TEAM SHELBY FORUM

approximate max shift speeds?

I just got a GT500 about 3 weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone knows the approximate recommended maximum speeds for the first several gears.

Of course, I know you need to watch the redline, but for example:

How fast can you already be going and still drop it into 3rd gear at full throttle (without damaging the engine)? Just looking for some approximations - thx.

I just got a GT500 about 3 weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone knows the approximate recommended maximum speeds for the first several gears.

How fast can you already be going and still drop it into 3rd gear at full throttle (without damaging the engine)? Just looking for some approximations - thx.

1st Gear tops out at 50mph, I try to shift at 45.

2nd Gear tops out at 80, I try to shift at 75.

3rd Gear Tops out at 115, I try to shift at 110.

4th Gear is around 140-145..haven't figured it out yet since I've only hit 140mph 4 times so far.

1st Gear tops out at 50mph, I try to shift at 45.

2nd Gear tops out at 80, I try to shift at 75.

3rd Gear Tops out at 115, I try to shift at 110.

4th Gear is around 140-145..haven't figured it out yet since I've only hit 140mph 4 times so far.

Ditto, I need to go out to the desert.

'til my rev limiter kicks in... :happy feet:

Funny I was just wondering of anyone had posted on this a few days ago. I take 1st to 45-50; 2nd to 75-80 and 3rd - I haven't ever taken to 100, usually shift at 95. But 3rd is the gear to kill most anything that rolls up to me wondering what the Shelby can do! I have dropped down to 3rd from 6th many times at 65, only once at 75 - motor didn't seem to mind a bit. :superhero:

Oh yeah - mine is still bone stock.

The highest I've downshifted into 3rd was at about 70 mph and it pretty much took off like a rocket! I just wanted to get a better idea.

I really need to find somewhere local where I can haul a** without worrying about cops. I'm looking into roll bars so I can take it to the track.

I've run into a snag, though. I noticed that the blower is leaking a little oil, and it sounds like i'm going to need to have it swapped out for a new one under warranty. I'm paranoid about having this type of thing done at the dealer - it only has 600 miles on it. Oh well, gotta do what you gotta do.:unsure:

Btw: if you check the owners manual, you can adjust the rev limiter by increments of 100rpm

• 5 weeks later...

If you're in 2nd gear going about 30, has anyone tried dropping to first? Probably not worthwhile because you'd need to shift again right away, but I'm curious if it would be too hard on the transmission. I'm thinking it would be a nice smoke of the tires and turn a few heads :hysterical:

If you're in 2nd gear going about 30, has anyone tried dropping to first? Probably not worthwhile because you'd need to shift again right away, but I'm curious if it would be too hard on the transmission. I'm thinking it would be a nice smoke of the tires and turn a few heads :hysterical:

I don't know if it's possible. In my '05, I couldn't get it into 1st unless i was almost at a complete stop.

I'm almost to 500 miles in mine. Then we'll see what she can do.

it's probably not worth it anyway - you hit 45 mph pretty quick, even if you're at a low speed in 2nd gear. I'm still getting a feel for shift speeds, but I must say I'm much better at it now that I'm 1200 miles into it. :shift:

I really need to find a track around here so that I can get some practice. Too bad that Shelby On Track event is nowhere near the east coast! :banghead:

Probably not the best idea. I know in the manual it tells you not to downshift to 1st at any speeds 40 or over, and I think I'd be too chickensh&t to try it at even 30 honestly. The week I got my car I attended a local meet and I know I dropped mine into 1st cruising at about 20mph and ripped the clutch loose... nice smoke show, but I only did it for a second or so honestly.

I do love my highway downshifts though... anything 85 or under I drop it to 3rd gear and let 'er rip! As long as you rev-match the engine speed you should avoid any serious tranny/clutch injuries.

No point in doing that with our cars. We've got enough boost and horsepower that just dropping into 2nd will end up saving your time because of one less shift while racing. I've done it, utterly pointless since the cars hit the limiter too fast.

Archived