TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dodge Challenger Concept

robertlane

• 1 month later...

From Alpar website:

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html

“As of yesterday (Feb. 9), Challenger was given a “go” by management. Model year unknown. 6.1 liter Hemi and 6-speed manual transmission only.” — “Der Spien,” a former engineer with DCX.

Oh man, that car is going to rock. Maybe I should start saving now so I can have a GT500 and a Challenger in the garage (yeah right, in my dreams).

Loooove the challenger concept, hope thats what gets built. Hey Im not the only one that was scratching my head trying to figure out how I could have both a shelby and a challenger! I guess if I get locked out of the Shelby It would be a nice alternative. Good to see some american looking cars on the road for a change!

Loooove the challenger concept, hope thats what gets built. Hey Im not the only one that was scratching my head trying to figure out how I could have both a shelby and a challenger! I guess if I get locked out of the Shelby It would be a nice alternative. Good to see some american looking cars on the road for a change!

I'll bet the Challenger will meet or top the HP & torque of the GT500, will have a lower sticker, there won't be $10K dealer markups, and everybody who wants one can buy it. It won't have the Shelby name, although there is a Chysler-Shelby history.

So, ladies and gentlement, how much are you willing to pay for those six letters on the deck lid?

What would lead you to believe the first of these won't have mark-up as well. They used to mark up PT Cruiseres and I know some of the SRT-10 trucks were marked up, along with the early Vipers, etc. I'm not saying your wrong, just simply saying that ADMU is more than a Ford thing.

Everything I've read also states that the challenger will be about 425 HP.

What would lead you to believe the first of these won't have mark-up as well. They used to mark up PT Cruiseres and I know some of the SRT-10 trucks were marked up, along with the early Vipers, etc. I'm not saying your wrong, just simply saying that ADMU is more than a Ford thing.

Everything I've read also states that the challenger will be about 425 HP.

You are definitely correct. They were working on something more potent, but emissions cert's cost ALOT. I don't know about mark-up. Charger & 300c SRT's were going at sticker right from the word "go". Seems like their dealers aren't as....."ambitious" as Ford's (as far as I have seen in ads, e-bay, etc). I think the cost is gonna be ALOT less than the Shelby (low-mid 30's, IMO, and I'm more inclined to think low $30's). The only surprise was that it will have a 6-speed (the people have spoken!!!). Let's hope they don't dilute the production car. My guess would be at least 2008 for the model year. Rockin' B)

I've been getting a lot of conflicting information on the pricing of the challenger. One article read they would start in the mid 30's and on the cover of another(didn't get to read the article, just saw the cover) it hinted that it would be 28k. If that car is even close to concept for 28k they will have insane sales, especially if the dealers don't mark them up. It will certainly be interesting.

One article read they would start in the mid 30's and on the cover of another(didn't get to read the article, just saw the cover) it hinted that it would be 28k. If that car is even close to concept for 28k they will have insane sales, especially if the dealers don't mark them up.

I looked at the 300C, Charger and SRT versions after they came out and even recently. Dealers around here (MN) were/are getting MSRP+ for SRT and were getting MSRP+ for the "regular" 300C and Charger (V8's) until recently. If the Challenger with 400+ HP come out at just above standard Mustang GT pricing, you'll see a run (and the accompanying ADM) for quite a while.

Don't worry, Mopar dealers are just as greedy as Ford dealers! :angry: All car lovers will get an equal opportunity to hate their local dealers!! :lol:

The Challenger will not be any threat to Mustang sales unless base MSRP with a V8 starts around $25K. A 5.7L Hemi with 340hp would have to be available in the mid $20's to compete against the Mustang GT, with the 425hp 6.1L Hemi priced in the low $30's to compete against the upcoming Mustang that will slot between the GT & Shelby (i.e. Boss, Mach 1, etc.). Mopar will need more than 425hp to have a Challenger to compete head-to-head with the Shelby GT500.

Problem is that Challenger will not come to market with a V8 priced at $25K. For that price, they'll likely offer the 3.5L V6 (hopefully no 2.7L V6 in the line up). If the Charger is any indication, it will be $10K more than that with a base 5.7L Hemi which will price it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above the Mustang GT.

I truly believe that the next RWD V8 coupe to compete against the Mustang GT for the same money as a Mustang GT will be a Korean car.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Feb 12 2006, 06:13 PM) 3782[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

The Challenger will not be any threat to Mustang sales unless base MSRP with a V8 starts around $25K. A 5.7L Hemi with 340hp would have to be available in the mid $20's to compete against the Mustang GT, with the 425hp 6.1L Hemi priced in the low $30's to compete against the upcoming Mustang that will slot between the GT & Shelby (i.e. Boss, Mach 1, etc.). Mopar will need more than 425hp to have a Challenger to compete head-to-head with the Shelby GT500.

Problem is that Challenger will not come to market with a V8 priced at $25K. For that price, they'll likely offer the 3.5L V6 (hopefully no 2.7L V6 in the line up). If the Charger is any indication, it will be $10K more than that with a base 5.7L Hemi which will price it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above the Mustang GT.

I truly believe that the next RWD V8 coupe to compete against the Mustang GT for the same money as a Mustang GT will be a Korean car.

Hi everyone,this is my first post and I'm a huge fan of the Shelby GT500 as well as cobra mustangs. I totally agree,the 6.1L 425hp srt-8 version of the hemi challenger will not be a threat to our Shelby GT500, plus ours is built to add alot more power by simple mods os pulley change,exhaust and tune to get at least 600+ hp. There's is a high compression engine,which would take very expensive mods to even come close to the GT500. If DCX was smart,they would have put the 6.4L (392) 500+hp hemi in the srt-8 version to compete with the GT500. :lol: I ran across this thread and the posts are kind of funny as the challenger boys seem alittle confused with the new info., I especially like the posts by Vanishing Point as he seems to be the only one who makes sense. Check it out, here's the link: :D Thanks, John http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Feb 12 2006, 06:13 PM) 3782[/snapback]

I agree, and I think that D/C has probably thought of this...

B)-->

I disagree. Dodge wants to build a car that sells. If it cannot compete with the Mustang (pricing/features/performance) they may as well not build it. That's reality in an ultra-competative market.

B)-->

Quite possibly. Next up: China

The only real info I have found was the online survey I took. One of the questions was "would you pay $3,000 more above a base V-6 for the 6.2 liter hemi" The lastst info would say that they aren't considering a base V-6 at this time. Most likly because they are reaching max. capacity on the LX platform. But that would still put the hemi 6.1 in that $30,000 price range. Don't kid yourself; that would compete against GT500 at a very atractive price. One of my dream cars has always been a Challenger hemi.

I've been getting a lot of conflicting information on the pricing of the challenger. One article read they would start in the mid 30's and on the cover of another(didn't get to read the article, just saw the cover) it hinted that it would be 28k. If that car is even close to concept for 28k they will have insane sales, especially if the dealers don't mark them up. It will certainly be interesting.

I looked at the Daytona Charger in our local Dodge showroom and it's MSRP was over $38,000. I'll bet the Challenger will be as much as the GT500's MSRP, unless they offer a stripped down version. When I was looking at the Charger I was thinking it was so close to what they are saying the Shelbys are going to be

( without ADMU ) that it didn't make much sense, especially for a 4-door musclecar. I realize that it costs basically the same for any company to develop a new car, but it made the Shelby look like a great value to me.

The Challenger.....as we see it will not go to production.

The Shelby GT500 was designed to go to production and to show at 95% of the final production version.

The Challenger, although I like it, was not designed as stringently.

The track width, for instance is notably wider in the rear, which would require a significant amount of developement time and money, the air box would not make production (would have a standard ait filter box), as well the wheels are huge on the concept (20 front and 22 rear I think) which would never perform well.

It would compete with the Mustang GT for sure, but not the GT500.

Hope it will have a similar flavour to the concept though........I like it!!!

KingCobra.

Archived