TEAM SHELBY FORUM

When all said and done...It's a subaru hahaha

gringojoe

They are both cool cars. But one is a muscle car and the other is not. These ground pounders we own provide a visceral feedback you cannot get with a four cylinder motor. Not good or bad -- just very different feels with two very different cars. In the end, we all vote with our pocketbook. My two cents.

Jim

Two different type of cars for two different type of people.

Both fit the bill for what they were intended.

Mine is a daily driver, so trunk size (didn't want the Shaker 1000) and comfortable ride were important to me.

my $0.02

Comparisons like that bug me. They are completely different cars, built for completely different conditions and driving types.

Yeah, I was just thinking that too. The only thing that compares is the price. Completely different cars for different driving styles. I'm surprised it wasn't a STI/EVO comparison, that's usually what gets compared. I do like the STI though (for different reasons) and sometimes wish that Ford would come out with a turbo charged AWD SVT Focus.

Comparisons like that bug me. They are completely different cars, built for completely different conditions and driving types.

I agree, but I couldn't find a Shelby GT vs say a Charger RT. I did find a stock GT and they were close on the drag.

I have a guy at the gym who owns an M3 and he's always talking shit to me. I don't pay any attention to him, he has a nice car but in the end, I have the American Muscle. :)

I agree, but I couldn't find a Shelby GT vs say a Charger RT. I did find a stock GT and they were close on the drag.

I have a guy at the gym who owns an M3 and he's always talking shit to me. I don't pay any attention to him, he has a nice car but in the end, I have the American Muscle. :)

Yeah, how much did your buddy pay for that M3 vs. your Shelby GT? You could buy 2 Shelby GTs for the price of an M3. Plus the Shelby GT has more cool factor.

MY brother in law who owns a 2007 STI,which I thought was kind of very,well how should I put nicely....very import wanna be race car-I mean I drove it also but it just did not have the rumble and did not do o'rings on the street like my SGT . We argued alot about these two vehicles :slapfight: but oh well,I will never own a freakin 4 cylinder vehicle even if it produces damn near same horsepower!!!!!!

ShelbyHomestead014.jpg

Cars like the STI may be fun and capable but they will never have what makes the Shelby a very special car to own. American racing heritage, soul, passion, prescence, the feeling that you are driving something special and a piece of american history which all add up to the SHELBY legend. There is something special about a Shelby Mustang and it always will be. Cars like the STI just don't got it and never will!

MY brother in law who owns a 2007 STI,which I thought was kind of very,well how should I put nicely....very import wanna be race car-I mean I drove it also but it just did not have the rumble and did not do o'rings on the street like my SGT . We argued alot about these two vehicles :slapfight: but oh well,I will never own a freakin 4 cylinder vehicle even if it produces damn near same horsepower!!!!!!

ShelbyHomestead014.jpg

Its kinda funny how back then, muscle car drivers make fun of japanese tuner cars because they are all looks and can't back it up, "get a real car" is what they say. Now that we see these japanese tuners performing better than american cars, "yah but they are ugly, stang looks better" is what they say. So are we the ricers now? :hysterical:

They are both cool cars. But one is a muscle car and the other is not. These ground pounders we own provide a visceral feedback you cannot get with a four cylinder motor. Not good or bad -- just very different feels with two very different cars. In the end, we all vote with our pocketbook. My two cents.

Jim

:slapfight:

obviously the suburu's gunna get flamed on a shelby forum...

Its kinda funny how back then, muscle car drivers make fun of japanese tuner cars because they are all looks and can't back it up, "get a real car" is what they say. Now that we see these japanese tuners performing better than american cars, "yah but they are ugly, stang looks better" is what they say. So are we the ricers now? :hysterical:

Maybe in theroy at least until you add a supercharger.... :happy feet:

I'm actually thinking of buying a Sti or a Shelby, just cant quite decide yet.

I like 'em both and i've owned a few Mustangs before and an Evo. It is however a bit more fun to show someone who thinks imports are the end-all be-all of handling just how fast a Mustang can corner when driven properly.

I'm not surprised with the results. My wife's daily driver is a WRX Wagon. It is a high 13 Second car with a 5.2 second 0-60. The biggest difference between my GT 500 and the WRX is that when I do a 0-60 run in the WRX it does it with so much ease that the only people that have a clue that you did it are the people watching you pull away from them from the light. Now, when I do a run in the Shelby GT 500 with the Flowmasters every body for several blocks know because there is a lot of noise and tire smoke involved. I like both cars for different reasons. The WRX is the best overall because it has utility and performance in any environment. It works in rain, snow, dirt, mud, etc. The GT 500 is a toy that is only driven in dry weather on pavement. It is the perfect toy but the worlds worst daily driver.

Funny story: Before we purchased our GT 500 my wife test drove a Shelby GT at the same dealership. She goes through the gears in a hurry and suddenly tells the sales guy that her WRX would kick the Shelby GT's ass. He said that he had one in the show room that it would not kick it's ass. We ended up buying our GT 500 that day.

I am not loyal to any one brand but you can see from my list of cars that they are all USA except for the WRX so don't call me a rice lover.

I'm actually thinking of buying a Sti or a Shelby, just cant quite decide yet.

I like 'em both and i've owned a few Mustangs before and an Evo. It is however a bit more fun to show someone who thinks imports are the end-all be-all of handling just how fast a Mustang can corner when driven properly.

For me it comes down to the the look of the car and and the impression it gives. At out local car cruise nights the SGT gets looks and people just go on and on about how beautiful the car is. No one cares are about the STIs or the WRXs. I mean they sit without anything other than a few pimple faced kids looking at them. Just not the same....

Cars like the STI may be fun and capable but they will never have what makes the Shelby a very special car to own. American racing heritage, soul, passion, prescence, the feeling that you are driving something special and a piece of american history which all add up to the SHELBY legend. There is something special about a Shelby Mustang and it always will be. Cars like the STI just don't got it and never will!

AMEN to that! A buddy of mine has the new EVO X and even he admited there is something about an american muscle car like the Shelby GT. The EVO and STI are badass cars, but the Mustang is a legend!

I'm not surprised with the results. My wife's daily driver is a WRX Wagon. It is a high 13 Second car with a 5.2 second 0-60. The biggest difference between my GT 500 and the WRX is that when I do a 0-60 run in the WRX it does it with so much ease that the only people that have a clue that you did it are the people watching you pull away from them from the light. Now, when I do a run in the Shelby GT 500 with the Flowmasters every body for several blocks know because there is a lot of noise and tire smoke involved. I like both cars for different reasons. The WRX is the best overall because it has utility and performance in any environment. It works in rain, snow, dirt, mud, etc. The GT 500 is a toy that is only driven in dry weather on pavement. It is the perfect toy but the worlds worst daily driver.Funny story: Before we purchased our GT 500 my wife test drove a Shelby GT at the same dealership. She goes through the gears in a hurry and suddenly tells the sales guy that her WRX would kick the Shelby GT's ass. He said that he had one in the show room that it would not kick it's ass. We ended up buying our GT 500 that day.

I am not loyal to any one brand but you can see from my list of cars that they are all USA except for the WRX so don't call me a rice lover.

Ron, I understand and agree with most of your points. However, since I own a SGT and have never driven a GT 500, your Worlds Worst Daily Driver seems pretty severe. Worlds worst covers an awful lot of bad cars. Just saying??????

Jim

Ron, I understand and agree with most of your points. However, since I own a SGT and have never driven a GT 500, your Worlds Worst Daily Driver seems pretty severe. Worlds worst covers an awful lot of bad cars. Just saying??????

Jim

Now that I read my statement I regret my choice of words. In my job I drive all over the state of Washington including a number of trips through the mountain passes. At times I have to hall equipment to and from installations. My daily driver has to be able to handle rain and snow and has to have more cargo space than a small trunk. I drive a PT cruiser that works most of the time for me and when I need to handle extreme weather I use the WRX. This is where I was coming from when I made the statement about the SGT 500 being the Worlds Worst Daily Driver.

None of my toys would be good daily drivers. My Charger RT 440 does not have air and only gets around 9 MPG. I just sold the Grand National but it had air and all the power stuff but it did not have the utility and would get away from you on dry pavement let alone in rain and snow. The SGT 500 is great fun but it behaves like a "Monkey Smoking Crack". Maybe not the "Worlds Worst Daily Driver" but not a good one either.

I hope this makes it easier to understand why I might say something like that. However, I understand why that might be offensive and I am sorry for having said it.

Ron

Both cars are good value but built for a much different purpose,Crappy comparison in my opinion.BTW my GT500 IS MY DAILY DRIVER.I have had worse by far.I have owned some solid cammed hot rods that were cool as hell but not DD material.If my uncle owned a gas station and I didn't have to sit in lots of traffic it would be a pretty darn good one.No traffic for me so now to find an uncle with a gas station! :hysterical:

The SGT 500 is great fun but it behaves like a "Monkey Smoking Crack". Maybe not the "Worlds Worst Daily Driver" but not a good one either.

I hope this makes it easier to understand why I might say something like that. However, I understand why that might be offensive and I am sorry for having said it.

Ron

Love the Monkey Smoking Crack statement :hysterical: And I understand completely, just yanking your chain a little.

Jim

Archived