end, but that's okay. Nice to refresh some topics from time to time.

I use straight up 5W20 Motrocraft multisynthetic blend. I get it in bulk at my L/M dealership, and a drain with filter is under 22.00. I do this every 2500 miles, because I believe the best oil is clean oil. It's also nice to get a peek under the car for any other problems that may be developing. I also want my routine service logged into my OASIS.

That said, before you change grades and weights, be aware that the lubrication system on the 4.6L-3V is tied at the hip with the cooling system. If you make the wrong choice in weights, you may cause overheating, which leads to detonation and possible pre-ignition if the fuel quality is also off a tad (quite possible these days). Likewise, choose your filter carefully. Some filters have a cheesy anti-drainback valve that can pop out at high RPM. Once this falls into the crankcase, expect problems. I know for sure that WIX and Fram filters have weak valves.

With regard to warranty, if you are going to do this yourself, keep a log book and receipts for the purchase of supplies. As long as your choice in oil and filter meet FMC specs, you should be okay.

Do you like your warranty?Sure you do!I would recommend using the Motorcraft 5-20 blend as it does a fine job and meets the criteria and costs very little.If you don't want to use it,Do some research and you will see that the viscosity difference hot between 2-20 and 5-30 is largely based on which brand you choose.Good luck in your search!

Me? Royal Purple and a K&N 2010 oil filer in both cars.

I'm running 5W-20 Mobil 1 Synthetic with a Motorcraft filter.

The synthetic oil is probably overkill since I'm only putting about 3,000 miles/year on the car and will change the oil at least once a season even though the synthetic oil is rated for more miles than the synthetic blends.

It is a matter of preference, but I've chosen to err on the side of caution since I hope to keep my SGT for a long time!

First oil change I used Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend and a Ford racing oil filter..

Mobil 1 5w-20 full synthetic with the Ford racing FL820 filter will be used...on all future oil changes...

I'm running 5W-20 Mobil 1 Synthetic with a Motorcraft filter.

The synthetic oil is probably overkill since I'm only putting about 3,000 miles/year on the car and will change the oil at least once a season even though the synthetic oil is rated for more miles than the synthetic blends.

It is a matter of preference, but I've chosen to err on the side of caution since I hope to keep my SGT for a long time!

Thanks for the info everyone. I will use the Mobil 1 5W-20. I always use Mobil 1 full synthetic in my vehicles if they make a product that meets the manufacturer's specs.

Well, since my purchase price included free maintenance during the warranty period, I just let Ford do it using the recommended Motorcraft stuff. When I'm past that stage I intend to switch to Mobil 1.

Well, I just crossed over the 3000 mark , I have just chaged to Mobil 1 synthetic 5W20- I wonder how long it would hold up, I mean untill I have to chage it again. Is it not true that you can have longer intervals when using synthetic? I mean Mercedes don't chage their oil for like 10,000 miles or so......I would'nt do that to my SGT but how about 5000 miles?

Well, I just crossed over the 3000 mark , I have just chaged to Mobil 1 synthetic 5W20- I wonder how long it would hold up, I mean untill I have to chage it again. Is it not true that you can have longer intervals when using synthetic? I mean Mercedes don't chage their oil for like 10,000 miles or so......I would'nt do that to my SGT but how about 5000 miles?

FR1, I see you're from Fla so you don't store your car over the winter months and it probably gets up to full operating temperature each time you drive it so every 5,000 miles seems totally reasonable with full synthetic oil. If you were in a colder climate and put limited miles per year and condensation (getting moisture and contaminates in the oil) was a problem, then you might not want to wait so long. But for a daily driver, no problem.

Jim

FR1, I see you're from Fla so you don't store your car over the winter months and it probably gets up to full operating temperature each time you drive it so every 5,000 miles seems totally reasonable with full synthetic oil. If you were in a colder climate and put limited miles per year and condensation (getting moisture and contaminates in the oil) was a problem, then you might not want to wait so long. But for a daily driver, no problem.

Jim

Thanks for the info Jim. I tell you, I run this car hard and I am not afraid of driving it like I stole it :shift: ,especially down here in Miami :woot:....hey, I think I just caught another chic staring at my ride while she was in her man's BMW :happy feet:...you see those kinds of vehicles all day long down here so I feel like my SGT is special!!!!!!

ShelbyHomestead012.jpg

Everyone that is passionate about their SGt is probably just as passionate about the long term protection of the vehicle. So lets try to stick with the facts re oil.

1 Ford recommended 5W-20 synthetic blend in 2007 and I believe full synthetic in 2008. If that be the case, and the engine did not change between 2007 and 2008, Ford is recommending full synthetic.

2. Some will tell you it is ok to use dino (conventional) oil as long as it is clean. However, conventional oil will not remain clean as long as synthetic, hence use synthetic.

3. Ford recommends 5W-20 but SAI recommends 5W-30. Ford is concerned with achieving better gas mileage whereas SAI is more concerned with long term protection of the engine. SAI is not concerned with gas mileage as they are not under CAFE restrictions.

4. When engineers design an engine they also determine the proper weight oil to use for bearing, and side clearances. Ford designed the 4.6 motor to use 5W-30 oil back in the early nineties. Unless they have redesigned the motor and changed the clearances then the motor is still designed to use 30 weight oil. It is my opinion, and I could be wrong, but I believe Ford switched to 5W-20 only to achieve better mileage for CAFE restrictions. And yes I am aware that oil also acts as a coolant in addition to a lubricant.

5. 0W-30 oil flows at a lower temperature than 5W oil. Since probably 80+% of engine wear occurs when the key is first turned the secret is to use the oil that flows the quickest and gets to the working parts as soon as possible. Synthetic oil usually has a lower flow temperature than synthetic blend or dino-conventional oil.

6. Full synthetic oil reduces not only wear but friction, hence reduced wear and better gas mileage.

7. For all of the above I use full synthetic 0W-30 oil and the best filter I can find, trapping the smallest micron amount.

I am sure this post is like throwing gas on the fire but if anyone can prove any of the above inaccurate I am open to discussion. If you are really passionate about your SGT I believe you will pay an extra 5-10.00 per oil change to reduce wear, friction, and obtain better mileage. With the price of gas ever increasing full synthetic will probably save any additional cost with savings in fuel mileage. Obviously even Ford recommends full synthetic now. If you love your SGT, give it the best. When Ford spoke of using the synthetic blend in 2007 that was the minimum, not the best available. In 2008 Ford raised the bar to full synthetic. Who wants to use the bare minimum requirements on such an important part of our lives?????????

Everyone that is passionate about their SGt is probably just as passionate about the long term protection of the vehicle. So lets try to stick with the facts re oil.

1 Ford recommended 5W-20 synthetic blend in 2007 and I believe full synthetic in 2008. If that be the case, and the engine did not change between 2007 and 2008, Ford is recommending full synthetic.

2. Some will tell you it is ok to use dino (conventional) oil as long as it is clean. However, conventional oil will not remain clean as long as synthetic, hence use synthetic.

3. Ford recommends 5W-20 but SAI recommends 5W-30. Ford is concerned with achieving better gas mileage whereas SAI is more concerned with long term protection of the engine. SAI is not concerned with gas mileage as they are not under CAFE restrictions.

4. When engineers design an engine they also determine the proper weight oil to use for bearing, and side clearances. Ford designed the 4.6 motor to use 5W-30 oil back in the early nineties. Unless they have redesigned the motor and changed the clearances then the motor is still designed to use 30 weight oil. It is my opinion, and I could be wrong, but I believe Ford switched to 5W-20 only to achieve better mileage for CAFE restrictions. And yes I am aware that oil also acts as a coolant in addition to a lubricant.

5. 0W-30 oil flows at a lower temperature than 5W oil. Since probably 80+% of engine wear occurs when the key is first turned the secret is to use the oil that flows the quickest and gets to the working parts as soon as possible. Synthetic oil usually has a lower flow temperature than synthetic blend or dino-conventional oil.

6. Full synthetic oil reduces not only wear but friction, hence reduced wear and better gas mileage.

7. For all of the above I use full synthetic 0W-30 oil and the best filter I can find, trapping the smallest micron amount.

I am sure this post is like throwing gas on the fire but if anyone can prove any of the above inaccurate I am open to discussion. If you are really passionate about your SGT I believe you will pay an extra 5-10.00 per oil change to reduce wear, friction, and obtain better mileage. With the price of gas ever increasing full synthetic will probably save any additional cost with savings in fuel mileage. Obviously even Ford recommends full synthetic now. If you love your SGT, give it the best. When Ford spoke of using the synthetic blend in 2007 that was the minimum, not the best available. In 2008 Ford raised the bar to full synthetic. Who wants to use the bare minimum requirements on such an important part of our lives?????????

I would say thats right on the money and matches my thinking exaclty.

Amazing! This post has been up about 40 hours and no detractors claiming the world will come to an end if you use 30 weight full synthetic oil. Have we finally won the discussion? Can we all agree that Ford states a minimum requirement and we should exceed the requirement if we are passionate about the vehicle.?

1. Ford is still with the 5-20 syn blend in 2008

2. Its the durability of the additives, not "cleanliness"

3. SAI does not recommend 5-30 for 2008. SAI couldn't care a hoot about the "long term protection" - like Ford, as long as it makes 36,000 miles, they're happy.

4. Your 4.6 is significantly different than the early 90's and 5-20 has been the 4.6 staple if the 2000's. Still, if you really think you're running a 90's motor keep on with the 30-weight.

5. 5, 6 and 7 are personal opinion for the most part. I really have seen no proof that your routine of "full synthetic 0W-30 oil and the best filter" is any better or worse than the 5-20 synblend + Ford filter changed at 5,000 miles. Ford did not move to a full syn recommendation in 2008; you are mistaken.

By the way, how many more mpg are you actually claiming by using the full syn over the blend? How about some "real" numbers in place of your broad statements?

You believe in what you do, I'll keep doing mine

Amazing! This post has been up about 40 hours and no detractors claiming the world will come to an end if you use 30 weight full synthetic oil. Have we finally won the discussion? Can we all agree that Ford states a minimum requirement and we should exceed the requirement if we are passionate about the vehicle.?

"Won" what discussion? Who really gives a hoot if you want to use 30 weight - go ahead.

No, you won nothing. Silence is not agreement

Ford states the recommended lubrication, and not the "minimum" as you wish all to believe. If you exceed it, more power to you, but "exceed" does not imply using 30 weight. And NO, I can be passionate and not exceed the recomendation. Hell, they recommend 91-octane so do you use 106 racing gas because it "exceeds" the recomendation? And Ford recomends a 90-140 for the rear axle so do you use a 200W back there so you "exceed" their recomendation?

1. Ford is still with the 5-20 syn blend in 2008

2. Its the durability of the additives, not "cleanliness"

3. SAI does not recommend 5-30 for 2008. SAI couldn't care a hoot about the "long term protection" - like Ford, as long as it makes 36,000 miles, they're happy.

4. Your 4.6 is significantly different than the early 90's and 5-20 has been the 4.6 staple if the 2000's. Still, if you really think you're running a 90's motor keep on with the 30-weight.

5. 5, 6 and 7 are personal opinion for the most part. I really have seen no proof that your routine of "full synthetic 0W-30 oil and the best filter" is any better or worse than the 5-20 synblend + Ford filter changed at 5,000 miles. Ford did not move to a full syn recommendation in 2008; you are mistaken.

By the way, how many more mpg are you actually claiming by using the full syn over the blend? How about some "real" numbers in place of your broad statements?

You believe in what you do, I'll keep doing mine

Concur it is the durability of the additives. However, the durability will make the oil last longer and not turn to sludge, gunk, varnish, etc. Synthetic oils are more molecularly stable and hence do not break down as fast so the oil does remain clean longer.

I know the 4.6 was designed for 5W-30, unless Ford changed the bearing clearances and side clearances etc then the engine should still function well with 30 weight and 30 will give added protection due to a slightly thicker film. Ford may have changed the clearances and re-designed the motor to work with 20 weight oil. I do not know. If someone is aware of the redesign please apprise me.

I had read where ford moved to full synthetic in 2008. I could be wrong as I do not own a 2008.

re mileage figures I do not have real world mileage stats. The synthetic companies claim about 3-5%. Since the full synthetic does reduce friction it would seem to increase mileage, probably minimally.

And re the statement re won. That was only to encourage discussion. It seemed the dino and synthetic blend crowd was sleeping. again, no offense. It was only to encourage discussion. And I concur with you that we all need to do what we believe in. Good Luck!

they do for the 2007 and i would guess the 2008s also check youre epa sticker under the hood. as for the 36k statment i would have to agree but hope that they made them to last longer.

interesting. i wonder why they would flip flop like that? my epa sticker says 5-30 as do the sgt-h ones.

Who knows - maybe a typo! From a cynical perspective I couldn't SAI eating the costs of changing the factory 5-20 fill for a 5-30 in any case - just like the Racing Oil Filter that never made it.

Archived