TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone forced to use a front plate? Pics please

Ok, so here's where I'm at. My state requires us to use front plates. I have owned my SRT8 for 2.5 years and NEVER put one on there just because I didn't want to.

Now I look at my Shelby and have two ways of thinking:

1) I don't wanna put one on and ruin the aesthetics, especially by interrupting my stripes

2) The car gets TOOOOO much attention as it is, and will surely be noticed a lot by police, which will hit me up for no front plate.

So maybe if I see a few with front plates my mind may change. Please post pics (especially in a Perf White/blue combo) with front plates so I know how interruptive it may or may not be to the overall look.

On the bright side, did get a cool custom plate approved! "I SPEED"

I went the first few months without a plate but this car does draw lots of attention. After sitting at stop lights and seeing cops sitting at lights across from me all the time I figured I better put it on because it is just a matter of time. Here it is a $200 ticket.

Here is mine which is the opposite color combo you have. Blue with White stripes.

02.jpg

shelby51307002.jpg

10-2.jpg

12-2.jpg

13-2.jpg

19-2.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Ok, so here's where I'm at. My state requires us to use front plates. I have owned my SRT8 for 2.5 years and NEVER put one on there just because I didn't want to.

1) I don't wanna put one on and ruin the aesthetics, especially by interrupting my stripes

2) The car gets TOOOOO much attention as it is, and will surely be noticed a lot by police, which will hit me up for no front plate.

So maybe if I see a few with front plates my mind may change. Please post pics (especially in a Perf White/blue combo) with front plates so I know how interruptive it may or may not be to the overall look.

This is where I've gone. This guy built a custom front plate holder that bolts into stock holes underneath (i.e. no drilling required). Mine should be here tomorrow so I'll try to remember to snap a pic for you. I think with shipping, it was ~$70. www.trailerrebuilders.com

This is where I've gone. This guy built a custom front plate holder that bolts into stock holes underneath (i.e. no drilling required). Mine should be here tomorrow so I'll try to remember to snap a pic for you. I think with shipping, it was ~$70. www.trailerrebuilders.com

They have a picture of it installed on their website. I also have it installed on my car.

I picked this idea up from an instructor at the Big Bend Open Road Race. He attaches his front plate to the passenger side visor. He gets pulled over, he pops the visor down. Technically it's legal that way. Just has to be visible from the front end of the car (here in Texas at least).

I am sooo glad I now live where a front plate isn't required! Man! Those things screw-up a beautiful front end!

Side comment: In the 5 1/2 years as a police officer in the state of Misery, err, Missouri, I cannot recall EVER using the front license plate for information. By the time I noticed a violation, (other than no front license plate), the vehicle was in a position that I wouldn't be able to read the front plate. That law always seemed superfluous, and just added needless expense for the printing and mounting of the plate IMO.

Here in Illinois they require a front plate, that being said, I drove my 87 GT for 2 years, my 01 Cobra 7 years and my 08 GT500 without a front plate. Never had a problem with the police. 2 times I had to have a face to face incounter with the police while driving my 01 Cobra and both times the officers noticed my lack of a front plate and they never even mentioned it. I say leave the front end clean.

Mike

I bought from my local speed shop a mount that goes under the splitter and you can fold the plate up or stow it under the splitter when you want it hidden. when I get home I will get the name of the company that manufactures it.

In Maryland where I live, land of the high violent crime rates, it seems the police are making an extra push to keep us safe, high numbers of tickets being issued for no front plates, window tint exceeding the law, etc...go figure

As others have noted, these cars draw alot of attention on their own, no real need to give the police a reason - with that said, I went with Ken's mount from Trailerrebuilder.com, works great, even serves as a good skid plate for steep driveway....

In Nashville a woman never got a car to her home in response to her 911 call about her ex-boyfriend breaking into her house and threatening to kill her with a knife. Yes, he was actually there when she called.

Reason: The officer stopped to help another officer with a traffic stop!? WTF? Gotta have your priorities straight! :huh:

The bracket from Craig Broussard works OK. If I had the chance, I'd get the adjustable one next time.

http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/

Don't forget to peel off the adhesive backing. Ask me how I know. Ahem...

Jer

IMG_0992.JPG

IMG_0992.JPG

Originally this....

l_1ba8ce2328050a4299b5cb7c4d260778.jpg

Now this, bugs and all....

l_f12e8cf65940979790c7a9110270c26c.jpg

Great vanity plate!

:rockon:

Jer

With all due respect to my Shelby bretheren here on this site, but I'm sorry, that front plates looks terrible (totally detracts from the clean lines of the car) if you must then go with the factory bumper install, those other mounts make it stand out even more.

Here in California, its only a fix-it ticket> Some other person made an entry here on this thread that their state has a $200 fine, well lets break it down to the ridiculous, assuming you'd get one ticket a year, ammitorized over that year, it breaks down to 0.55 cents a day, I'd pay that to keep the front clean.

For the fix-it, hang it with some tie-wire or zip ties, get signed off, and back to runnin' clean!

Just my .02, or in this case 0.55 cents !

With all due respect to my Shelby bretheren here on this site, but I'm sorry, that front plates looks terrible (totally detracts from the clean lines of the car) if you must then go with the factory bumper install, those other mounts make it stand out even more.

Here in California, its only a fix-it ticket> Some other person made an entry here on this thread that their state has a $200 fine, well lets break it down to the ridiculous, assuming you'd get one ticket a year, ammitorized over that year, it breaks down to 0.55 cents a day, I'd pay that to keep the front clean.

For the fix-it, hang it with some tie-wire or zip ties, get signed off, and back to runnin' clean!

Totally agree;

Front plates look rediculous on the new body style Mustangs...............

Am sure youall have noticed cutouts in the front bumpers for the plates on v/6s

but not on the GTs and GT500s........................

Cops on Long Island are no fun to deal with... never mind the fine, I just don't need to give them any reason to mess with me. I'm already begging for a hassle for DWS (Driving While Striped).

BTW, yes, the front plate detracts from the look of the car, wish I didn't need it, but there's NO way I'm drilling holes in my bumper, hence the bracket. And how the big black plastic factory mount would make it stand out LESS, I don't understand. To each his own. My name's Jer and I approve this message. ;)

Jer

Cops on Long Island are no fun to deal with... never mind the fine, I just don't need to give them any reason to mess with me. I'm already begging for a hassle for DWS (Driving While Striped).

BTW, yes, the front plate detracts from the look of the car, wish I didn't need it, but there's NO way I'm drilling holes in my bumper, hence the bracket. And how the big black plastic factory mount would make it stand out LESS, I don't understand. To each his own. My name's Jer and I approve this message. ;)

Jer

Jer - I hear ya. Cops in these little NH town are all over me. No way I'm going to give them an excuse to pull me over. Besides, I like the veteran/vanity plates.

Jer - I hear ya. Cops in these little NH town are all over me. No way I'm going to give them an excuse to pull me over. Besides, I like the veteran/vanity plates.

Yah, I guess the trick is to get a cool plate! Hahaha...

Guitar players recognize mine! :rockon:

I get as many comments for the plate as I do for the car!

Jer

I ran across this on the SVTOA site: Tuck Away Front Plate for GT500 http://www.ninosport.com/Altec-Show-n-Go-L...p;category=-101

Any engineers out there? Seems to me that there'd be money to have if they designed and marketed a motorized bracket that would display the plate at the flip of a switch. Can you imagine how many law enforcement officers that would screw with? I can hear it now:

"I'd would've sworn you didn't have a front plate! Sorry, sir. Have a good day."

Archived