TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Supercharging My Shelby GT

Generally, you will get 462 hp out of the Paxton and 500 hp out of the Whipple. But, given that Shelby is making Kenne Bell superchargers available, you might want to consider that one (it also makes 500 hp). Bottom line, all of them make wicked amounts of hp and you cannot go wrong with any of them. Jim

I don't know about the paxton or the whipple, but the Kenne Bell 2.6L took my convertible from 302 rwhp to 498 rwhp with 10 lbs. of boost. Torque at the wheels went from 317 to 452. IMO, the Kenne Bell with the GT500 dual fuel pumps is a great combo!

Thanks is there a price difference in any of them

Yes. The Paxton is the least expensive. The Whipple is next. The Kenne Bell is the most expensive. The KB is the one I personally chose for my 2008 SGT. For the reason SGTCoop pointed out. Jim

Ok cool I was thinking about getting the CS6 hood on my car and did are you putting a supercharger in you car

My car is at SAI now (and has been since January 13, 2008). Originally, I had the Paxton going on (for me, the Whipple belongs to the GT 500 and is out of place on the SGT). I have been advised that the Paxton will not be C.A.R.B. certified until 2009. In response to this, SAI has offered the KB and, IMO, that is the best S/C out there and already has a heritage with Shelby by way of the Super Snake cars. You are going to spend $1000 more for the Whipple than the Paxton and $2000 more than the Paxton for the KB. As I said before, you cannot go wrong with any of them. Personally, for a 2007, I would go Paxton (because of the Shelby heritage), which is C.A.R.B. certified for the 2007 cars. Good luck. Jim

When you asked about HP the Whipple is about 400 HP w/o intercooler and 500 w/ intercooler. The Paxton is 462 w/ intercooler. There is a difference also in boost pressures. I don't have a supercharger at this time but hope to someday. It will probably be a Paxton due to the heritage. And I am sure I would request a very conservative boost and tune so as to ensure longevity of the motor. Good Luck.

I don't know about the paxton or the whipple, but the Kenne Bell 2.6L took my convertible from 302 rwhp to 498 rwhp with 10 lbs. of boost. Torque at the wheels went from 317 to 452. IMO, the Kenne Bell with the GT500 dual fuel pumps is a great combo!

What sort of mods did you have before the supercharger? 302 RWHP and 317 RWTq are good numbers.

Thanks is there a price difference in any of them
Yes. The Paxton is the least expensive. The Whipple is next. The Kenne Bell is the most expensive. The KB is the one I personally chose for my 2008 SGT. For the reason SGTCoop pointed out. Jim

I found the Kenne Bell runs for $5800 for the black casing and $6450 for polished. Labor for installation at Quantum is $1120. The Whipple for '07 Mustangs runs $6080 for black and $6440 for polished. The price will increase for '08 Mustangs due to all the additional parts for the airbox. Looks like labor for installation at SAI is around $1400. Never could get a labor quote out of Tasca.

What sort of mods did you have before the supercharger? 302 RWHP and 317 RWTq are good numbers.

The car was custom tuned (for 93 octane) by Pro Dyno here in Fort Mill, SC using a SCT Xcal II. It had a C&L CAI, Magnaflow catbacks, FRPP shorty headers, Prothane motor mounts, and a one-piece "Spydershaft" aluminum driveshaft. It also had FRPP 4.10 gears but that doesn't add any HP. After adding the SC, I changed to 3.73 gears because IMO, 4.10 is too low.......no traction in 1st or 2nd gear!

My friend just had his 07 Mustang GT custom tuned at Pro Dyno, too. His only mods are a JLT CAI and the 93 octane tune using an XCal I. I think his best run was 295 rwhp & 316 rwtq.

These custom tunes are around $300 to $350, but this ensures you have a safe A/F ratio, greatly improves throttle response, and nets a 30 rwhp gain over stock. My custom tune after adding the SC was $450, but it gave me 50 more rwhp when I went from an 8 lb. pulley to a 10 lb. pulley.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read that the Whipple produces its HP/TQ at approx. 1500 rpm's and the Paxton comes on around 3000-3500 rpm's. Is this correct info?

I would like to use the Paxton but don't want to be left in the dust if I'm in a higher gear and the rpm's are to low, where as my understanding is that the Whipple will give you the extra punch at lower rpm's.

Also there was the issue with the changing the oil in the s/c. The Whipple can go a longer duration than the Paxton, unless you connect a direct line from the Paxton to your oil pan. Is this correct info?

Can we get another strut tower support bar to fit if we use the Whipple, because the original obviously isn't going to work unless we use the Paxton.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read that the Whipple produces its HP/TQ at approx. 1500 rpm's and the Paxton comes on around 3000-3500 rpm's. Is this correct info?

I would like to use the Paxton but don't want to be left in the dust if I'm in a higher gear and the rpm's are to low, where as my understanding is that the Whipple will give you the extra punch at lower rpm's.

Also there was the issue with the changing the oil in the s/c. The Whipple can go a longer duration than the Paxton, unless you connect a direct line from the Paxton to your oil pan. Is this correct info?

Can we get another strut tower support bar to fit if we use the Whipple, because the original obviously isn't going to work unless we use the Paxton.

Well, here we are again...Comparing blowers to blowers.

Blower lubrication: The Paxton blower now has options, but I don't know if the Shelby kit includes them. The "old" style used crankcase oil to lubricate the blower gears, accomplished by a pressurized tap off the oil filter housing. The return line was directed to the oil pan via a drain tap in the front of the pan. Paxton now has a "self lubricated" blower, which requires routine refreshment, but doesn't involve any oil pan taps.

Blower performance: Both the Paxton and Whipple will deliver the performance you seek, but at different places/times in the RPM spectrum. The answer to this question is "what kind of performance driving" suits you? You can have gobs of torque at the low end (Whipple), or, gobs of torque at the top end (Paxton). In the end, both are very pleasing and with remarkable results with a stock engine. OTOH...If you want it all, go for the Kenne Bell option now available.

Your estimate of the Paxton coming on at 3000-3500 RPM is very conservative. You should see primary boost at 2.5K.

i would think the paxton would be the choice for a auto and a wipple for a manual just because of the diferent rpms that they launch at. the auto for the most part will stay in the rpm range best suted for the paxton where as the manual can put all the low end punch that the wipple makes to use.

i would think the paxton would be the choice for a auto and a whipple for a manual just because of the diferent rpms that they launch at. the auto for the most part will stay in the rpm range best suted for the paxton where as the manual can put all the low end punch that the wipple makes to use.

Actually the whipple or the K/B would be better suited for the auto as they make instant boost and power.

I was waiting for the whipple but have opted for the K/B instead as it makes 500 HP and can be installed on the automatic. (BOWTIETR)

Actually the whipple or the K/B would be better suited for the auto as they make instant boost and power.

I was waiting for the whipple but have opted for the K/B instead as it makes 500 HP and can be installed on the automatic. (BOWTIETR)

The Intercooled Whipple HO makes 500HP or better. One thing that made up my mind on the Whipple/KB over the Paxton was that you had to remove the blower to replace/repair the drive belt. Not a great thing if you toss it on a back road away from home and tools. Probably won't happen often but I know someone who it did happen to and it wasn't a pleasent problem.

Michael, at over 560hp, you better start saving for a new motor

Rick,

believe it or not, I have seen very well behaved pit bulls that live to a ripe old age!

Michael :dance:

Looks like a couple of us are on the fence regarding which Supercharger to go with. I am going to take my time and do the other mod's while I figure out which route I want to take.

Agreed. Smart move.

In comparasion to other mods, supercharging and turbocharging are the most costly, and carry the greatest risk of catastrophic failure. There is a ton of homework before a choice is made, but it's not difficult to absorb and moves rather fast. Internet forums like this are not the place to learn that detail, talk with the tuners and builders. Every power adder has it's immediate benefits and shortcomings. Focusing a spotlight on one immediate benefit such as low end torque without paying attention to any shortcomings that come along with it, is unbalanced advice.

Other things to consider include (not limited to) difficulty of install (labor costs), permanent modifications to the vehicle, intercooling options (none, water-to-air, air-to-air), boost calibrations (pulley size), transmission tuning (auto), and often overlooked...The effects of 500+ brake horsepower on the drive train and other structures (what else needs to be fortified). Here's an example not exclusive to the Shelby/Mustang, rather true in all applications.

You cannot simply push 450 HP into the OEM rear end without expecting something to go wrong. The most obvious and most often overlooked, are the axle tubes and spring perches. Axle tubes are pressed into place, sweated. No pins, no bolts, no fortification. The customary (and easy) fix is to have the axle tubes and spring perches welded. Once fortified, the power you are pushing into the rear end will travel through to the ground, and not tear things apart. Yet, it is rare that we share this 411.

It's just my .02C on it all, but any responsible discussion of power adders at large, should include some discussion of the anticipated affect on the whole car and not focus on just one or two immediate benefits.

Carry on, gents.

• 3 weeks later...
If I put a Whipple in my car would it be able to beat a new M3

It would be a whole lot better than if you didn't. I have a buddy at work that has a new M3. It is fast and good looking. Not as much personality as the SGT but it is a very sweet car. It is also very fast and the sound of the BMW v8 at higher rpms is very intoxicating. I love my SGT but if I could also have an M3 it would be mine. I already told Tom that when I get my Whipple we are going to have to have a little match up. Then I should be able to answer the question.

Archived