TEAM SHELBY FORUM

shorty headers

Has anybody put the ford racing shorty headers on.If so can you tell a difference in performance and sound.

I installed the shorty headers from Pypes, Inc.

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/products.php?pid=99013292

IMHO...Basically the same product, stainless steel, unequal length, stock fitment, just a few bucks cheaper than the Ford Racing offering. 219.00 vs. 349.00. The difference paid for my muffler delete.

Verified by "before/after" dyno pulls, you may expect as much as 10 RWHP, and 5 pounds of RWTQ on a stock 4.6L-3V engine. Sound? I didn't notice any difference before/after, but I don't have a stock exhaust system. I deleted my mufflers completely and run straight pipe from the cat back. This prolly masks any sound difference between manifolds and shorty headers.

I did complete a before sound check and LuLu registered 86-87 decibles with manifolds and mufflers in place. My after sound check registered 88-89 decibles with headers and muffler delete. That's not a remarkable difference at idle, but the WOT is awesome!

Has anybody put the ford racing shorty headers on. If so can you tell a difference in performance and sound.

Sounds better than stock, slightly deeper tone and perhaps slightly louder. Very little difference in performance, 5 to 10 hp increase max. Looks GREAT as they are polished stainless steel but they are tucked pretty deep down into to the engine compartment so they're not readily apparent unless you're looking for them. They terminate in the exact same location as the stock exhaust manifold so they require no modification to your stock exhaust pipes. Because the car sounds better, it feels faster, though I doubt that it is.

Chip

post-12804-1211843046.jpg

post-12804-1211843046.jpg

Keep something in mind...If you select the FRP stainless steel headers over their ceramic coated offering, the SS will discolor from heat, almost immediately. Nothing ugly, a rather nice comfy light orange.

I've had ceramic coated headers on other cars, and they do not discolor in this way, but the ceramic coating can chip and flake away.

I guess nothing is exactly the way you want it...

Is there reasonable room for the install or is it ugly?

Don't know who you are asking, but in my experience, all went relatively smooth (considering my other header adventures).

I can get the Ford Racing headers for $270.00 shipped.Just thinking i would keep it all Ford Racing parts.I had a 2007 GT with 3.73 gears JLT cai with SCT X3 tuner & flow masters.I kept the SCT & JLT cai when i traded for my 08 Shelby GT.Have not used the tuner on the Shelby but i can tell some difference in throttle response.I was thinking since i have the tuner maybe i should do some bolt on mods and 3.73 gears.My 07 GT had more pull in third than my Shelby that is why i am looking at 3.73 gears.

Don't know who you are asking, but in my experience, all went relatively smooth (considering my other header adventures).

What kind of time for the install? I was talking to someone at the party about long tube install on the GT500 and he was talking about 20hrs of labor, I think that was a whole system but still. Just wondering if ours is that tough and hoping its much easier :) Did you get a significant difference in exhaust sound?

What kind of time for the install? I was talking to someone at the party about long tube install on the GT500 and he was talking about 20hrs of labor, I think that was a whole system but still. Just wondering if ours is that tough and hoping its much easier :) Did you get a significant difference in exhaust sound?

Are the long tube primarily for off road? And will void emissions? May want to try the equal length shorty headers which are still for street use.

Are the long tube primarily for off road? And will void emissions? May want to try the equal length shorty headers which are still for street use.

I was thinking the shorties would be the way to go, they should bolt right in and give me a couple ponies and that sound only headers can :)

IMHO...Basically the same product, stainless steel, unequal length, stock fitment, just a few bucks cheaper than the Ford Racing offering. 219.00 vs. 349.00. The difference paid for my muffler delete.

Verified by "before/after" dyno pulls, you may expect as much as 10 RWHP, and 5 pounds of RWTQ on a stock 4.6L-3V engine. Sound? I didn't notice any difference before/after, but I don't have a stock exhaust system. I deleted my mufflers completely and run straight pipe from the cat back. This prolly masks any sound difference between manifolds and shorty headers.

I did complete a before sound check and LuLu registered 86-87 decibles with manifolds and mufflers in place. My after sound check registered 88-89 decibles with headers and muffler delete. That's not a remarkable difference at idle, but the WOT is awesome!

I also purchased the Pypes shorty headers, $189 ($30 rebate).

You can buy long tubes with hi-flow cats included, so I don't see why they would not be good for the street. Installation time / effort would be more, of course. This should be followed by a professional tune, I think some would say.

Install was about 3.5-4 hours and I didn't do this alone. I had help from a 30 year veteran Ford wrench who knows a few tricks.

We put LuLu on a lift and worked from underneath. Loosen the tranny mount, and remove the starter, engine mounts, steering linkage, etc. Jack the engine up a bit (strut tower brace did not have to be disturbed) and the rest is arm wrestling. All in all, it wasn't a difficult task, I've been involved in worse. The Pypes headers fit as promised, just a tad difficult in getting them in position.

I already commented on sound in post #2 in this thread, but I would like to reiterate that this mod produces single digit power gains on a stock 4.6L-3V and SAI/FRP tune. Not stellar gains, but I didn't retune, and I am pleased by decent bang for the buck. If ever I add a supercharger, the Pypes shortys will be improved upon.

Happy motoring, gents.

Here is a good write up on the install: http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles...ders/index.html

iF YOU EVER ADD A SUPERCHARGER TO YOUR CAR THEN THE HEADERS SHOULD BE ENHANCED HOPEFULLY ANOTHER 10 HP.I HAD A PRICE OF 320.00 LABOR TO INSTALL HEADERS WHICH WOULD BE 65.00 PER HOUR SHOP LABOR FOR 4 HOURS.THIS SOUNDS REASONABLE,I THINK.

iF YOU EVER ADD A SUPERCHARGER TO YOUR CAR THEN THE HEADERS SHOULD BE ENHANCED HOPEFULLY ANOTHER 10 HP.I HAD A PRICE OF 320.00 LABOR TO INSTALL HEADERS WHICH WOULD BE 65.00 PER HOUR SHOP LABOR FOR 4 HOURS.THIS SOUNDS REASONABLE,I THINK.

You're in the ball park, my friend. Labor rates will vary from region to region, and then there's the Union Shop factor to consider. When I need heavy duty stuff done, my local rate here is 75.00 per hour at my dealership, a Union Shop.

Another point to consider when using a Flat Rate book as a guide is that they provide "general" time estimates, specifically vague. I pay for actual time spent on the repair, not the general Flat Rate suggested. The header install is a tad easier on the S197 frame and underpinnings, and that saved me 1.5 hours, This suggests that some negotiation for actual time may be worthwhile, but don't forget to tip the wrench. It's good PR for return visits.

I paid $160. for my Pypes new on Ebay, also bought locking header bolts. Last week I went to install them along with a Magnaflow x-pipe and some other undercar items. I do all my own work in my garage so when I saw that I would have to remove the engine mounts I decided to wait until I picked up some urethane mounts. Those hydro mounts have to go. The x-pipe went on easy except for reaching the top 02 sensor connector. No room to reach in with your hand. As far as power gains go, it's the overall torque increase that will be welcomed.

I paid $160. for my Pypes new on Ebay, also bought locking header bolts. Last week I went to install them along with a Magnaflow x-pipe and some other undercar items. I do all my own work in my garage so when I saw that I would have to remove the engine mounts I decided to wait until I picked up some urethane mounts. Those hydro mounts have to go. The x-pipe went on easy except for reaching the top 02 sensor connector. No room to reach in with your hand. As far as power gains go, it's the overall torque increase that will be welcomed.

I had Ford Racing shorties installed on a 2006 Mustang GT that I had at one time. I dynoed it immediately after the install and it made absolutely no difference in HP or TQ figures from before. However it did make the exhaust louder, deeper and more aggressive sounding. In addition the polished ceramic coating made it look strikingly good though they were hard to see. You could just make out the glimmering shine coming up from underneath everything piled on top. Overall given the sound and looks it was worth doing.

As for discoloring of ceramic coated pipes they will discolor slightly into a nice "mother-of-pearl" rainbow of concentric-like streak where they attach. The remainder of the shiney polished coating stays intact.

i talked to quantum-perf. about headers and they told me they recommend long-tubes. parts and labor using jba's stainless headers was 1200.00 for everything installed. They said i would get about 18hp gain. Question, would i have clearance issures with long-tubes? these cars are already 1.5 inches lower than stock mustangs. anyone have long-tubes on there Shelby-GT ?

Will the Pypes shorty pass a CA smog test? I just purchased a set and was told that they were CARB certified, and they are not. So, I am not sure that I want to go through the hassle to install, only to have to remove in a few years to pass a smog test.

i talked to quantum-perf. about headers and they told me they recommend long-tubes. parts and labor using jba's stainless headers was 1200.00 for everything installed. They said i would get about 18hp gain. Question, would i have clearance issures with long-tubes? these cars are already 1.5 inches lower than stock mustangs. anyone have long-tubes on there Shelby-GT ?

The price of $1200 is the standard price for installing LT's on a Mustang GT. An 18 HP gain is standard as well whether they are JBA brand or not. The question you raise about clearance is what everything about doing LT's hinges upon. I certainly would be interested in hearing an answer from someone who actually has done them and can include some pics as well.

I've seen a few people install headers on their lowered vehicles with about a 1/2-inch cleareance from the ground and they considered that completely sufficient. I've seen these same folks then go and hit speedbumps, uneven asphalt surfaces, and pot-holes and completely rip the exhaust right off the bottom of the car. That is why I would like to see the pictures of the clearance because a 1/2-inch to me is a complete showstopper for doing LT's on a Shelby GT.

With that in mind what would anyoen here consider "sufficient" clearance from the ground?

I would consider 3 inches clearance so-so but i don't like being able to see the tube hanging down if i'm 50 feet from the car. I would rather go with shorty's than have the LT's take away from the car. I'm like you, I would like to see pictures from another Shelby on account all our cars would look like the pictures considered we are all equal on height. Anyone with longtubes?

Will the Pypes shorty pass a CA smog test? I just purchased a set and was told that they were CARB certified, and they are not. So, I am not sure that I want to go through the hassle to install, only to have to remove in a few years to pass a smog test.

I just listed my new set of Pypes on ebay for $210 plus $19.95 shipping. I will sell to TS member for $210 and free shipping.!

So far 2 1/2 hours and i have one off and the new one sitting in place.I am looking a 8 hours if lucky.I would not do this again! :banghead:

If you are installing shorties they will clear just fine because they aren't any lower than the stock manifold was. I had shorties on an 06 and they looked great from above looking down through the bay, though you can barely seem them with all the stuff sitting on top of them. Sound great, much louder, exhaust somewhat deeper in tone at the exhaust tips. Absolutely no HP gain at the wheels. Gained 1 ft-lb of torque at the wheels and that can be attributed to anything really.

As for installing...took 8 full hours for sure. Toughest part was getting the locking-bolts/washers started and torqued down evenly. Most of the time I was doing it blind because you can't see anything....done all by feel. Kept dropping the locking bolts/washers as they were difficult to thread.

Did you use the stock gasket or get a new one? I bought a new one as I was told that you should never use a USED gasket. I bought the copper gaskets as it is better than graphite. I used Mr. Gasket Copper Gasket Sealer goop to create the seal. Kinda messy trying to align it all up to seal properly without being able to really see what I was doing.

Was it worth it? Yes but I would pay to have it done the next time. Too much tedious work.

Good luck!

Keep something in mind...If you select the FRP stainless steel headers over their ceramic coated offering, the SS will discolor from heat, almost immediately. Nothing ugly, a rather nice comfy light orange.

I've had ceramic coated headers on other cars, and they do not discolor in this way, but the ceramic coating can chip and flake away.

I guess nothing is exactly the way you want it...

Earlier in this thread I posted a photograph of my Ford Racing shorty headers that I said were polished stainless steel. Mac noted that stainless steel headers will discolor shortly after you start using them. I have an Accufab stainless steel exhaust on another one of my Fords that did exactly what Mac said they would, they went from bright polished silver to a yellow Gold tone fairly quickly. Mac's post made me wonder why the headers on my Mustang had not discolored in the same way and if the dealership that installed them had put on something different than what I requested. Today, I dug the box out stored in my garage that they came in as I now keep the stock exhaust manifold's in it. They are indeed, ceramic coated headers. And as Mac predicted there are, upon close inspection, a few chips in the coating. I'm not going to change them but I think I would prefer the golden bronze discoloring of the polished stainless headers to the ceramic ones I have.

Chip

Earlier in this thread I posted a photograph of my Ford Racing shorty headers that I said were polished stainless steel. Mac noted that stainless steel headers will discolor shortly after you start using them. I have an Accufab stainless steel exhaust on another one of my Fords that did exactly what Mac said they would, they went from bright polished silver to a yellow Gold tone fairly quickly.

Chip

Interestingly, while I assume that the temps are somewhat lower back there than at the exhaust mainifold, I've noticed that the stock exhaust tips on my '07 SGT have taken on a very slight golden patina. To my eye, not at all bad lookin', although I am sure some folks like the pure "chrome" look as well..

Kevin

Archived