TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood pin cables

Route them the way YOU want them and think they look best. I have seen them routed differently at dealers leading me to believe the techs at SAI all probably routed them differently to begin with.

For the mos part, I believe they are routed around the hood pin post and then out from under the side of the radiator cover. Close to the front edge where the radiator cover and grill surrond come together. If you don't go around the hood pin post the cables look too long. I found this out from experience. Originally mine were wrapped around the nut on the bottom of the hood pin. After pulling it free too many times I wrapped them around the top portion of the hood pin post but enderneath the radiator cover.

However, I agree with some above sentiments, do whatever works for you.

ShelbyPilot is correct - thread the cable towards the center of the car, around the underside of the hood pin, then out the side of the radiator cover. Also, at least on mine, as you're looking at the front of the car, the left hood-pin cable loops nicely over the hood. The right cable requires 1 counter-clockwise turn before inserting the pin, then when you flip over the keeper, it lays exactly like the left one, only in mirror image...kinda like this: )(

SEF

AKA:

ShelbyPilot is correct - thread the cable towards the center of the car, around the underside of the hood pin, then out the side of the radiator cover. Also, at least on mine, as you're looking at the front of the car, the left hood-pin cable loops nicely over the hood. The right cable requires 1 counter-clockwise turn before inserting the pin, then when you flip over the keeper, it lays exactly like the left one, only in mirror image...kinda like this: )(

SEF

AKA:

This is how mine came from the factory also, which I believe is the correct way to install them.

IMG_2546.jpg

Personally, I'd rather be done with the OEM hood pins. IMHO, they are disfunctional, I've been through two sets now because the snap ring unsnapps and they flop around in the wind on the highway. Maybe I'm not supposed to drive this car at speed?

I prefer the screw-down style of the early '70s, much easier to use and no scratches on the paint. But, this is just...

My humble .02C. Carry on, gents.

Lulu you do mean the posted speed limit right :hysterical:

Seriously, I twist mine to match and make sure that the cables are tensioned so they float up off the paint looks tough and works. At first it seemed hard to get them right now its second nature...

Personally, I'd rather be done with the OEM hood pins. IMHO, they are disfunctional, I've been through two sets now because the snap ring unsnapps and they flop around in the wind on the highway. Maybe I'm not supposed to drive this car at speed?

I prefer the screw-down style of the early '70s, much easier to use and no scratches on the paint. But, this is just...

I must have gotten a lucky set of pins; I've read other posts where guys said there's were loose also, but fortunately mine are tight. I think these pins, whether snap-ring or screw-down, are only for looks anyway - none of them are necessary I assume, since the standard GT doesn't have them. So, it really just depends on the "look" you prefer.

Ha Ha, mine are different from yours and mine is a 2008 too...where your's are on top of the radiator cover, mine are under it!!!

Just found this photo of mine - my cables appear to be under the cover also...

IMG_2562.jpg

just noticed shelby performance sells a radiator cover with hood pin holes already pre cut. a lot better than the sai chopped look. probably more cost effective than hacking the holes out.

Same exact one as what is on the SGT already....no sense in buying another one...

just noticed shelby performance sells a radiator cover with hood pin holes already pre cut. a lot better than the sai chopped look. probably more cost effective than hacking the holes out.

I'll take the chopped look - the original work by the Shelby mechanics!!

AAIIIIIEEEEEEE!!!!! WATER SPOTS!!! GET UNDER THAT HOOD AND DETAIL MISTER!!!!

SEF

AKA:

That picture was taken right after I got back from the OBX for Aprilfest. It was taken for another local SGT owner that had the same question about the routing of the cables. I had to drive through some of the worst rain ever on our way home. MI$TRESS is now all cleaned up and ready to go, heading to VIR tomorrow to show her off a little.....

• 1 month later...

This isn't about routing cables, it's about hood pin function.

I have mentioned before that my SAI supplied hood pins don't seem to work very well. They keep slipping out when I throw some speed at LuLu. I have the SPP billet upgrade on the workbench and I'm sure that will solve my problem, but I haven't installed it yet. For y'all with the original stock Shelby hood pins installed, this note is for you.

When I picked up LuLu, I noted the hood pin orientation. The pins were inserted into the post pointing in from the outside line of the car. They came out on the drive home from the dealership, and I kept having to restore them after some aggressive driving.

I moved them around a bit, tried a few different angles also adjusting hood tension via the bump stops as well, and they stayed put (even though the retaining rings constantly lost tension, later covered by a warranty claim with SAI). Last week, I changed them back to the original position and went "testing" (just an excuse to go fast, eh) The pins came out again.

I changed them back to another reliable configuration i.e. inserted from inside the center line of the hood, pointing out towards the fender edge. I went "testing" again (hehehe) and all is well.

My conclusion is that due to the slope and angle of the hood, the pins lose hood tension due to air pressure on the nose at speed. Push the hood down, and the pins are free to wiggle out. There is more force against the pin in this "inside-to-out"orientation, hood slope and air pressure are the force which keeps the pins in place.

Hope this helps anyone scratching their heads...

Yeah, mine were all rusted and kept falling apart. I did away with the cable and used the clips off of my 69 Mach 1. They look sturdier, don't rust, and don't fall apart.

Archived