TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Insuring a Shelby

tekheavy

Not sure if this has been covered before, but is there a proper way to insure a Shelby? When my insurance company asked for my VIN number, it comes back as a standard Mustang GT. Does that mean if I totaled my Shelby, they would only pay me the book value for a regular GT? How do you guys insure yours.

Not sure if this has been covered before, but is there a proper way to insure a Shelby? When my insurance company asked for my VIN number, it comes back as a standard Mustang GT. Does that mean if I totaled my Shelby, they would only pay me the book value for a regular GT? How do you guys insure yours.

I took photos of my SGT and mailed the description, along with the Shelby sticker price, to the agent. I sent all of this by email and received, and retained, his message acknowledging the vehicle is a Shelby. The vin will show it is a Mustang GT because that is what it was when it left Ford. Get the acknowledgement in writing! Good Luck!

Fax ALL your Shelby documentation to your insurance company. Then they will add the Shelby package on to your GT then you should be straight.

+1 i faxed BOTH stickers to my agent and i am covered for the car and the add ons.

Fax ALL your Shelby documentation to your insurance company. Then they will add the Shelby package on to your GT then you should be straight.

Just one problem with that, I bought MY Shelby used, so I don't have any of the original Shelby documentation. All they have to go by is the VIN.

If your company will not take photo's and other info as proof, possibly go through a different agency such as Hagerty or Grundy. I have my Shelby insured via stated value through Grundy and am paying $540 a year. At least at stated value, you will get that value. Don't settle for basic Mustang GT, you could get screwed if something happens.

P.S. Also do a search, this topic has been covered quite a bit.

Archived