TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What's In a Name?

68fastback

The Value of the S_H_E_L_B_Y name  

45 members have voted

1. 1. For you specifically, does the name SHELBY on the GT500 affect how much YOU PERSONALLY will be (or were) willing to pay for this car?

• Yes - significantly affects my willingness to pay more
    • Yes - somewhat affects my willingness to pay more
    • No - not really, the car itself is what matters
    • Uncertain
  2. 2. If you answered YES above, approximately how much more are/were you willing to pay FOR THE SHELBY NAME on the GT500?

• $0 (I answered "NO-not really" above)
    • $0-2K
    • $2-5K
    • $5-10K
    • $10-25K
    • Over $25K
    • Uncertain
  3. 3. If the exact same GT500 were labelled SVT Cobra GT500 would it's value be diminished FOR YOU (not in general)

• Yes it would
    • No, not really
    • Uncertain
  4. 4. What percentage of Shelby GT500 purchasers DO YOU FEEL are willing to pay more for the SHELBY name?

• Small percentage (about 15% or less)
    • Moderate percentage (about 15-30%)
    • Significant percentage (about 30-50%)
    • The Majority of all GT500 buyers
    • I have no specific opinion on this

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started thinking about getting a new Mustang a couple of years ago when the Terminators were out. I held out because I'd seen the '05 concept pictures and I really liked the new styling. I considered getting a Mustang GT but then heard rumours that the new SVT Cobra might have 500 horsepower so I decided to wait for that. I'd still be purchasing the car even if it didn't have the Shelby name on it just because I love Mustangs.

These are the ones I've owned over the years:

1965 Fastback - 289 4V 'A' code Auto

1969 Convertible - 351W 2V Auto

1973 Coupe with Mach 1 hood - 351C 4V Auto

I must admit, the Shelby name makes a big difference for me. My wife is a mustang nut and she is related (distantly) to Carroll Shelby. I just had to buy her this car.

:happy feet:

Me too. My first car was a '66 Fastback. Had to tow it home. I fell in love with mustangs and read everything I could about the history of the car. The Shelby cars were unique and that's what I had dreamed of. Fast forward 20 years, now mature family guy with responsibilities. Wife has the SUV and I've owned trucks exclusively since 1998. I found out Shelby and Ford mended the relationship and collaborated on a new mustang. This put me over the edge. Picked it up in July. Couldn't be happier.

Do you buy the car for the name (or the name for the car, or...)?

Do you feel others do/don't do likewise?

Any opinion is fair game... feel free to express thineself ;)

:sos:

Myself is not happy, they just sold the svt truck, I have a new shelby I love it and and I really appreciate what stv guys did over the years. Carroll Shelby is agreat guy and one of a kind for sure, I met him, he was real interested, easy to talk to treated me like he had known me all his life, I had an original 289 cobra, this helped I'm sure, but he was a real gentleman. I still hope there is stv in the future. By the way Mr 68, I look for, and carefully read all of you'r posts, we are lucky to have you on this board.

Guest evilchris

I can't believe people would feel less value in the car had it been called SVT. Amazing. SVT is the reason this car exists, not Shelby. There's one born every minute they say....

Those people can fool themselves all they want, but they can't ignore the SVT sill plates and SVT valve covers.

Ford conducted the most successful hype and marketing campaign in recent memory, it's astounding how many people fell into it.

Carroll should make a deal with Ford to put his name on trucks, focus's, fusions, the whole lineup. Ford would be profitable again in no time with all the suckers out there!

I can't believe people would feel less value in the car had it been called SVT. Amazing. SVT is the reason this car exists, not Shelby. There's one born every minute they say....

Those people can fool themselves all they want, but they can't ignore the SVT sill plates and SVT valve covers.

Ford conducted the most successful hype and marketing campaign in recent memory, it's astounding how many people fell into it.

Carroll should make a deal with Ford to put his name on trucks, focus's, fusions, the whole lineup. Ford would be profitable again in no time with all the suckers out there!

If I try real hard, I think I understand what your saying. Is it that SVT was the real creater of the Shelby and by just sticking a Shelby name on the car doesn't make it a higher performance car? And is that you don't think a number people realize that?

Well, I do agree with most of it. However the Shelby name as some value in the market as the general public (non-car) people have heard of Shelby and they relate that name to performance. Right or wrong it is just fact. At least it has a better basis than the new Hemi hype.

I also believe a lot of people on the site are aware of the marketing value of the name Shelby. In the case of new Shelby, you get the performance and the mystic in one package. :cheerleader:

OK, heres my $0.02. I purchased a new Mustang in 1993 and I told the salesman at that time that Ford should build a Mustang with a 5.4L with a supercharger with a lot more horsepower. Well Ford finally did it. The icing on the cake is that Carroll Shelby has alittle to do with it. If he didn't have his name on the car I would still buy it! Buy the way, I purchased a 66 Shelby in 2000 just because I have always wanted one, not for an investment. Well since I've owned the car the value has gone up about 8.5 times. You think this might have any reason for me buying a new Shelby? HELL yes! Do I think the new car will go up in value? I couldn't care less!

Hello Chris, the Shelby name means alot to alot of people, including me. Ford had been waiting for the "right" Mustang for a long time, to have a partnership in with Mr. Shelby. Why are you so critical of anyone with a different view than yours? The bottom line is the car is a Ford Shelby GT500, nothing else.

Guest evilchris

None of the other Cobra's were the "right" Mustang?

Why are you critical of my view? Swings both ways. I am used to being flamed for my views here. It's very hypocritical though. I get people who flame me saying why am I critical etc... gee, they are being critical of me for even saying so. lol

I think the Shelby fiasco has badly hurt what this car is to a lot of people including me. BTW the car is "Powered by SVT" not Shelby. Keep that in mind. =) Read your valve covers!

Did you buy a Shelby Charger in the 80's?

I cant believe I am going to defend Evil Chris but.................here goes.

SVT was the one who made this car, Carroll may have had some input, but SVT developed it. Now I don't agree with him that Shelby hasn't elevated the stature of the car, because it has.

Don't get mad at Chris, he is just who he is, replete of some of political correctness skills some if the other fine gentlemen and women have. Well, OK, you can get mad at him if you want to :fan:

SVT was the one who made this car, Carroll may have had some input, but SVT developed it. Now I don't agree with him that Shelby hasn't elevated the stature of the car, because it has.

Don't get mad at Chris, he is just who he is, replete of some of political correctness skills some if the other fine gentlemen and women have. Well, OK, you can get mad at him if you want to :fan:

Hello, I'm not mad at Chris, I think he has good input. I just think he is critical of me and alot of other Shelby owners, because the "Shelby" name means alot to us. Thats all.

I don't get mad at EC, he makes some good points on occasion.

He just needs to learn some "people skills" I think.

His input, on occasion, can be insightful if you really pay attention to what he is saying.

Maybe he just needs to learn to make his point by "taking care of a splinter with tweezers instead of a chain-saw". Both methods get rid of the offending devise, but one can be a bit messy...

Bottom line, take it with a grain of salt.

Mike.

None of the other Cobra's were the "right" Mustang?

Why are you critical of my view? Swings both ways. I am used to being flamed for my views here. It's very hypocritical though. I get people who flame me saying why am I critical etc... gee, they are being critical of me for even saying so. lol

I think the Shelby fiasco has badly hurt what this car is to a lot of people including me. BTW the car is "Powered by SVT" not Shelby. Keep that in mind. =) Read your valve covers!

Did you buy a Shelby Charger in the 80's?

Hi Chris, I don't buy Dodge. The SVT name stands for alot also, no doubt!

Guest evilchris

Hello, I'm not mad at Chris, I think he has good input. I just think he is critical of me and alot of other Shelby owners, because the "Shelby" name means alot to us. Thats all.

I'm not critical of you. I think the Shelby name means a lot too, to 60's Mustangs. I view this version as a marketing campaign and nothing more. ( not the car, the nameplate ) No substance.

I throw up in my mouth a little everytime I hear " Yes but it had his blessing ".

I'm not critical of you. I think the Shelby name means a lot too, to 60's Mustangs. I view this version as a marketing campaign and nothing more. ( not the car, the nameplate ) No substance.

I throw up in my mouth a little everytime I hear " Yes but it had his blessing ".

Geez...............and just when we thought he calmed down :hysterical:

Guest evilchris

Geez...............and just when we thought he calmed down :hysterical:

There is nothing wrong with what I said. If you disagree, just debate the opinion, don't start a flame war. Quit instigating.

Carol was driving the concept 07 Shelby before Ford ever commited to building them. He had input just like the other people on the SVT Team, only difference was he has one hell of alot more experiance with building and driving race cars. The 07 Shelby GT500 is every bit a "Shelby Mustang" as any car built in the 60's. 30 years from now, the 07 GT500 will be as collectable as any 60's, but that is just my opinion.

Guest evilchris

Carol was driving the concept 07 Shelby before Ford ever commited to building them. He had input just like the other people on the SVT Team, only difference was he has one hell of alot more experiance with building and driving race cars. The 07 Shelby GT500 is every bit a "Shelby Mustang" as any car built in the 60's. 30 years from now, the 07 GT500 will be as collectable as any 60's, but that is just my opinion.

9000 built per year, HUGE percentage garage queened in mint condition....not gonna happen. =)

The old ones are valuable because most were trashed, and few were made in comparison.

I'd also argue that SVT's engineers are a hell of lot more experienced in designing and building high performance automobiles than Carroll ever was. Different generation. Go run a terminator on the track against a stock 67' GT500. I'm not doubting the man's influence and inspiration to younger engineers, but he is a thing of the past as far as skill and knowledge is concerned. Go put a WWII fighter pilot in an F22 Raptor. Think he can fly it and operate the weapons systems?

I honestly think in 30 years the 87 - 93 Fox's will be the most desirable. That's my generation. Just like baby boomers are nostalgic about the 60's cars, I will be about the late 80's Mustangs. My generation generally doesn't care about Carroll Shelby and 60's Stangs like yours does. I'm 31 for the record. Hell look at the generation after mine, they hate Mustangs for the most part! So how will the Shelby be worth a ton of money in 30 years when the people inspired by him are GONE?

OK, guess humor is out too :cry:

:baby:

9000 built per year, HUGE percentage garage queened in mint condition....not gonna happen. =)

The old ones are valuable because most were trashed, and few were made in comparison.

I'd also argue that SVT's engineers are a hell of lot more experienced in designing and building high performance automobiles than Carroll ever was. Different generation. Go run a terminator on the track against a stock 67' GT500. I'm not doubting the man's influence and inspiration to younger engineers, but he is a thing of the past as far as skill and knowledge is concerned.

:baby:

I agree, alot more are going to be garage queens. It never works very well comparing apples and oranges, but they are both great.

Guest evilchris

I agree, alot more are going to be garage queens. It never works very well comparing apples and oranges, but they are both great.

Remember Blayne, I'm not bashing your car, I want one too. Unfortunately it's only worth $43k to me though so I can't play. I'm disappointed in the marketing scheme Ford chose for this car is all.

Remember Blayne, I'm not bashing your car, I want one too. Unfortunately it's only worth $43k to me though so I can't play. I'm disappointed in the marketing scheme Ford chose for this car is all.

We’ll the bottom line for me is I’m a SVT fan. I had a 92 LX and then drooled over the 93 Cobra. In 95 I bought one (Cobra) and loved it; then drooled over the 98 when the offered it in yellow. As far as the Shelby badge, all that means to me is a longer wait for the sharks to disappear. For me all the Shelby name did was drive up the ADM. IMO

Guest evilchris

We’ll the bottom line for me is I’m a SVT fan. I had a 92 LX and then drooled over the 93 Cobra. In 95 I bought one (Cobra) and loved it; then drooled over the 98 when the offered it in yellow. As far as the Shelby badge, all that means to me is a longer wait for the sharks to disappear. For me all the Shelby name did was drive up the ADM. IMO

Proved my point thanks. How old are you for reference? I'm a Fox guy too, Shelby means nada other than "wow cool, old Shelby Mustangs".

When I'm old and grey, I'll remember SVT fondly, because I was there. I was not there for Shelby's heyday.

Proved my point thanks. How old are you for reference? I'm a Fox guy too, Shelby means nada other than "wow cool, old Shelby Mustangs".

When I'm old and grey, I'll remember SVT fondly, because I was there. I was not there for Shelby's heyday.

Chris, you said you are 31. Watch out man, time just went into overdrive for you. Next thing you know some young guy is telling you how XYZ is the Sh-t, and SVT who?

Guest evilchris

Chris, you said you are 31. Watch out man, time just went into overdrive for you. Next thing you know some young guy is telling you how XYZ is the Sh-t, and SVT who?

They already do, and it doesn't bother me at all.

Archived