TEAM SHELBY FORUM

FRPP's 5GT mufflers

I have the 5GTs on a convertible. With the top down, I don't hear the drone. With the top up, I hear the drone. The drone on my car is a resonation that quickly appears and then disappears around 1900 RPM. I never notice it going up or down through the gears. I have 3.73 gears and I turn 1900 at about 50 so if I'm cruising at 50 I hear it but it isn't too bad. It is noticeable however. By the time I'm going 55 or faster, it disappears and isn't an issue.

I would think that the drone occurs at the same RPM on other cars but not enough people with the 5GTs have reported their RPMs for me to be sure.

it sounds like they drone driving down the freeway is that right

haven't noticed it........but of course...the music is always blasting.....

still....I'm lookin for a bit more noise......

maybe it's me...but the automatics don't sound as 'fearsome' as the 5 speeds........

:)

Dread I agree 100%. We were on a Shelby cruise this past weekend and I was behind a automatic and a stick and its night and day. Im thinking of getting these exact mufflers.

I got to hear some SLP Loudmouths this weekend and I thought they had a very nice deep throaty growl and I'm told they don't drone. I think I'm leaning toward a set of these atm.

I have the FRPP 5gt mufflers on my SGT,which is a 5 speed...definately a agressive exhaust sound..

Drone is really not that bad...very easy to shift out a rpm range that bothers you...I hardly notice it at higher speeds...

I also receive a lot of comments on how great the car sounds with the stingers :happy feet:

I got to hear some SLP Loudmouths this weekend and I thought they had a very nice deep throaty growl and I'm told they don't drone. I think I'm leaning toward a set of these atm.

I have heard the SLP's on my friends 04 Cobra. It sounds good, but it is very loud, so be careful. I am thinking of getting the Bassani X with cats and catback (expensive set-up but very high quality). The only think holding me back is the look of the stock system. I love the fit and finish and once I change this, it will never look the same. I know this may be a stupid reason, but it's true.

Look at the back on your SGT and notice how the tips fit so well. Ok, I know we could adjust the new ones but it would be different.

I may save that grand toward the supercharger. :)

I have heard the SLP's on my friends 04 Cobra. It sounds good, but it is very loud, so be careful. I am thinking of getting the Bassani X with cats and catback (expensive set-up but very high quality). The only think holding me back is the look of the stock system. I love the fit and finish and once I change this, it will never look the same. I know this may be a stupid reason, but it's true.

Look at the back on your SGT and notice how the tips fit so well. Ok, I know we could adjust the new ones but it would be different.

I may save that grand toward the supercharger. :)

Not stupid at all, we have really nice distinctive tips, I'd like mine to look stock when I'm done.

I'd like a little throatier rumble but not obnoxiously loud and I don't want it to intrude while cruising down the freeway. I'm not sure thats totally possible lol I've found a number of posts that say there is no drone with the SLP loudmouth but I've also found posts that say they do drone and some say they are quite loud, so here I sit no closer to a decision :banghead: I heard Bryguys GT500 this weekend and thought it sounded great but I guess I need to spend some time in the car before I drop any coin. The SLP's have a very similar tip to our stocker which appealed to me as well.

I'd like a little throatier rumble but not obnoxiously loud and I don't want it to intrude while cruising down the freeway. I'm not sure thats totally possible lol I've found a number of posts that say there is no drone with the SLP loudmouth but I've also found posts that say they do drone and some say they are quite loud, so here I sit no closer to a decision :banghead: I heard Bryguys GT500 this weekend and thought it sounded great but I guess I need to spend some time in the car before I drop any coin. The SLP's have a very similar tip to our stocker which appealed to me as well.

I've read posts from others that say replacing the factory H pipe with an X pipe gives a more aggressive sound. I do not know how accurate that information is but perhaps other members will chime in on that aspect.

I took the "muffler delete" path, which is (IMHO) a duplication of the SLP LoudMouth kit, just cheaper.

My mandrel bent cat-back straight pipe cost me 158.00 installed, and with polished Shelby SS tips.

IMHO, looks great, sounds better than great. And this is my point...

How do we use the Internet and this one-dimensional medium to describe sound? What's obnoxious to one, is cool to the another. If I play my exhaust music in my garage, someone on my block is sure to call the police, know what I mean?

However, just this past weekend, I joined 10 other Shelby GT/GT 500 owners at a meet and BBQ, and I heard some favorable feedback from nine others. At least it all sounded favorable to me, because I like my SGTs sound a whole lot better now. I'll let them check in here with an honest answer, and y'all can judge from there?

Do you see my point? We're talking about audio impressions and tolerance, in a medium that doesn't allow this. IMHO, an exercise in frustration, eh?

I've read posts from others that say replacing the factory H pipe with an X pipe gives a more aggressive sound. I do not know how accurate that information is but perhaps other members will chime in on that aspect.

Shelby GTs don't have an H pipe, they have a FRP X pipe. Don't know what the Mustang GT/GT 500 has, never peeked under one.

I took the "muffler delete" path, which is (IMHO) a duplication of the SLP LoudMouth kit, just cheaper.

My mandrel bent cat-back straight pipe cost me 158.00 installed, and with polished Shelby SS tips.

How do we use the Internet and this one-dimensional medium to describe sound? What's obnoxious to one, is cool to the another. If I play my exhaust music in my garage, someone on my block is sure to call the police, know what I mean?

However, just this past weekend, I joined 10 other Shelby GT/GT 500 owners at a meet and BBQ, and I heard some favorable feedback from nine others. At least it all sounded favorable to me, because I like my SGTs sound a whole lot better now. I'll let them check in here with an honest answer, and y'all can judge from there?

Do you see my point? We're talking about audio impressions and tolerance, in a medium that doesn't allow this. IMHO, an exercise in frustration, eh?

Shelby GTs don't have an H pipe, they have a FRP X pipe. Don't know what the Mustang GT/GT 500 has, never peeked under one.

Good info LuLu tends to reinforce what I thought I heard in Bryguys car. You had someone bend a set for you? Stainless? Bolt on? That sounds like the obvious way to go the price of the SLP is a bit high test considering what you're getting :) I used to have people for such things but I'm not very connected these days. Someone have a high opinion of a muffler shop on the North end ?

I rode in a caravan for 2+ hours behind a GT500 with SLP loudmouths and they sound great! Very nice choice.

You are spot on, Mac. I rode right behind Lulu on the way to Volo and she sounded nice at idle, but she sings when you her up.

Good info LuLu tends to reinforce what I thought I heard in Bryguys car. You had someone bend a set for you? Stainless? Bolt on? That sounds like the obvious way to go the price of the SLP is a bit high test considering what you're getting :) I used to have people for such things but I'm not very connected these days. Someone have a high opinion of a muffler shop on the North end ?

809, who is on this board has the loudmouth exhaust on his '04 Cobra (Mystichrome Coup). He loves it and so do I, but I can hear him 5 miles away from my house when he leaves. It's a very loud exhaust note. It sounds great when you are in the car. Send him a P.M.

My last 3 mustangs had Bassani Exhausts from the X-pipe to the catback. I absolutely love the sound. I just can't do it. It's killing me to leave it stock. but oh well.

Good luck on the search!

Just to add, the Shelby GT is a lot louder than you think. I got a chance to ride behind mine while my wife was driving it and I couldn't believe how loud it was (louder than expected). While inside of the car, the note is less impressive with the windows up. I imagine everyone else driving around us is enjoying the beautiful sound. It's a pretty healthy note for a stock unit.

Below is a link to video and audio of Corsa 14311 mufflers on an 07 SGT-H. Video is titled 'Sound Comparison of Factory Shelby Mufflers vs. Corsa 14311.'

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/CORSA-2...elby_132686.htm

5 different sounds of Corsa 14311 on Mustang GT (exterior idle, exterior idle, launch, drive by, 4th gear accel)

http://www.corsaperf.com/mustang.htm

Tech info

http://www.corsaperf.com/arsctech2.htm

Cost is ~$926.00

Archived