TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Operable Rear window vents

So one of the coolest things about the earlier fastbacks was the rear window vents that could vent fresh air. I know the Shelbys had glass...but how cool would it be to replace the side glass with an operable venting set-up.....just a random thought.

I had a 1966 Mustang fastback (in 1966). The vents did not accomplish much. They were manual and, therefore, inconvenient to use. They did not allow much air to be moved in any event. They used a slide lever to open and close them. Now, if a kit existed that was powered and it had a high air flow, that would be worth looking into. My two cents. Jim

I remember them from my 1967 GTA. I don't recall them being very efeective, except on warm rainy days. They helped to keep the rear window from fogging up.

Maybe that's what they were designed for? Don't know...

I think they helped flow more air thru the front (defrost, vent, etc) when cruising at speed with all windows closed but not all that much.

Still would be cool --especially when the tunes are on the windows are closed.

I hate using A/C unless really necessary -- though it makes no performance difference these days (the ECU cuts the compressor out at or near WOT).

I'm kinda surprised no one has offered working vents so far (that I'm aware of) -- may be too expensive to make them work right and not rot-out the rear quarters with leaks/drips :shrug:

Archived