TEAM SHELBY FORUM

opinions on "The Snake"

Hi Y'all,

I come from the old school of mustangers, we always called a GT dressed up with cobra emblems a "Fake Snake".

As some of you know I am in the proccess of dressing up (personalising) My black SGT. I like the Engine dress up kits and interior dress ups with "the Snake" but up until now I thought of these items as out of bounds. Now I see that the new fake gas cap for SGT's has the snake on it.

So what are your opinions? does SGT warrant cobra emblem dress up items? Does the SGT (due to its Shelby roots) fall into the Cobra genre?

Back in the day, "fake snakes" brought about derision from purists, I don't want any of that sort of attention. So what do y'all think?

Stephen Vick

Personally, I perfer to install the "CS Supercharged" faux gas cap on my SGTS/C over the upcoming snake cap. But that's because the snake being used on that gas cap looks goofy to me. If SAI would have used the tiffany snake on that gas cap, then I would have installed that one instead.

It all boils down to personal preference.

Hi Y'all,

I come from the old school of mustangers, we always called a GT dressed up with cobra emblems a "Fake Snake".

As some of you know I am in the proccess of dressing up (personalising) My black SGT. I like the Engine dress up kits and interior dress ups with "the Snake" but up until now I thought of these items as out of bounds. Now I see that the new fake gas cap for SGT's has the snake on it.

So what are your opinions? does SGT warrant cobra emblem dress up items? Does the SGT (due to its Shelby roots) fall into the Cobra genre?

Back in the day, "fake snakes" brought about derision from purists, I don't want any of that sort of attention. So what do y'all think?

Stephen Vick

I don't have a problem with it, but that's not the way I'm going with mine. I'm going for the FORD pony theme since I am a hard-core Ford guy.

We went around and around with discussions like this for awhile. Here are some bullets we kept coming back too.

-Mr. Shelby is qouted as once saying there is a little Cobra in every car he builds.

-The '60 era GT350s and GT500s had cobras on them, the one used on the Shelby GT gas cap was used on 1968 (I believe) GT350s.

-The Tiffany Cobra is for the GT500s. SAI purposely didn't put any Tiffany Cobras on the Shelby GT as not to confuse their identities.

-During the design process of the gas caps alot of ideas were offered. The only ones that Amy said we couldn't use were the Tiffany Cobra and the old style Cobra emblem used on '65-66 GT 350s.

-Most importantly, each car has its own individual owner and as such will have its own personality through customizing. I say it's your car do as you wish.

As for me I was a big proponet of a Shelby GT specifc gas cap. I even offered a gas cap design that used the same snake profile. I am happy with the 'Berg' design and will buy two (for the right price) but I think I am going to install the "CS Supercharged" cap from SPP. That may depend on which set of new wheels I choose.

I had the same question when modding my SGT. As far as the exterior, the only mod I am doing that is non Shelby is a set of Bonspeed wheels, along with a Shelby brake upgrade. I want to keep the original look as much as possible. I would not remove the gas cap to put another cap on that did not come on the car, but to each his own. I have received a lot of grief just because of the Bonspeed wheels.

Kevin

07SGT2591

I had the same question when modding my SGT. As far as the exterior, the only mod I am doing that is non Shelby is a set of Bonspeed wheels, along with a Shelby brake upgrade. I want to keep the original look as much as possible. I would not remove the gas cap to put another cap on that did not come on the car, but to each his own. I have received a lot of grief just because of the Bonspeed wheels.

Kevin

07SGT2591

I wouldn't worry about that one bit. The car has way more Ford than Shelby in it. Even less Shelby in the GT500 which has Cobras all over it. I take more pride in the fact that it's Ford than anything else....to each their own.

Hi Y'all,

Stephen Vick

You're in San Diego, Stephen, and I'm in Chicago. But, it's the same deal around here.

Folks who don't know the Mustang/Shelby heritage say "Wow! Niiiice!" Folks who know, say "oh, maaan...".

Like you, I am not comfortable with some of the "badging" available. I took advantage of the engine dress up kit you mention, as well as the interior head rest and center console "Shelby" embroidered covers, and I have not heard any negative remarks...Yet. But, I still feel somewhat uncomfortable because I am waiting for the remarks to fly at the next inspection.

Trunk badging and "faux gas cap" stuff was an easy topic for me, I opted out. There's enough "Shelby" out back on my SGT. I added the plain satin faux gas cap cover, and now my SGT says "S H E L B Y" across the trunk lid, and the satin brushed aluminum faux gas cap cover let's it simply say "G T". This is enough for me.

I too, am a loyal FORD owner and have been for years. My INEX/600 race cars are '37 and '40 Ford coupes. But, I want my SGT to be unique, and in a muted and reserved manner. As rare as an SGT is in my arena, no one seems to notice my personal mods.

Maybe this is good? Maybe I'm just another blond...

In the end, who cares? Do what you want, it's your SGT. Personalize it any way you want.

I had the same question, and I even asked Amy and she responded saying that the SGT is NOT a COBRA, but as Carroll says, there is a little Cobra in all Shelbys. So as far as I'm concerned, if you want to add the old style Cobras, I'd think it would be ok...I think I'd stay clear of the Tiffany Snake version as on the GT500, but there's plenty of other stuff that would look great on the SGT...headrest/armrest covers, hub caps, gas caps, steering wheel caps (hopefully on the last two...sometime in my lifetime!!!)

Have you got that GT500 spoiler mounted yet??? Need Pics if you have!

I'm still happy with the Berg Design gas cap, but IMHO it's a personal choice. It's your car, personalize it however you wish or leave it bone stock. Having said that, I think I will will hold off on giving SAI any more of my money until the infamous Hood Scoop problems are solved. I dunno...just seems like the base product should be right before offering farkles and upgrade kits. Just my opinion.

Jim

Well you can guess where I stand.....do realize that there will always be a group of folks that will prefer to keep the car original, and then there will be other guys that think the SGT is a good starting place to mod the heck out of it....nothing wrong with either. I'm somewhere in the middle...nothing wild....just keeping mine original with only SAI approved parts. It's tough waiting for the SGT goodies but I think it's worth it to say it's all Shelby approved parts.

I think the "no snake" folks are no different than other guys that say no to spoilers, no to side scoops , no to non-SAI installed S/C, or no to painted stripes...the list goes on and on. It is really up to the owner to decide what is best....a little variety is not a bad thing.

SAI created a wonderful car in the SGT in a very short design time....but I really feel that the "gas cap" is one of the items that would have been added if they had more time before production started. The SGT doesn't look terrible as is, and I don't blame anyone leaving it as is....but I don't know of any special edition mustangs (2005+) that do not have an exclusive gas cap. This is that cap...it's a Shelby approved exclusive SGT Gas cap that has a very interesting grass roots story in how it came about---think jury duty with 300 people.

I know not every SGT will be sporting one but I know it will bring :) to my face for everyone I see on the road and I wouldn't hesitate to shake the hand of any owner that is sporting one.

All that being said, it doesn't hurt to have a backup plan, none of the "Snakes" items are permanent and can easily switched back to "non-snake" if I wish later. I know I'm keeping all my original parts....and 30 years from now....my original non snake parts will look brand new.

my thoughts about the Cobras and Snakes

- The Tiffany Cobra became Ford's after Shelby and Ford parted ways in 1970

- That is why you saw it on Cobra IIs and Torino's and SVT Mustangs over the years

- The Shelby GT 500 is an SVT Mustang so it is adorned with the Tiffany Cobra

- the Shelby GT is as much a Cobra as any other Shelby Mustang (and even more than any other Mustang built from 1971-2005)

- Carroll Shelby is Cobra, in fact Team Shelby sent me a Tiffany Cobra keychain and decal

- I assume legal reasons restricted the use of the Tiffany cobra on Shelby GT?? dunno

- The Shelby GT uses a majority of Ford Racing Components in it's performance and handling upgrades

- Ford Racing sells the Tiffany Cobra faux fuel cap / trunk lock emblem and SAI has the new Shelby GT Cobra faux fuel cap

- it is not a rattlesnake, viper, or anaconda, etc - it is a Cobra, a Shelby Cobra, a Shelby GT Cobra

- I am going to add Cobras to my heart's content to my Shelby GT but retain all the original parts to easily go back to stock if I desire

BTW, If I had a GT 500 I would be replacing all the SVT emblems with Shelby and Cobra emblems and move the rear SHELBY letters to the center

"If it's not a Shelby, it's not a Cobra" - that is Shelby's motto for the roadster because of all the non-shelby roadsters out there.

Most of all - Have Fun!

Sort of off topic a bit - but has to do with badging. . . . .

Been thinking about how some of us are concerned with the 'Powered by Ford' emblems on the fenders are so darn valuable and equaly sought after. . . . . . . . I'm thinking about getting the Shelby W/S banner and using the CS logo part of the decal on the fenders in place of the 'Powered by Ford' emblems and just puttin' those little suckers up on a shelf in a box with the other original parts that I've taken off.

I'm not going for the ghetto look, but I don't want to lose them darn things and thought the CS logo decal might actually be a nice touch in their place on the fenders. Maybe I'm totall off my rocker here. . . . maybe that's what signifies it as 'official' and not a 'clone' . . . but whatever.

Would this be taboo in the circle of fellow SGT owners - or - would you folks look at it and say - That's a great idea!!! ??????

Edited to add:

My $0.02? I guess I'm with those who have said - you are an individual - your SGT is as individualistic as you make it. Your style will be reflected in the decisions you make about how to mod or alter your SGT to the way 'YOU' like it. I guess I really like the attention my SGT brings, and the personal touches make the attention that much more gratifying. For those who have 'Snaked' their SGT - it does look pretty awesome!! And the 'Berg' design Shelby GT caps are pretty darn sweet lookin'. . . . . If I were going for that theme on my SGT......HELL Yeah!

I can understand this view though. . . . it's a Shelby GT. . . . and came with no snakes on it. . . . it's Not a "Shelby GT Cobra" . . . . it was not based on the Shelby Cobra GT500 like the KR or the 40th or the SS. . . . . . Those have 'snakes' on them and came that way from the getgo. . . .

Short version of above. . . . to me, it seems like your walking that line of cloning or showing something you don't have. Simply put, you're making it something it's not. Is it a Caprice Classic or is it an Impala SS?? All a matter of some minor packaging and - EMBLEMS.

Anyone got change for a $5.00 - Sorry for my rambling. Thanks!

Trevor

Sort of off topic a bit - but has to do with badging. . . . .

Been thinking about how some of us are concerned with the 'Powered by Ford' emblems on the fenders are so darn valuable and equaly sought after. . . . . . . . I'm thinking about getting the Shelby W/S banner and using the CS logo part of the decal on the fenders in place of the 'Powered by Ford' emblems and just puttin' those little suckers up on a shelf in a box with the other original parts that I've taken off.

I'm not going for the ghetto look, but I don't want to lose them darn things and thought the CS logo decal might actually be a nice touch in their place on the fenders. Maybe I'm totall off my rocker here. . . . maybe that's what signifies it as 'official' and not a 'clone' . . . but whatever.

Would this be taboo in the circle of fellow SGT owners - or - would you folks look at it and say - That's a great idea!!! ??????

As I said before it is your car, do as you please. Would it be taboo to remove the "Powered by Ford" badge. I don't think so but the "Powered by Ford" badge is one of the coolest and most unique part of the car. I have heared countless comments about them at shows. The thought of removing them never entered my mind. I don't think they are that easy to get off. It isn't like somebody is going to get them off in a minute or so.

Also, despite you dash plaque, engine plaque, warped hood scoop some will think your car is a clone if you don't have one of the most unique and recognizeable parts on the car. I know if I saw your car driving down the street I would I would think it was fake without seeing the plaques.

As I said before it is your car, do as you please. Would it be taboo to remove the "Powered by Ford" badge. I don't think so but the "Powered by Ford" badge is one of the coolest and most unique part of the car. I have heared countless comments about them at shows. The thought of removing them never entered my mind. I don't think they are that easy to get off. It isn't like somebody is going to get them off in a minute or so.

Also, despite you dash plaque, engine plaque, warped hood scoop some will think your car is a clone if you don't have one of the most unique and recognizeable parts on the car. I know if I saw your car driving down the street I would I would think it was fake without seeing the plaques.

Excellent points, sir, thank you.

The PBF badges are unique to the SGT. No other Ford product wears them (for now). Should Ford add them to other vehicles, I would be very disappointed. But, we got them first.

I could get them both off a car in about a minute without damaging the badges...your fender might not like my "method" though...

I agree - the "Powered By Ford" badges are a very nice touch - they are from the Shelby Cobra roadster - that's part of the Cobra DNA! They really stand out.

Interestingly, I have seen them applied to a GT 500 in place of the Tiffany Cobras one of my Shelby magazine articles - I believe it was a Ford Racing upgrade article on a 2007 GT 500.

Archived