TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dig-It's 2008 Shelby GT Convertible Update Thread

There's a lot of bits and pieces of information floating around the forums about the status of my 2008 Shelby GT convertible. So I thought I'd start a thread to keep all of the information together. The secondary purpose of this thread is to provide stress relief for me (the wife's idea, we'll see if it works)!

Background

September - I saw the press release picture of the 2008 Shelby GT convertible for the first time in Motortrend magazine enclosed in care package sent from my wife while I was on deployment. I called Wayne Morris Ford to arrange for the purchase of a SGT upon my return to the States.

October - The car was built by FoMoCo. I was granted CSM No. 1716 as I had requested.

November - My car arrived at SAI in Las Vegas. I began paying for the car.

December - It was converted in to a Shelby GT and put in line for conversion to a SGT/SC at SAI's Mod shop.

February - I was informed by Bud at SAI that both Paxton and Whipple were a ways off from producing superchargers for 2008 Mustang GT's (to include Shelby GT's). My SGT was shipped from Las Vegas to Georgia where I picked it from Wayne Morris Ford and drove it home to Virginia. Before I left Georgia, Michael Morris put in a warranty claim for my hood stripes that were wrinkling around the hood scoop. I was notified by Whipple that their supercharger was couple weeks from shipping, so I made arrangements to ship my SGT to Quantum Performance in Texas so that they could convert my car to a SGT/SC in April.

March - I dropped off hood at Cavalier Ford in Virginia to have warranty work completed on hood stripes. I shipped my SGT to Quantum Performance via Elite Auto Transport.

April - I was notified by Whipple that they would by shipping their superchargers out in early May vice April.

May - I decided to purchase an aftermarket fiberglass hood and place my stock hood in storage while waiting for the final hood scoop fix. While on the phone with Shelby Performance Parts to order hood pins for the other hood, I was told that SPP would start carrying the Kenne Bell supercharger for 2008's. I called Bud at SAI to see if my car would still be registered as a Shelby GT/SC if I went with the KB. He told me that if an authorized Shelby mod shop installs a supercharger purchased through SPP, then yes it would be a SGT/SC. I called QP and switched from Whipple to Kenne Bell, which supposed to be released as soon as KB receives their EO certificate. KB superchargers should start shipping mid-June. My aftermarket hood arrived May 23rd.

Today - My Shelby sits at Quantum Performance - well, most of it anyway, because the hood is here in VA. QP's going to install the following:

- Kenne Bell polished 2.6L intercooled supercharger.

- FRPP chrome cam covers

- Shelby Gauge pod

- Baer Brakes DecelaRotors, Hawk HPS brake pads, and stainless steel brakes lines

- FRPP strut tower brace for V6 (if it fits)

The KB blower should arrive at QP the second week week of June (they already have all of the other parts). This update is as of May 29th. Now I hope everybody's caught up on the status of my car because I guess I do feel a little bit better! Thanks y'all!

Ps. In typing this I realized that my car went from Michigan to Nevada to Georgia to Virginia to Texas - with only 1200 miles on the odometer to show for it!

Which aftermarket hood did you get? As you know I've still got a TrueFiber hood (with functional hood scoop) in my garage. Still haven't decided what to do with it yet. Wonder how it would look to have painted stripes on the aftermarket hood and keep the rest factory.

Hopefully you'll get your car back by the time I get home.

My '08 'vert is in line for the Kenne Bell too. Bud said they have to clear something like 18 cars first. I'm hoping I can get it done during my August trip out there (or before).

Hey Tony,

Sure hope mine is one of those 18. Wish me luck. Jim

Hey Tony,

Is your car at SAI? Those are the ones I thought he said had to be finished first. He said he'll try to get me in "early" because my car was going to stay to have it done but I decided not to leave it there since noone knew how long the wait would be and I had to have my car!

Now I'm starting a debate with myself about which one.

That is a great choice, cant wait for the pictures, Rick

Actually Rick, seeing pics of your SGT made the decision even easier.

Which aftermarket hood did you get? As you know I've still got a TrueFiber hood (with functional hood scoop) in my garage. Still haven't decided what to do with it yet. Wonder how it would look to have painted stripes on the aftermarket hood and keep the rest factory.

Hopefully you'll get your car back by the time I get home.

I remember seeing your hood Mark. I know a good paint guy ;)

My hood arrived today. It's the Cervini's '67 hood:

https://www.cervinis.com/large.aspx?img=1166,7019_820.jpg

Kind of a funny story here. I was actually looking for a '68 Shelby style hood but then I saw this one and went back and forth as to which hood to get. I finally decided on the '68 and placed my order. Then last Sunday Roger (rosssvt) calls and we talk about our cars and other stuff. I asked him what he thought of the hood I was getting. He said he preferred the '67 better. So I started to second guess my decision. I called Cervini's the next morning to check on the status of my order and was told that they were having issues with the '68 and that it would be another three weeks. The last thing my car needs is more issues, so I changed my order to the '67.

Out of the box and then with painters tape stripes added to help me visualize the car (and sooth my OCD):

post-10226-1211585449.jpg post-10226-1211585666.jpg

Could you give more info on the brake setup you're getting? I'd do a brake upgrade but all of the Shelby ones for the GT require new wheels. I'd been thinking of the black razors but not sure I want to go there if I don't have to.

The Baer Brake DecelaRotors are cross-drilled and slotted, zinc plated, OEM size brake rotors.

Baer Brake DecelaRotors

The Hawk pads will add better bite too. The stainlessl steel brake lines add firmer feel.

Hey Tony,

Good luck Jim!

post-10226-1211585449.jpg

post-10226-1211585666.jpg

Is your car at SAI? Those are the ones I thought he said had to be finished first.

Yeah, mine has been there since the B-Day Bash. I took it to that event and left it there on January 13, 2008 - 131 days ago (but who's counting :rolleyes: ). I guess they have to do the ones that are there first to have room for you guys. Trust me, I very much want to make room for your car. Jim

Just out of curiosity why did you choose the Kenne Bell and do you mind saying how much it cost installed???? I am still debating which Supercharger to go with, in the mean time I just got my new wheels and next will be brakes.

By the way, Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can not wait to see it done.

Just out of curiosity why did you choose the Kenne Bell and do you mind saying how much it cost installed???? I am still debating which Supercharger to go with, in the mean time I just got my new wheels and next will be brakes.

Here's my reasons:

I originally wanted a Paxton but they're not going to be available anytime soon. So here's the set of compelling reasons for the KB:

1. Automatic transmission. The KB intercooled version fits the auto (as does the Paxton) while the Whipple HO (intercooled) does not. Reason given by Ford was the tranny couldn't handle it, so additional investigation on the KB auto is still needed. If it is compatible it's a done deal.

2. I saw the polished KB on a 725HP SS last weekend. The sound was awesome.

3. The twin screw does have better low RPM response, nice but it wasn't a deal killer in the past.

4. Intercooled version - Colorado gets hot, and we will be driving to Vegas in the summer. I have concerns about over heating on the non-IC version.

Shelby hasn't quoted prices yet.

The Kenne Bell runs for $5800 for the black casing and $6450 for polished. Labor for installation at Quantum is $1120. The Whipple for '07 Mustangs runs $6080 for black and $6440 for polished. The price will increase for '08 Mustangs due to all the additional parts for the airbox. Looks like labor for installation at SAI is around $1400. Never could get a labor quote out of Tasca.

I don't know if KB will increase prices due to the CS logo placards that they'll apply to the casings. Mine won't have on though because it's too early in the production run. I was offered the opportunity to hold out another few weeks so that mine would, but I'm not willing to wait. Maybe I can get a retro set of logos when it's all said and done.

Archived