TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Turn signal mirror

Someone recently mentioned installing a turn signal outside mirror. I could not find it on a search. Please list the link again and any problems with install, time to install etc. Thank you

Contact member "LuLu." His e-mail is listed in his member profile. He has them on his car and I believe it was he who posted that to which you refer. Jim

There is also another brand that has an amber or red arrow in the mirror itself. But it did not have the forward facing blinker lights. The one at BOI looks nicer.

The Muth Mirror...Check here?

http://www.kwmuth.com/

I had the Muth signal mirrors on other cars and they are cool. But, I wanted visibility for the traffic coming towards me. The SGT sits 1 1/2 inches lower, and the OEM turn signal is down on the ground at close range. I want other drivers to know what my intentions are, and the BOI kit also blinks to the side, so those next to me also know my intentions.

The Muth Mirror...Check here?

http://www.kwmuth.com/

I had the Muth signal mirrors on other cars and they are cool. But, I wanted visibility for the traffic coming towards me. The SGT sits 1 1/2 inches lower, and the OEM turn signal is down on the ground at close range. I want other drivers to know what my intentions are, and the BOI kit also blinks to the side, so those next to me also know my intentions.

LuLu, tell me about the installation. How did you remove the old mirrors and splicing the wiring,etc. How long did it take for both mirrors? Thanks.

The mirrors from BOI are a bear to install because there is no place to tap into on the driver side, but worth it, in my opinion. They can be wired to come on just with the turn signal or to come on with both the brake lights and the turn signal.

The mirrors from BOI are a bear to install because there is no place to tap into on the driver side, but worth it, in my opinion. They can be wired to come on just with the turn signal or to come on with both the brake lights and the turn signal.

How did you overcome the mounting of the driver side mirror?

LuLu, is your turn signal mirror from Blue Oval or CDC and is there any difference? Also I noticed you have the LED 3rd brake light. Is that a clear or smoked lens?

Blue Oval Industries (BOI) is a parts reseller, they are not manfacturers. The mirrors are made by CDC. My third brake light is a clear lense with red LEDs.

If someone is trying to decide on them I can vouch for LuLu's selections saying they look VERY good. I was in front of him in our caravan back from Shelbyfest and they are highly visible and just look really cool. I had asked him about install and he made it sound fairly simple and straightforward.

LuLu, can you give instructions on the removal of the old mirrors and the installation of the new mirrors, including electirical connections? Thank you

I did this last year, and I don't remember all the steps I took, because I installed the interior RV mirror at the same time. I also had a Ford wrench helping me with the electrical, and I could follow his directions, but I don't remember much today. My Big Red Books are bound, but someone here (I think) has a DVD based set that prints .pdf images. Maybe someone can help out?

The instructions on R&R of the mirrors is in section 501-09-18/19 and 20 of the Big Red Book 1. You will have to remove the sail panels on the inside of the mirror, and then 3 nuts to remove the mirror from the door. The driver's side also contains the remote control switch, and that unplugs from the harness. You will have to create and install a wiring harness. The mirrors come with 6-7 inch pigtails for ground and power. I used red wire for the left signal, and blue wire for the right.

R&R of the door panels for access to the OEM wire harness is explained in section 501-05-7 of book 1.

For electrical connections, I recall running lines to the Bussed Electrical Center (BEC) and tapping into existing wires there, rather than at the signal lamps themselves (option). Circuit A-1 is left front signal lamp, and B-6 is the right front. This is covered in section 13-14 of the wiring diagram book.

Evaluating complexity is contigent on your personal skill and patience. I'm rather particular about running wires through a car, so, I am prolly my own worst enemy. If you feel this is a challenge, I suggest a trim shop, alarm/audio installer, or the dealership. It's not difficult for those who do it everyday.

I know this isn't much help, but it's a start.

Archived