TEAM SHELBY FORUM

ADM's Killed the GT40 market, Will the Shelby GT500 be next?

I was talking with one of my old contacts today & the subject of the GT40 came up & why it was killed. He mentioned that since Ford was in this "WAY FORWARD" mode & that the dealers are still sitting on them & not selling very many of them because of the HIGH ADM's that Ford decided to pull the plug on production early. "Why make more cars if they are not going to sell" he said? I said remove the ADM's & watch them fly out of the dealership show rooms. Needless to say we went back & forth on what's right & what's fair. The only thing we seemed to agree on was that the greedy dealers are hurting Ford by not turning cars fast enough & reordering causing specialty cars to suffer & pissing off customers who may never return to a Ford product because of such a bad experience.

What's your thoughts on how this effects great cars, loyal customers & Ford Motor Company?

Ford did not pull the plug early on the GT. Ford planned all along for a two year run of about 2000 cars each year. Ford sold each and every one they made and could sell more if it met 2007 regulatory standards. It is true that some dealers are sitting on cars with unrealistic expectations, but the dealers are not Ford and they operate independently. Ford's entire prodution run of GTs was sold out long ago.

Ford did not pull the plug early on the GT. Ford planned all along for a two year run of about 2000 cars each year. Ford sold each and every one they made and could sell more if it met 2007 regulatory standards. It is true that some dealers are sitting on cars with unrealistic expectations, but the dealers are not Ford and they operate independently. Ford's entire prodution run of GTs was sold out long ago.

No offence, But just because you own one doesn't mean you know everything. My Buddy still works in the design studio for FORD & I trust his info a little more than yours. Actually they were to build 4500 cars (see Info provided below from an older article) According to FORDs published year end sales In 2004 they sold 144 cars, in 2005 they sold 1302 & so far as of July 2006 they are reporting they sold another 1222 GT 40's for a total of 2668 so far and they still need to finish up the ones they have & then sell them to more greedy dealers like the one in Fort Wayne Indiana who won't even give you a price if you have to ask how much. That's a far cry from the original 4500 cars they predicted, so if you think that a dealer who sits on a vehicle & ask a gold mine for it is helping his supplier out by holding out, than that's your opinion. But according to my buddy that helped kill it because they don't make money off it once they sell it to a dealer & if he doesn't re-order more than why build what's not selling when all they are doing is slowing sales by sitting on them?

Production startup began will start in spring 2004, with a projected total volume of 4500 cars. The first customers will take delivery in September 2004. The GT is built and painted by Saleen in their Saleen Special Vehicles facility in Troy, Michigan. The GT is powered by an engine built at Ford's Romeo Engine Plant in Romeo, Michigan. Installation of the engine and transmission along with interior finishing is handled by Ford's Wixom, Michigan plant.

Of the 4,500 GTs planned, only 101 will be exported to Europe, starting in late 2005, and 200 are destined for Canada. With production ending mid-2006, it is unlikely that the full 4500 will be produced.

As with many highly desirable new vehicles, when the Ford GT was first released demand outpaced supply, and the cars initially sold for premium prices, with the first selling for over $500,000 to a retired Microsoft executive at a charity auction and other early cars selling for up to $100,000 or more over the suggested retail price ($140,000 - $157,000 depending on options).

Independent sources then began gathering and analysing public information on production, sales, and selling prices, and posted that information as a resource for buyers and sellers. By June 2005 prices had dropped to $10,000 to $20,000 over MSRP, and in August 2005 several new GTs had sold on eBay for MSRP. Recognizing the ongoing demand for the car, Ford raised the base sticker by $10,000 to $149,995 in late 2005.

The production run of the GT will now end with the 2006 model year in September, and the Wixom Assembly plant, where the GT is finish-assembled, and is scheduled for closure in 2007

Coldwater, Its been known for a LONG time that the roof would not meet upcoming 07 standards. And when I was at the 100 Ann. (the red white and blue cars) celebration they said closer to 3K units would be made. What did Chris Theodore know? ;)

I may not know everything either.

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night!

Coldwater, Its been known for a LONG time that the roof would not meet upcoming 07 standards. And when I was at the 100 Ann. (the red white and blue cars) celebration they said closer to 3K units would be made. What did Chris Theodore know? ;)

I may not know everything either.

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night!

Point well taken & I hope you got the government rate, but my point was originally they were to produce 4500 cars (based on what was in print in 2004) Now you throw in slow sales from greedy dealers & the New Fed regulations & yes that has a bearing on it too. This could happen with the GT500 also after 2 years of production & who says that they will actually make 9000 cars this year based on all this material hold crap & restricting of dealer orders (like my car)?

Like I said, if you think a dealer who sits on a vehicle & continues to ask a gold mine for it is helping his supplier out (Ford) by holding out for maximum ADM before the car is ever built, than that's your opinion, but if a dealer doesn't re-order more cars than why should ford build anymore specialty cars if no orders are coming in? Slow sales are generated by dealers sitting on them which give false data to the Supplier/Plants that their product isn't selling thus causing smaller production numbers & even worse, discontinuing lines of cars/trucks & closing of plants. Take the dealer out of it & let us order direct from ford & the problem is cured. Real data from the end customer.

Coldwaterhotrod-

Chill dude...What's with the "because you own one" hostility? Why do you trust your source more than mine? You don't even know who my source is. I'd be happy to share my source of information. And no I did not read it in the owners manual.

My information does not come from ownership, it comes from knowing the guy in charge of production at the Wixom plant. When I was there two weeks ago watching my second GT bring built (Heritage, serial number 1714) we discussed production. They are building Canadian cars now since US production has ended.

Your sales numbers are from dealer sales to individuals, not from Ford to dealers. Sales numbers are not the same as production numbers.

Believe what you want from your design guy buddy. I'll trust the information from the guys at the plant.

As far as making money on the car, Ford did turn a small profit on the GT. It would have been higher if they hadn't had the suspension recall on the early '05 cars. Supplying billet control arms was an expensive fix and ate substantially into the profits. Parts cost alone on the billet arms was close to $12K per set.

Whine as much as you want about ADM, free enterprise, supply and demand or whatever you want to call it, but dealer mark up did not end production of the Ford GT. It will not kill the GT500 either.

For the record there will be 4038 Ford GTs built when production finally stops.

Guest evilchris

Whine as much as you want about ADM, free enterprise, supply and demand or whatever you want to call it, but dealer mark up did not end production of the Ford GT. It will not kill the GT500 either.

More cars would been ordered had they sold THROUGH faster and not SAT on lots with $300,000 stickers. The owner of the Company I work for, my boss, is worth over $40,000,000. He wanted a Ford GT but is one of those guys who doesn't like being ripped off or giving away money. He wouldn't pay over sticker, and was completely disgusted and turned off by Ford dealers. "Oh thats them not Ford". Doesn't matter. To him, it's FORD. The dealers are Ford's ambassadors.

He walked in and asked about the GT, and the dealer had those "Pace car for an entire company" banners everywhere. The dumbshit salesmen said " Mustang GT? ". Then when corrected, he asked about a list, how to get one etc. The dealership had no friggin clue, and left him standing there with no assistance. Yeah, thats the way to treat a guy with millions of dollars. This was Kearny Mesa Ford in San diego by the way.

If the dealers sold the cars at sticker the second they came in, making GOOD PROFIT while doing so, more would have been built, period. You also wouldn't have rich guys like my boss turned off to Ford for life.

So, using the sales numbers supplied by coldwaterhotrod, it appears that the argument goes like this:

Ford produced fewer GTs than expected throughout the entire run. The reason: cars were sitting on dealer lots because of high ADM. Therefore, Ford cut back production because it wasn't seeing the demand it would have seen if the cars were offered by dealers at MSRP.

But...that means there was always excess capacity available to produce more cars. And that means if I were a dealer and I wanted another GT, I'd just punch a order into Conceps (sp?) and a GT would appear on my lot 6-8 weeks later.

So, here's where I have a problem with the assumption that ADMs killed the GT (...or the Thunderbird for that matter): if I'm a dealer and I can order multiple GTs without a problem (because there's excess capacity...remember, the argument is Ford pulled back production below it's expectation and capacity)....then why would I not order up more cars and sell them for a healthy profit? As a dealer, I wouldn't have to make $200,000 on each one to be worth my while. I'd be happy to make $10,000 or so (at MSRP) to $25,000 or so (...with a relatively small ADM...). And I wouldn't even have flooring costs because I could submit the orders only with deposits in hand and still make easy money.

Nope, doesn't add up, guys. And giving a reason like, "...well, dealers are dumb...that's how they should have played it...." doesn't really support the notion that ADM killed the GT. Nor does "...well, they all colluded..." because anyone who has studied collusion at all will conclude it is a practical impossibility for all SVT dealers to collude on pricing over any period of time.

IF Ford produced fewer GTs than reasonably feasible (...meaning in a manner that meets or exceeds its proforma for the vehicle) and IF it stopped production earlier than planned, ADM certainly isn't the reason. It's a nice, easy answer...but it doesn't make any sense. If production was less than anticipated, it would be interesting to understand the real reason(s).

I will second the fact that Gt production was ended due to it being cost prohibitive to meet the new crash standards. This should be common knowledge - not sure why it's even being debated. It's always easy to blame the dealers, but the reality is not so simple. That's not to say that ADM had absolutely nothing to do with it - because really it can never be proved one way or the other, but ultimately GT production ended because it had to, regardless of dealer ADM, backlog, etc.

If ADM killed the market for anyone, it would be for the dealers with ADM's. I'd say the GT market is as hot as ever - we've been selling every single one we can get our hands on at a rate of about 5 per month since January (hint: MSRP + 0). The longest one ever sat on our showroom before being sold is about four weeks, but most sold within a week or two, and several sold within a couple days.

By the time Ford had produced the Ford GT in 2004, the feds changed bumper safety laws (effective Jan 2007) that don't conform with racing technology standards that apply the theory for the front end to "break away" to survive a 212 mph crash, thus making cars like the Ford GT and Ferrari Enzo a thing of the past in the U.S. This is why Ford had Shelby design the www.FordGR.com (conforms to new federal standards).

ADMs do not kill car production.

I can understand the consumer does not agree with ADMs. However, ADMs are only simple economics based on the supply and demand of a product. Its not greed. Its capitalism. Thank God for the Freedom

to price a commodity at Fair Market. We sell every Ford except Shelby's and GT's for $500 below invoice minus incentives, yet this reply will be attacked for days.

Ferraris sell for 20-30% over sticker, although the Ferrari dealer will call it a "Premium".

The end result is that the Ford GT with R&D and a costly recall in early 2005, pushed Ford Motor Company's

production cost over $221,000 per GT Coupe. This means spent almost a Billion Dollars (literally) on the project and lost $67,000 per unit sold. While dealer finance charges and various manufacturing incentives

and tax breaks ultimately counter act the 26 million dollar loss, it still makes sense why Ford could be purchased for a cool 13 billion. Before the Firestone wilderness debacle it was reported Ford was worth over

60 billion dollars.

With GM selling GMAC and creating a supposed "Alliance" with Renault & Nissan (sounds like DiamlerChrysler) and the possibility FoMoCo going private (newsflash GOOGLE buys FORD)

and selling Ford Credit to Chase and giving away Land Rover/Jag to Jac Nasser, the fabric of this forum could change very rapidly.

Total 2005 MY production 2043

Total 2006 MY production 1870

TOTAL 3913

Month Year Sales Production

October 2004 22

November 63

December 59

2004 Total 144 547

January 2005 7

February 4

March 44

April 70

May 117

June 150

July 91

August 113

September 176

October 165

November 157

December 208

2005 Total 1302 1890

January 2006 157 184

February 194 183

March 204 166

2006 Total 555 533

Grand Total 2001 2970

...I can understand the consumer does not agree with ADMs. However, ADMs are only simple economics based on the supply and demand of a product. Its not greed. Its capitalism. Thank God for the Freedom

to price a commodity at Fair Market. We sell every Ford except Shelby's and GT's for $500 below invoice minus incentives, yet this reply will be attacked for days....

Let me be the first (and probably only) poster to say that I agee with you. Thank God for ADM or I would not be buying my other cars for $500 below invoice. The knife cuts both ways. Those that do not understand capitalism and the free market system are doomed to be unhappy as they constantly blame others for their misunderstnading and misfortune.

I can understand the consumer does not agree with ADMs. However, ADMs are only simple economics based on the supply and demand of a product. Its not greed. Its capitalism. Thank God for the Freedom

to price a commodity at Fair Market.

You aren't the only one in agreement with this statement, Florida Chris. Ford may set a vehicle's MSRP, but only the MARKET determines the vehicle's VALUE (and therefore the PRICE). Why is this so hard to understand? :banghead: When cars lose their appeal, aren't they sold for less than sticker? It works the other way too!

If you are upset about the COST of the Shelby, don't be upset at the Dealers! Be upset at the reasons the cost is higher than you would like: 1) All the other people out there who want one, and 2) Ford for not making a ton more of them.

Don't flame me, but I wonder if those who DON'T agree with this are ones who are not getting a Shelby? Just a thought. I paid more than sticker and don't begrudge anyone; in my opinion, getting a 500 HP modern car for what I paid is still a major bargain when compared to other 500 HP cars. If it is not worth it to you, don't buy it; that is the beauty of this country.

You aren't the only one in agreement with this statement, Florida Chris. Ford may set a vehicle's MSRP, but only the MARKET determines the vehicle's VALUE (and therefore the PRICE). Why is this so hard to understand? :banghead: When cars lose their appeal, aren't they sold for less than sticker? It works the other way too!

If you are upset about the COST of the Shelby, don't be upset at the Dealers! Be upset at the reasons the cost is higher than you would like: 1) All the other people out there who want one, and 2) Ford for not making a ton more of them.

I think the problem most people have with this argument is it is a fairly unique situation to the automotive marketplace. For almost every other product you can buy, if a manufacturer sets an MSRP, the actual retailers of said product sell at or below the MSRP. If there is a shortage of supply, it is more common that the product sells out and is on back order rather than seeing large premiums attached to the product.

I agree with the statements that this is how a capitalistic market works, but there is a point of excess. It seems it would serve all parties concerned better if the car (any car in demand, not just GT500s) were sold at or just above MSRP. Consumers would get what they want at a fair price, dealers would be able to sell more cars and theoretically achieve the same profit, the manufacturer would put more cars on the road resulting in more product recognition and more happy customers. Of course, like all hypotheticals, this is far easier to state than to see practiced.

Guest evilchris

Let me be the first (and probably only) poster to say that I agee with you. Thank God for ADM or I would not be buying my other cars for $500 below invoice. The knife cuts both ways. Those that do not understand capitalism and the free market system are doomed to be unhappy as they constantly blame others for their misunderstnading and misfortune.

You're right Florida Chris. We should also have no problem with gas prices as they increase to $5 / gallon. Hell, lets make it $10 a gallon, why not? People don't need gas, it isn't a life necessity. They can carpool or take the bus. We should be happy Exxon is making $1,650 a second in profit. This is capitalism and the free market system. I also believe electric co's should get together, and raise the cost of electricity by a factor 10. That way the fortunate people like you can laugh at all the poor sots like me.

Maybe we can also raise the cost of housing by a factor of 10, and throw all those annoying 6 figure making people like me out on the streets. Afterall, if you don't have Florida Chris's money, you don't understand capitalism and the free market system, and need to blame others for your misunderstanding and misfortune.

Hm what else can I raise prices on to asinine levels? What I really want to do is make it so that only people like Florida Chris can buy nice things, by increasing products to 10x what they are now.

I love the attitude. "So what if dealers reneg on signed contracts and lie to consumers. This is capitalism, a free market system. Don't like it? Don't buy it. " I want to hit people in the face with a bat that say stupid crap like that.

You don't seem to have a very good grasp on the definition of capitalism, Chris. You've got the typical arrogant attitude of people with a lot of money. " i gots mine, f everyone else ".

Coldwaterhotrod-

Chill dude...What's with the "because you own one" hostility? Why do you trust your source more than mine? You don't even know who my source is. I'd be happy to share my source of information. And no I did not read it in the owners manual.

My information does not come from ownership, it comes from knowing the guy in charge of production at the Wixom plant. When I was there two weeks ago watching my second GT bring built (Heritage, serial number 1714) we discussed production. They are building Canadian cars now since US production has ended.

Your sales numbers are from dealer sales to individuals, not from Ford to dealers. Sales numbers are not the same as production numbers.

Believe what you want from your design guy buddy. I'll trust the information from the guys at the plant.

As far as making money on the car, Ford did turn a small profit on the GT. It would have been higher if they hadn't had the suspension recall on the early '05 cars. Supplying billet control arms was an expensive fix and ate substantially into the profits. Parts cost alone on the billet arms was close to $12K per set.

For the record there will be 4038 Ford GTs built when production finally stops.

Guest evilchris

Don't flame me, but I wonder if those who DON'T agree with this are ones who are not getting a Shelby? Just a thought. I paid more than sticker and don't begrudge anyone; in my opinion, getting a 500 HP modern car for what I paid is still a major bargain when compared to other 500 HP cars. If it is not worth it to you, don't buy it; that is the beauty of this country.

What if it was 499 HP? It seems like "500" is some kind of magic number.

(TWO) GT'S AND A GT500! + LIVE IN FLORIDA! Will you adopt me? I'm only 52. :wub::baby: I'll take very good care of your toys. :yup:

Sure! As long as you bring your Harley down with you. I assume from your screen name that you've got a Harley too.

While we're talking about free markets, do you remember in the early 90's when you couldn't get a Harley for MSRP?

I love the attitude. "So what if dealers reneg on signed contracts and lie to consumers. This is capitalism, a free market system. Don't like it? Don't buy it. " I want to hit people in the face with a bat that say stupid crap like that.

You don't seem to have a very good grasp on the definition of capitalism, Chris. You've got the typical arrogant attitude of people with a lot of money. " i gots mine, f everyone else ".

Here we go with the "ADM is the same as breaking a contract" argument.

What if it was 499 HP? It seems like "500" is some kind of magic number.

I think everyone agrees that MSRP would be best. However, we are all on this web site for a reason; this particular car generates interest/fanatical behavior. Is there a similar website for the M5? Doubt it. How about the M6 one year before it bowed? No. My point it is simple; everyone needs to stay out of everyone else's business. If paying this much for a car is something you have the monetary means (or not) to achieve and it is worth it to you, so be it. If you have the means and choose not to buy this car (many people in this category; remember people pay over 30K for a flipping Honda Accord) then so be it. People with discretionary income (this is an important point; not selling the baby to buy a car) will spend it according to individual priorities. If I had an extra 50K sitting around after I bought a gt500 would I buy another? no. Would I buy another car? no. Would I save it for retirement..probably. To each his own. Why rip on someone who decides to spend HIS money for this car? He is not spending yours or anyone else's money. Live and let live.... :rockon:

Guest evilchris

I think everyone agrees that MSRP would be best. However, we are all on this web site for a reason; this particular car generates interest/fanatical behavior. Is there a similar website for the M5? Doubt it. How about the M6 one year before it bowed? No. My point it is simple; everyone needs to stay out of everyone else's business. If paying this much for a car is something you have the monetary means (or not) to achieve and it is worth it to you, so be it. If you have the means and choose not to buy this car (many people in this category; remember people pay over 30K for a flipping Honda Accord) then so be it. People with discretionary income (this is an important point; not selling the baby to buy a car) will spend it according to individual priorities. If I had an extra 50K sitting around after I bought a gt500 would I buy another? no. Would I buy another car? no. Would I save it for retirement..probably. To each his own. Why rip on someone who decides to spend HIS money for this car? He is not spending yours or anyone else's money. Live and let live.... :rockon:

No ones ripping on him. He and others are ripping on people for "whining" about stealerships. My problem is with the stealerships. Many others here have the same problem. Florida Chris cannot seem to live and let live, and calls us "whiners" and tells us to "deal with it". Apparently he is in my business.

EC-

Your responses prove my point.

None the less, I will respond one time to this nonsense.

I left college with more debt than most people had on their house at the time. My parents grew up on farms in the Midwest and didn't have 2 cents to rub together.

I have been fortunate, yes, but isn't it funny how much good fortune one reaps with hard work and perseverance? I never whined about not being able to have something I couldn't afford. I never complained that someone wouldn't sell me something for a price I agree with. I never bash anyone for their success, it is something to be celebrated.

I have reaped the rewards of hard work and risk taking in the greatest country on this earth. Only in America can you live the American dream.

...and that's all I have to say about that.

Time to go put another coat of wax on the 'stang.

-Chris

PS A great book that deals with these different perspectives is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I highly recommend it!

Sorry, just sold the Harley for Shelby money. Decided to stay with 4 wheels from here on out.

Yes, mine was a 1999 Fatboy. There was a 2 year wait on them when I bought mine. I live in northern Indiana and ended up ordering one from Barnetts in El paso, TX. I called them and asked them if they had any Fatboys and their reply was what color? I told the black and he said yes, 3 of them. I sent them the money and they delivered it to my garage. They buy other dealer's allocation and re-sell them. Mine originally was from a dealer in PA.

Not too unlike what is happening with the Shelby.

I spend 2 weeks in April at Fort Meyer's Beach. I'd like to see your toys next year if your not too far from there.

:shift:

I had a '97 Road King. I rode it out to Oregon and back one summer with a stop in Sturgis on the way back. What a great bike, I sure miss it.

Anyway, Ft. Meyers Beach is about a three hour drive across the state. Drop me a line when you come down. It is always great sharing toys with other enthusiasts. You are more than welcome to drive the GT if you want. You can help me wax it too if you feel the urge :hysterical:

-Chris

EC-

Your responses prove my point.

None the less, I will respond one time to this nonsense.

I left college with more debt than most people had on their house at the time. My parents grew up on farms in the Midwest and didn't have 2 cents to rub together.

I have been fortunate, yes, but isn't it funny how much good fortune one reaps with hard work and perseverance? I never whined about not being able to have something I couldn't afford. I never complained that someone wouldn't sell me something for a price I agree with. I never bash anyone for their success, it is something to be celebrated.

I have reaped the rewards of hard work and risk taking in the greatest country on this earth. Only in America can you live the American dream.

...and that's all I have to say about that.

Time to go put another coat of wax on the 'stang.

-Chris

PS A great book that deals with these different perspectives is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I highly recommend it!

I had a '97 Road King. I rode it out to Oregon and back one summer with a stop in Sturgis on the way back. What a great bike, I sure miss it.

Anyway, Ft. Meyers Beach is about a three hour drive across the state. Drop me a line when you come down. It is always great sharing toys with other enthusiasts. You are more than welcome to drive the GT if you want. You can help me wax it too if you feel the urge :hysterical:

-Chris

When I bought the Harley, I did so without telling my wife.

Then I had to tell her that there would be a couple guys delivering a package on Wednsday and to just have them put it in the garage.

She said what is the package? Under my breath I muttered the Fatboy. THE WHAT! :rant:

Still married though after 31 years.

You must have one heck of an understanding wife!!

Helping you wax it is the least I could do. I'll drop you a line when the time comes.

You might find this funny.

When I bought the Harley, I did so without telling my wife.

The weekend before it was to be delivered, a couple buddies and I flew to Vegas for the weekend to gamble and take in the Nascar race.

We were on the plane Sunday evening to return home and was just about to leave the gate when I noticed they were UNloading baggage. WTF! Then the pilot said that the flight is cancelled because of a SNOW storm at Chicago. They also told us that there would not be another flight available for a week, on any airline! I couldn't believe it, but they were right about not being able to get a flight.

If you have to get snowed in, Vegas isn't so bad though. :party:

So here I am SNOWED in at Vegas with the Harley being delivered on Wednsday. The one my wife doesn't know about!

So I call my wife and tell her I'm snowed in at Vegas. That went over real well. :fan:

Then I had to tell her that there was not a flight available for a week. That went over even better. :fan::fan:

Then I had to tell her that there would be a couple guys delivering a package on Wednsday and to just have them put it in the garage.

She said what is the package? Under my breath I muttered the Fatboy. THE WHAT! :rant:

It was a good thing I couldn't get home for a week. Gave her time to settle down. :wacko:

Still married though after 31 years.

Now THAT is a funny story.

We've been married 28 years, though I am not sure I would have made it through your episode! :hysterical:

Archived