TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Picking up car Tommorrow..Am I prepared?

pnikodemos

Hi Guys,

got the call from dealer to pick up the car....Thanks to all who helped get us through this waiting period of frustration,doubts,rumors and yes,EXCITEMENT!!!!!!

However it never seems to stop,now I am getting nervous on how I should conduct myself at the dealers.Never have bought a car this expensive or dear to me before.Want to make sure I do this right and not forget anything that might be important later.....How prepared should I be........

I have

1....copy of purchase contract

2....copy of dora

3....receit of downpayment

4....Downloaded from our great site copies of

A) a Certificate of Orgin for a Vehicle....I should get one of these from the dealer,right????

B)Ford pre-delivery service record.....Is this the form I would go over with the dealer as I inspect

the car? Or is this a sheet that is used somewhere else along the way???In addition to this sheet I

I also downloaded a 2007 Shelby Quality Inspection sheet....Is this the one I should go over with

the dealer?

C)2007 Shelby Quality Inspection Sheet.....is this the one I should have with me as I inspect the car?

Thats all the paperwork I have....am I missing anything????

BTW....I do have the cashiers check ....MSRP + 8k (please no flaming...Wife has given me enough %@#*)

I love the car....I've done my fatherly duties...kids throgh college...I'm 54 yrs old (heard all the mid life crisis jokes) and probably my only new car I will buy....I am doing this for ME!! Still feel guilty though,I guess...

So when I get there, before I give the money I should inspect the car using one of the above sheets as my guide.....Has anyone any ideas what to pay particular attention to? I've read posts about the bubbles in the stripes and how some overlapped...Read about the missing stripes in the back...check the mileage....Anything else??? What other things could I expect?

If by chance there is something wrong (like scratches or a paint blemish)...what do I do?? I certainly don't want to send the car back....What are my options then????? This is the part that causes me anguish???

If I get past this stage (alive) then do I alow them to do the prep work? What is this prep work include? I have read where some members don't want anybody touching their cars? Is this something I should insist on???Hes alraedy asked me if they should clean the inside or leave it the way its is...ideas?

Is there a copy of the prep work (new car service) that they do that I can download?

I gues the next stage is that I go into the office to pay and get my paperwork.......

What paperwork should I look to get that comes with the car and/or from the dealer??

Sales contract,receit and Certificate of Orgin....Dp I look for the build sheet under the rear bumper?

Is there paperwork that doesn't ordinarily come with the car that I can ask the dealer for? Like whatever this OASIS report is???Anything else?????

Apart from the warranty is there an extended warranty that one can purchase? If so,should one buy it???

Should I accept any of the extra services they provide...like zeibart rust protection,LOJACK (which I like),

or that plastic that they put on certain parts of the car for pebble protection????

I guess I am at the final step,which I pay for it....this step sounds simple..nothing to be wary of here...right?

Then ,I call a ramp truck and take it home.........Fianlly peace and euphoria come over me when its safely in the garage........

I want to thank you all for taking the time to read this rather long post...its not something I do often,that is put my feelings and needs down on paper......but during this last year I feel a bit of camraderie with the members of this website....I have read posts how members have helped others track their cars,encouraged

others when feeling frustrated and thinking of giving up,posting any new news we heard,chasing down rumours,laughing over info from uneducated dealers,tracking ebay prices,and happiness/unhappiness of members getting their cars while wondering where the $%#* yours was,I'll miss calling Ford's customer service...it still brings tears of joy and happiness as I think of the countless times I replayed Roberts videos as he began to track down the emegence of the GT500 on the streets...I chuckle on what the drivers thought as they drove by and someone jumps out of the bushes with a video camara chasing him down the street..... These memories are priceless....THANK YOU STANGSUNLEASHED and its MEMBERS

paul

Funny you should ask.......Your not going to believe this...I didn't but heres the reason....

For whatever reason he has,he wants payment for car tommorrow.....after all this waiting and repeatedly

delayed ETA's.....He wants action within 24hours....On the other hand,I am not paying for the car and leaving it there.....Seems like a simple thing to just tow it home and not to rush around doing insurances,banks,registries and etec within 24 hours...

paul

I dont know about most of that, but the one rule I LIVE by for new cars..

DO NOT allow them to prep/wash it. Tell them they can check fluids and whatever they have to do to cover their asses, but dont wash it. One of the largest dealers in the US is here in Tampa, FL and back when I was looking at 04 Cobras, the paint on all of their cars (Roush, Cobras..) was hideous - looked like someone washed them with sand and a bucket.

You dealer should be able to facilitate EVERYTHING you need to legally drive off the lot in your car.

As mentioned in other posts - check your front air dam, wheels and other points that could be damaged by transporation services. Incidentally, this type of damage could also be done by the roll back that you select to take it home.

Ask your dealer not to remove any of the stickers put on by the factory. Tell them that you will do that yourself. Do not let them wash it. Take pictures of all stickers and decals before removing them. Document everything you can about the car. It is only new once.

Then go out and drive the hell out it!!!!!

Don't make it harder than it has to be, just show up with the check and start signing....forget about all that other junkl :wacko:

This sounded kind of harsh..what I meant is, give it the once over, pay and get out...congrats and enjoy :rockon:

I've read posts about the bubbles in the stripes and how some overlapped...Read about the missing stripes in the back...check the mileage....Anything else??? What other things could I expect?

Paul

For what it's worth I believe the ovelap is intentional. I have looked closely at one and while there was about a 1/4 inch overlap on all seems it did not look bad. It also can not be noticed from any distance. Now bubbles, peeling or deleted stripes is another story.

I also understand about being ragged on for mid life crisis, etc. ( and I am only 41).

Bottom line when people start giving me grief - I say my first car was a 67 GTA fastback (white with red stripes) and I have always wanted a Shelby. Ever since then I told myself when I make enough money I will buy a Shelby. Well... This is not an original Shelby, and some people will debate that it is not a Shelby at all. But for me it is close enough.

The car is hot! It is mean! And it is close enough for me to say I am finally getting what I have always wanted. Don't get me wrong, when I said I wanted a Shelby, I meant that I wanted a bad a$$ mustang - and when I close my eyes and think about it the Shelby is what I see. For me... this car says it is time to pull the trigger.

Do what you gotta do and don't listen to anyone else.

Hi Guys,

got the call from dealer to pick up the car....Thanks to all who helped get us through this waiting period of frustration,doubts,rumors and yes,EXCITEMENT!!!!!!

However it never seems to stop,now I am getting nervous on how I should conduct myself at the dealers.Never have bought a car this expensive or dear to me before.Want to make sure I do this right and not forget anything that might be important later.....How prepared should I be........

I have

1....copy of purchase contract

2....copy of dora

3....receit of downpayment

4....Downloaded from our great site copies of

A) a Certificate of Orgin for a Vehicle....I should get one of these from the dealer,right????

B)Ford pre-delivery service record.....Is this the form I would go over with the dealer as I inspect

the car? Or is this a sheet that is used somewhere else along the way???In addition to this sheet I

I also downloaded a 2007 Shelby Quality Inspection sheet....Is this the one I should go over with

the dealer?

C)2007 Shelby Quality Inspection Sheet.....is this the one I should have with me as I inspect the car?

Thats all the paperwork I have....am I missing anything????

BTW....I do have the cashiers check ....MSRP + 8k (please no flaming...Wife has given me enough %@#*)

I love the car....I've done my fatherly duties...kids throgh college...I'm 54 yrs old (heard all the mid life crisis jokes) and probably my only new car I will buy....I am doing this for ME!! Still feel guilty though,I guess...

So when I get there, before I give the money I should inspect the car using one of the above sheets as my guide.....Has anyone any ideas what to pay particular attention to? I've read posts about the bubbles in the stripes and how some overlapped...Read about the missing stripes in the back...check the mileage....Anything else??? What other things could I expect?

If by chance there is something wrong (like scratches or a paint blemish)...what do I do?? I certainly don't want to send the car back....What are my options then????? This is the part that causes me anguish???

If I get past this stage (alive) then do I alow them to do the prep work? What is this prep work include? I have read where some members don't want anybody touching their cars? Is this something I should insist on???Hes alraedy asked me if they should clean the inside or leave it the way its is...ideas?

Is there a copy of the prep work (new car service) that they do that I can download?

I gues the next stage is that I go into the office to pay and get my paperwork.......

What paperwork should I look to get that comes with the car and/or from the dealer??

Sales contract,receit and Certificate of Orgin....Dp I look for the build sheet under the rear bumper?

Is there paperwork that doesn't ordinarily come with the car that I can ask the dealer for? Like whatever this OASIS report is???Anything else?????

Apart from the warranty is there an extended warranty that one can purchase? If so,should one buy it???

Should I accept any of the extra services they provide...like zeibart rust protection,LOJACK (which I like),

or that plastic that they put on certain parts of the car for pebble protection????

I guess I am at the final step,which I pay for it....this step sounds simple..nothing to be wary of here...right?

Then ,I call a ramp truck and take it home.........Fianlly peace and euphoria come over me when its safely in the garage........

I want to thank you all for taking the time to read this rather long post...its not something I do often,that is put my feelings and needs down on paper......but during this last year I feel a bit of camraderie with the members of this website....I have read posts how members have helped others track their cars,encouraged

others when feeling frustrated and thinking of giving up,posting any new news we heard,chasing down rumours,laughing over info from uneducated dealers,tracking ebay prices,and happiness/unhappiness of members getting their cars while wondering where the $%#* yours was,I'll miss calling Ford's customer service...it still brings tears of joy and happiness as I think of the countless times I replayed Roberts videos as he began to track down the emegence of the GT500 on the streets...I chuckle on what the drivers thought as they drove by and someone jumps out of the bushes with a video camara chasing him down the street..... These memories are priceless....THANK YOU STANGSUNLEASHED and its MEMBERS

paul

Please don`t get offended but you need to send your wife to pick it up & you stay home & have a stiff drink. WHEW Good Luck.

Funny you should ask.......Your not going to believe this...I didn't but heres the reason....

For whatever reason he has,he wants payment for car tommorrow.....after all this waiting and repeatedly

delayed ETA's.....He wants action within 24hours....On the other hand,I am not paying for the car and leaving it there.....Seems like a simple thing to just tow it home and not to rush around doing insurances,banks,registries and etec within 24 hours...

paul

Well, You better do the insurance regardless. Just call them and tell them you are picking it up. They can put a "binder" on it to cover the drive or even tow home. You can settle the insurance premium later. Registration - you have 30 days in most states. The dealership will give you temporary tags and they can tell you how soon to get the real plates.

I'd avoid the tow home just to prevent any possible damage during the tow.

Please don`t get offended but you need to send your wife to pick it up & you stay home & have a stiff drink. WHEW Good Luck.

I think your right shelby0001......

rereading my post...I do get intense..

sorry....Will take everyones advice and just enjoy the moment...

thanks

paul

Deep breathing is good. Remember, like you said it's probably the only new car,"and certainly most important" car you'll buy. Enjoy the experience. Take your time. Don't be rushed. Your the one with the money. Insurance is easy to transfer over or add. Drive the thing home! Good luck!

Don't forget,it's under warranty if you miss something.

Ask them if they know where everyone esle's Shelby is. How did they get there/your's and we can't get ours. mine was due last week and now they can't find it.

Above all, remain calm, show up sober and take the time you need to feel comfortable. Realize that you could stall it at the stops and to calmly restart it, pushing the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. It it does start after a few seconds, turn key off and repeat procedure. Remain calm. If someone is honking behind you, calmly use the express down window and calmly hand and finger signal them to go around. One started again, take deep breath and run that sob down that was honking and resignal him.

Drive car for a mimimum of six consecutive miles to get out the bad tune, and continue driving until the message center reads low fuel. Refuel, calmly, using premium gas, the door is on the drivers side not on the back where the big emblem is. Once refilled, go have some fun. Might want to pick significant other up for ride pretty soon in the event you want to not sleep on couch.

That should do it, calmly :baby:

Most of the things you mention are not that critical to do at that moment...you can do when you get home. Just be careful they don't add any hidden charges to the bill...check it thoroughly. Personally I don't purchase any of the "extra" things they sell, but that's your call. I would check the few things you've seen issues with on other forum members' cars as you mentioned you would...like looking for a loose radiator hose, coolant in the supercharger reservoir, and the front air dam issue. Other than that, don't worry too much.

I'd highly recommend taking a few pictures of yourself with the car at the dealership...just for memories. You mentioned a "build sheet" under the rear bumper. This was discussed on this forum and they don't put those there any more.

Enjoy...relax, and post some pics!

Congrats.

Dave (waiting 5 months now...patiently)

Hey just a question....

But if there is a special checklist that they should be using as part of the dealer inspection wouldn't it be a good thing to ask for it and see if it is checked off?

Some advice - to add to what Dave has said.

Example - I bought a '91 LX 5.0 from Young Ford in Charlotte.

I was very hyped about the car - so when I started signing all the paperwork, I didn't take my time.

I told the FI guy I didn't want or need any extended warranties.

Two years later, I'm thinning out my files and came across the paperwork. I was charged for the ESP.

I called the dealer and explained.

That guy was fired six months after my deal for doing the same thing.

They sent back my money.

Since then - about 10 deals later - I tell the guy to shut up and let me read what I'm signing.

Don't get caught up in the moment.

Some (or most) of these FI guys get commission.

My mistake? I trusted someone at a dealership. Never again.

Hey just a question....

But if there is a special checklist that they should be using as part of the dealer inspection wouldn't it be a good thing to ask for it and see if it is checked off?

Nothing wrong with that, but just because it has a check mark doesn't mean they actually checked it.

more - before you leave the dealer - do your own PDI.

Walk around and look carefully at everything - especially the glass. If you drive it off the lot, then get home and see a chip in a window - how can you prove it didn't happen on the way home?

Try everything - radio - wipers - windows - locks - body seams - make believe you're never going to have the chance to bring it back to them again. And - important - do all of this before you sign anything. Their motivation to satisfy goes away once they have the money.

Basic tenet of car buying: Always be willing and able to walk away from a deal. Always.

I had transferred all my stuff from my Volvo into my "new" 350Z in Greenville. The tag was on the Z.

I go into the finance "cave" and start signing. Then I notice he's changed the numbers 3 different ways. I was writing out the down payment check when I stopped. I told him how he had it wrong. He disagreed. I tore up the check and drove home in my Volvo. :censored:

Nothing wrong with that, but just because it has a check mark doesn't mean they actually checked it.

Absolutely Terry1234! Don't take a check as actually being checked. Look at what you can for yourself. Personally I would like to talk to the mechanic that did the stuff so I can ask questions as well.

pnikodemos

Your dealership wants it out of there before the end of the month which is why they are pushing you to come pick it up. Look the car over thoroughly for any damage before doing any paperwork. Have them check the fluids and anything else they MUST do to make sure the car is driveable. Do not let them wash it, rather have them leave all the plastic on it for you to remove. Do not let them install the front license plate bracket(unless you want that ugly thing on your car). The antenna, floor mats, wheel locks and front license bracket should be in the trunk.

Regarding warranties, food for thought.

If you plan to drive it a lot and keep it a long time you should consider a warranty if you cannot diagnose and repair this level of technology. Only buy a Ford Premium warranty if you buy one. Warranty pricing is subjective (negotiable), sometimes the F&I guy will give it to you for $50 over his cost if he gets paid for selling "a piece" rather than a comission on the profit from it. Remember also that if you plan to modify the drivetrain, your warranty may be deemed invalid by Ford if they can prove you did so. Many previous SVT owners have been put in that position over the last few years.

You can also add a warranty at any time in the first year of ownership, but you may not get the same price as when you purchased the car. The warranty cost could not then be rolled into your payment either.

LoJack is a nice idea, but that's what you pay insurance for.

Rustproofing is a waste, spend more on keeping the car clean.

You may get to see and sign the Certificate of Origin, but it gets sent to your state to create the Vehicle Title. I got a copy of mine COO from my dealership.

As the others said, have a few drinks, smoke a bowl, or whatever to relax. It will all be over in a few hours.

Have fun with your car, and don't forget to get the wife something to let her know she is still important too. :roses:

LB

Some advice - to add to what Dave has said.

Example - I bought a '91 LX 5.0 from Young Ford in Charlotte.

I was very hyped about the car - so when I started signing all the paperwork, I didn't take my time.

I told the FI guy I didn't want or need any extended warranties.

Two years later, I'm thinning out my files and came across the paperwork. I was charged for the ESP.

I called the dealer and explained.

That guy was fired six months after my deal for doing the same thing.

They sent back my money.

Since then - about 10 deals later - I tell the guy to shut up and let me read what I'm signing.

Don't get caught up in the moment.

Some (or most) of these FI guys get commission.

My mistake? I trusted someone at a dealership. Never again.

Like I said before, CALM, Very Calm, oummmmmm oummmmmm

Good luck on your deal, just don't let anyone ruin your day.

Archived