TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Octane Boosters

This topic came up in another thread here about 87 octane tuning. Member "stump_breaker" related that he recently got a load of bad gas while traveling, and the engine started to ping under load. He says that adding a can of 107 octane booster solved his problem.

I don't really know much about octane booster, never tried it. It there anything to this stuff? What is it (chemically) and how does it build octane? In a time of wild gasoline prices, could this be of any value to us?

Most octane boosters are Toluene or Toluene blends. Octane is a measure of resistance to detonation (spontaneous pressure-induced combustion). The higher the octane the more resistance to detaonation for a given engine design.

Higher octane will minimize the possibility of ping (detonation) but octane and power are unrelated *unless* the engine is redesigned/moded in some way to exploit the higher octane.

In naturally-aspirated motors higher octane will permit higher compression ratios and will permit more energy in each power stroke below the threshold of detonation.

In forced-induction motors it will permit more boost -- and effective form of compression modification -- and therefore more energy in each power stroke up to the threshold of detonation.

Imo, it's very worthwhile having a can or three of a quality octane booster (like Torco -- used by racers for years) especially when touring with a 93-octane tuned boosted motor in areas where 91 octane may be all that's available.

Octane boosters do work but unless the compression (static cylinder-to-head volume ratio or boost) is changed it serves only as a detonation safety margin but doesn't provide more power/milage.

Dan

Heres t a link to the Lucas booster I like. I'm going to see if I can find an MSDS.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_p...=2&loc=show

EDIT:

MSDS

Toxic ingredient is MMT

This site claims 30 points or 3 octane points for the Lucas stuff.

I can't find or remeber the other one I picked up but I know I have seen it before.

Stumpo; if this is safe for oxygen sensors and catalytic converters and lowers emissions, why is it not street legal? Does it have any adverse effect on anything else?

I dunno. The EPA hates this stuff - EPA LINK

Possibly when put in gas it's in a higher concentraion than allowed to be sold? I'm not up to date with the rules and regs of MMT.

Heres t a link to the Lucas booster I like. I'm going to see if I can find an MSDS.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_p...=2&loc=show

EDIT:

MSDS

Toxic ingredient is MMT

This site claims 30 points or 3 octane points for the Lucas stuff.

I can't find or remeber the other one I picked up but I know I have seen it before.

the oem's had plenty of trouble with MMT years ago, cat. con. inlet plugging. i would stay away from it completely. my .$02 ...history lesson

Most octane boosters are Toluene or Toluene blends. Octane is a measure of resistance to detonation (spontaneous pressure-induced combustion). The higher the octane the more resistance to detaonation for a given engine design.

Higher octane will minimize the possibility of ping (detonation) but octane and power are unrelated *unless* the engine is redesigned/moded in some way to exploit the higher octane.

In naturally-aspirated motors higher octane will permit higher compression ratios and will permit more energy in each power stroke below the threshold of detonation.

In forced-induction motors it will permit more boost -- and effective form of compression modification -- and therefore more energy in each power stroke up to the threshold of detonation.

Imo, it's very worthwhile having a can or three of a quality octane booster (like Torco -- used by racers for years) especially when touring with a 93-octane tuned boosted motor in areas where 91 octane may be all that's available.

Octane boosters do work but unless the compression (static cylinder-to-head volume ratio or boost) is changed it serves only as a detonation safety margin but doesn't provide more power/milage.

Dan

I used a can in an 06 Mustang GT once and it completely ruined all the plugs. I was on a 320 mile trip and the car started having problems within the first 25 miles. Becuase it was a family emergency I had to drive the entire round-trip with it missing and pinging with any type of acceleration. Once I was able to shift into cruise-gear (5th) the engine would stop missing and pinging. When I got home I immediately removed the plugs and found them to be completely fouled with a bright orange coating. The ABSOLUTE LAST TIME I will ever use an Octane Booster of any kind again.

Archived