TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The One That Got Away

42ITUS

I've been wanting to join this elite club of owners for sooo long and almost had my chance.

Last week saw this on Craigslist, http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/car/691093122.html . Thought there was definitely something wrong with it but called the dealer anyway. This was only 2 hours after the posting started, but someone beat me to it. Salesperson said that there is nothing wrong with the car, they simply didn't know what they could get for it. He wouldn't tell me what the first guy offered, but told me that they are only holding it for him for 24 hours. 22 hours later I called him and no deal had been made so I faxed him a note stating that I would pay $2 over asking price if they would sell it to me once the 24 hours had passed. He was happy and agreed. Unfortunately, it never happened as the first guy made the deal.

This is his ad. http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?...leadExists=true

So my search continues. There is a dealer in MN selling one for $30K, with 27K miles. Is this a good deal? I know the miles are high, but I want it to drive it, not let it sit in my garage. With that being said, I still don't want to overpay.

I have not seen any sell for $30K except for one last year at an auction that was really thrashed. Stripes were faded and the miles were 29K and had a tear in the seat. So if the one in MN is decent, that would be a good deal. Most on e-bay are selling in the $34K range with similar miles. I hope you find one. They are a blast! Bummer that you missed that one near you for a steal of a deal.

I've been wanting to join this elite club of owners for sooo long and almost had my chance.

Last week saw this on Craigslist, http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/car/691093122.html . Thought there was definitely something wrong with it but called the dealer anyway. This was only 2 hours after the posting started, but someone beat me to it. Salesperson said that there is nothing wrong with the car, they simply didn't know what they could get for it. He wouldn't tell me what the first guy offered, but told me that they are only holding it for him for 24 hours. 22 hours later I called him and no deal had been made so I faxed him a note stating that I would pay $2 over asking price if they would sell it to me once the 24 hours had passed. He was happy and agreed. Unfortunately, it never happened as the first guy made the deal.

This is his ad. http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?...leadExists=true

Wow that was a good deal. Sometimes you just have to remind yourself that if it was meant to happen.....

Good luck on your search.

Steve

UPDATE

I called the guy who beat me to the punch and if he doesn't get any takers in the high $30K range he'll sell to me for $34K. He'll make a little over $2K, and I'll be super happy. I really hope I get it. I haven't seen it yet but he said the stripes aren't perfect, but otherwise very clean. This is the car I really want. My wife gave me the OK to get a GT500 but we're not wealthy enough that dropping $45K on a car won't have an effect on our lives. My wife is awesome but I don't want to buy a car that I might regret.

Anyway, if I get my hands on this GT-H, first thing I might do is slap some CS69 wheels on it. Probably the only thing I'll change. I love the Gt500 rear spoilers but probably want to keep the exterior original.

UPDATE

I went to see the car today and there's a small chip in the stripe on the hood and one on the rear bumper. The front air dam/spoiler has a few scratches. Rear driver side fender has a tiny door ding. Paint has very faint swirls here and there. Interior is clean. My assessment is that it's in very good shape.

After meeting with the guy for an hour, he dropped his offer to $33K. He's gotten offers for a little more but being a car collector himself (apparently he's a Chevy guy, just bought this car because of the good price), he said that he can tell how badly I want this car and that he'll sell to me for $1K less than he originally offered. His words were "spend the $1K on this car and let me know when you win at a show". We shook hands. I'm going to take the money to him tomorrow.

Looks like #170 has found a new home! Will post pics as soon as I can. Harald, once it's official I'll let you know but I'm in Hawaii.

Welcome to the club. I have two, #181 (from Hawaii) and #13 (from Boston). The next step is to have your GT-H appraised so you can get coverage based on stated value. You'll be very surprised at what it is worth.

When the insurance company runs the VIN, the car comes back as a Mustang GT, not a Shelby and especially not a GT-H. So if anything goes wrong, the best you'll do is that value. A certified appraiser will come and look over the car, take photos and give you a full report based on condition and base its value as a rare collectible. And a good appraiser will also go to court, if need be, to testify in case of a dispute.

Have fun.

Welcome to the club. I have two, #181 (from Hawaii) and #13 (from Boston). The next step is to have your GT-H appraised so you can get coverage based on stated value. You'll be very surprised at what it is worth.

When the insurance company runs the VIN, the car comes back as a Mustang GT, not a Shelby and especially not a GT-H. So if anything goes wrong, the best you'll do is that value. A certified appraiser will come and look over the car, take photos and give you a full report based on condition and base its value as a rare collectible. And a good appraiser will also go to court, if need be, to testify in case of a dispute.

Have fun.

Good luck guys, and as you may of seen my posting, for the right price, mine (158) is sadly for sale.. Not by choice.

DEAL IS DONE! I put on about 100 miles tonight! What a sweet ride. I was surprised at how many people know what kind of car it is.

Kind of bittersweet because as happy as I am, I feel terrible for #158. Life always has a way of working itself out and I sincerely hope it does for you real soon.

Wow that was a good deal. Sometimes you just have to remind yourself that if it was meant to happen.....

Check this out, I go to my bank to get a certified check to pay for #170. Pull out my checkbook and the check that I wrote out was, yup, #170. Freaky cool.

Know what you mean about ment to be. When I found my car I was buying for my 50 B-day. It turned out to be CSM 06H0050. :happy feet:

I got you in my list #170 In Hawaii. I had it for sale same location. Enjoy

it is an awsome feeling driving that car. i was at a 14th annual event in eureeka springs ark. the day ended w/a parade about 120 mustangs going thru the old time down town district in the hills of ark. the streets were just lined w/ people. to many to count said hey look there is a hertz shelby and gave me the thumbs up. i think it made the guy in front of me a little mad. he had a nice mustang but when they saw me coming they ooo and ahhhed. love it. got 1st place in no specific catagory they lumped all the 05-08 together. also recieved one of three best of shows. that came w/ $100. plus a plaque. have fun :happy feet:

it is an awsome feeling driving that car. i was at a 14th annual event in eureeka springs ark. the day ended w/a parade about 120 mustangs going thru the old time down town district in the hills of ark. the streets were just lined w/ people. to many to count said hey look there is a hertz shelby and gave me the thumbs up. i think it made the guy in front of me a little mad. he had a nice mustang but when they saw me coming they ooo and ahhhed. love it. got 1st place in no specific catagory they lumped all the 05-08 together. also recieved one of three best of shows. that came w/ $100. plus a plaque. have fun :happy feet:

Best of luck to you. It is a thrill to show this car and have people 'ooh' and 'ahh'. I have Unlucky #13 that was written up in Car and Driver and other magazines. It gets lots of attention at shows and more than enough bad looks from classic Mustang owners. Here is the link to the story.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car_news/...al_car_car_news

Many people come up and told me that they have heard about the Hertz Shelby, but never thought they would see on. I even had one person tell me they actually knew the driver in the story that won the Best of Show trophy and then had the accident.

Since I've had it, I was able to get the original trophies, accident reports and other items from the driver, and have added two more trophies from shows. Keep showing it and enjoy the attention.

Neil

Best of luck to you. It is a thrill to show this car and have people 'ooh' and 'ahh'. I have Unlucky #13 that was written up in Car and Driver and other magazines. It gets lots of attention at shows and more than enough bad looks from classic Mustang owners. Here is the link to the story.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car_news/...al_car_car_news

Many people come up and told me that they have heard about the Hertz Shelby, but never thought they would see on. I even had one person tell me they actually knew the driver in the story that won the Best of Show trophy and then had the accident.

Since I've had it, I was able to get the original trophies, accident reports and other items from the driver, and have added two more trophies from shows. Keep showing it and enjoy the attention.

Neil

Neil, what a great story. Some day that will be a great piece of Shelby history. :shift:

Great story! Also neat history with Harald's #50 and the Shelby commercial. Well, I think maybe there's only one other coupe on the island so we'll do the shows here and see how it goes. I say "we" because if I win, all of us here win. I never seriously thought about this car until coming to this forum, I really wanted a Vista Blue SGT. Once I get the goods from SAI and Hertz, I'll frame it. I just sent my airbag cover to get signed. Any other ideas to get her show ready?

I'm so happy I found this. I told my wife I feel like I'm having an affair. She's confident I'll come around and go back to her. We'll see....

Good luck 42itus. Hope you get the car. I love mine and the history and relationship to the 1966 GT350 H. If you get it, let me know as I am tracking car numbers (2006 GTHs) by state.

Harald

hi harald..if your tracking these dont forget me.. #28 in arizona

I saw one in Key West, if I recall correctly. It was absolutely trashed! Scratches galore! Not sure I would buy a former rental car myself.....

im very happy with my gt-h. even being used.. i have 2 small scratches by the hood pin but you cant see em at 100 mph..hehehe

Archived