TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Mustang spawns Challenger & Camaro

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/S...20News/1570018/

Last I heard was that Dodge was bringing the V6 version of the Challenger online dead last;

1st - SRT8

2nd - R/T

3rd - SE (V6); around the end of 2008

I kinda think that there isn't enough market for 3 pony cars long term and that the V6 engine will determine which survives. The V8 gets the lions share of press and forum talk but come on Ford get your best performance/economy V6 in the 2010 Mustang otherwise I gotta think sales could tank with 2 other competing segment cars. It would be a sad day to see the Stang trailing the other 2 in sales in a couple of years. :cry:

I think if anything the challenger and camero might take a lot away from mustang sales in the first year or two, but in the long run mustang will out last them.

Mustang is the only one that has gone the distance over the past 45 years while all the others have disappeared. Bringing out the retro look of older muscle cars will have an intitial impact with lots of buyers loving the retro look and the fact camero and challenger has been off the market for years, but at the end of the day those will eventually disappear again and mustang will still be around.

The mustang is just to big of a market to die off. The only thing that could kill it is Ford coming out with a lousy design no one likes.

:happy feet: LONG LIVE THE MUSTANG! :happy feet:

The high powered versions will hit the streets first mainly because of the market tht is NOW there.I don't believe that the relese of the V6 would have caused such a stir,Or made them any new customers as quickly as the SRT8 will.The Challlenger screams performance not economy.Down the road the V6 will hopefully for them carry the sales numbers if the fuel economy is there.Chrysler is notorious for not living up to the window sticker ratings so I guess we'll see.Competition strengthens the breed.

Well, since somewhere in 1963, there's been a Mustang being built in some factory somewhere, and being sold at some dealer somewhere. They seem to be pretty popular some 40 years later.

All magazine articles and personal preferences aside, how well, exactly, has any other model stood the test of time?

The one thing we've all got (and by "we", I mean all Mustang owners), is that we know that we're not driving copycat cars.

Who is the "Challenger" challenging? Are they challenging the Camaro? Oops, I guess not, nothin' there to challenge.

The whole genre are called "Pony" cars.

The only thing that could kill it is Ford coming out with a lousy design no one likes.

:happy feet: LONG LIVE THE MUSTANG! :happy feet:

Wrong....I hate to disagree with you SD but they did that in the mid 70's called the Mustang II and the Mustang still survived. The only one that would kill the Mustang is if they Ford kills it by not making any more. Oh yeah...they tried that one in the 80's.

OK, bad design in the 70's and trying to kill it in the 80's. These ponies aren't going to die.

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/S...20News/1570018/

Last I heard was that Dodge was bringing the V6 version of the Challenger online dead last;

1st - SRT8

2nd - R/T

3rd - SE (V6); around the end of 2008

I kinda think that there isn't enough market for 3 pony cars long term and that the V6 engine will determine which survives. The V8 gets the lions share of press and forum talk but come on Ford get your best performance/economy V6 in the 2010 Mustang otherwise I gotta think sales could tank with 2 other competing segment cars. It would be a sad day to see the Stang trailing the other 2 in sales in a couple of years. :cry:

There's an awful lot of gear heads out here. The more the merrier!

:happy feet:

I agree it's very unlikely that the Mustang would be killed off; it would take years if ever. However what happens to the "special" edition Mustangs if the core product (i.e. the V6) declines substantially. I'm thinking that the Ford built "special" editions dry up along with the V6 sales. Foose, Saleen, etc still keep buiding them probably, but maybe no Ford built Boss, Shelby, Bullitt, KR, Mach etc.

Guess I'm saying I always focus on the factory top dog car but now that Mustang has some direct competition I realize I need the V6 edition to kick some competition ass in the HP/mileage department so I can have a top dog edition Mustang to drool over.

Competition = risk

more risk allows for higher highs (product improvement) and lower lows (product decline and extinction)

The only thing that could kill it is Ford coming out with a lousy design no one likes.

Hmmmmm .... what if the competition's V6 gets more HP AND 20% better gas mileage. I agree with you that styling is super important for this car segment but in this day of $4 per gallon gas I'm thinking that styling, HP and now gas mileage are all potential deal breakers for the buyer ( of course $$ cost is always important, of which I think Mustang will have the advantage for the foreseeable future). This is what the Eco-Boost technology is all about right? Keep your HP but get good gas mileage relatively speaking

The one thing we've all got (and by "we", I mean all Mustang owners), is that we know that we're not driving copycat cars.

Amen to that! Like the article said, GM & Chrysler don't like acknowledging that in this car genre they are following in Ford's footsteps ..... again :bowdown:

The only one that would kill the Mustang is if they Ford kills it by not making any more. Oh yeah...they tried that one in the 80's.

Yep, I remember that. I believe it was the Ford Probe that was being designed to replace the Mustang. :idea:

Archived