TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Strange sounds. Normal or not??

I have a few odd noises, and have had them all since I picked up the car with 4 miles on it. 235 miles on it today, and the sounds persist.

1) Squeaking. I only hear this with the windows down, in a quiet area as it is not "loud", although I did hear it today... the sound was bouncing off a nearby curb so it may be getting louder. Comes from passenger side, under the car.

I thought maybe it was the suspension as the sound ONLY comes when going over rougher surfaces... but if you push in the clutch pedal, the sound goes away immediately. It starts again when clutch is let out and you're in gear. It is only when you're BARELY on the throttle, such as going through a small parking lot (where I first heard it).

2) Hissing. When depressing the clutch at a standstill, and/or releasing it I hear a hissing sort of like a small leaky airhose. It hisses for a split second then stops.

3) Not a sound, but a smell. I smell a bit of clutch all the time after I exit the car. For the first day I shrugged it off as being normal break in on new equipment, but after 2 days and 235 miles, shouldn't this be gone?

I have not heard any squeaking noises out of mine. I can tell you the clutch noise is normal, mine does the same thing with 600 miles on mine. If you look in the supplement book for the Shelby it lists noises from the clutch are normal. As far as the smell 200 miles there are still things burning off I would say it is normal.

The hiss is normal as you are letting out the clutch. This is the snake.

If it's hissing with the clutch pedal fully depressed, it's a pissed off snake, and you need to find out why.

The squeak sounds like an issue that Grabber had to contend with. Check this out http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=413217

and don't panic, it has a moderately happy ending.

Can't speak much to the smell, unless the snake is hissing with the pedal fully depressed, in which case the whole mess may be related - as in your clutch is not fully disengaging, and it's time to see the dealer NOW.

I have a few odd noises, and have had them all since I picked up the car with 4 miles on it. 235 miles on it today, and the sounds persist.

1) Squeaking. I only hear this with the windows down, in a quiet area as it is not "loud", although I did hear it today... the sound was bouncing off a nearby curb so it may be getting louder. Comes from passenger side, under the car.

I thought maybe it was the suspension as the sound ONLY comes when going over rougher surfaces... but if you push in the clutch pedal, the sound goes away immediately. It starts again when clutch is let out and you're in gear. It is only when you're BARELY on the throttle, such as going through a small parking lot (where I first heard it).

2) Hissing. When depressing the clutch at a standstill, and/or releasing it I hear a hissing sort of like a small leaky airhose. It hisses for a split second then stops.

3) Not a sound, but a smell. I smell a bit of clutch all the time after I exit the car. For the first day I shrugged it off as being normal break in on new equipment, but after 2 days and 235 miles, shouldn't this be gone?

20122 2007-2008 MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 - HISS NOISE FROM CLUTCH

SOME 2007-2008 MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 5.4L MAN TRANS VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A "HISS" NOISE FROM THE DRIVELINE DURING CLUTCH ENGAGEMENT. THE "HISS" IS NORMAL WHILE RELEASING THE CLUTCH PEDAL TO SET THE VEHICLE IN MOTION, SUCH AS 1ST AND/OR REVERSE GEARS. THIS A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC CAUSED WHEN THE CERAMETALIC CLUTCH LINING CONTACTS THE PRESSURE PLATE AND FLYWHEEL METAL SURFACES. THE NOISE HAS NO EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OR DURABILITY OF THE VEHICLE. IF "HISS" IS WHILE DEPRESSING THE CLUTCH PEDAL, SELECTING A GEAR, OR SITTING STILL WITH THE CLUTCH FULLY DEPRESSED; THIS IS NOT NORMAL AND IS INDICATIVE OF CLUTCH DRAG. FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP MANUAL PROCEDURES TO FURTHER DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE.

=======================================

19922 2007-2008 MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 - CLUTCH CHATTER

SOME 2007 - 2008 SHELBY GT500 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A "CLUTCH CHATTER" DURING INITIAL TAKE-OFF OF THE VEHICLE WHEN THE TRANSMISSION IS HOT. THE CLUTCH CHATTER MAY BE PRESENT IN 1ST AND/OR REVERSE GEARS AND IS CONSIDERED A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC CAUSED BY THE CERAMETALIC CLUTCH LINING. THE CLUTCH CHATTER HAS NO EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OR DURABILITY OF THE VEHICLE. COMPARE TO A LIKE UNIT. IF THE SYMPTOM IS EXCESSIVE COMPARED TO A LIKE UNIT, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP MANUAL PROCEDURES TO FURTHER DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE.

19921 2007 - 2008 MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 - GEAR RATTLE IN 1ST AND 2ND GEAR.

SOME 2007 - 2008 SHELBY GT500 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A "GEAR RATTLE" NOISE FROM THE DRIVELINE IN 1ST AND 2ND GEAR UNDER LIGHT ACCELERATION. THE NOISE IS ONLY PRESENT IN 1ST AND 2ND GEAR AND IS CONSIDERED A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC CAUSED BY THE CONTACT PATTERN OF THESE GEARS. THE GEAR RATTLE NOISE HAS NO EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OR DURABILITY OF THE VEHICLE. COMPARE TO A LIKE UNIT. IF THE SYMPTOM IS EXCESSIVE COMPARED TO A LIKE UNIT, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP MANUAL PROCEDURES TO FURTHER DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE.

19923 2005-2008 - MUSTANG MANUAL TRANSMISSION GEAR ROLLOVER NOISE

ALL 2005-2008 MUSTANGS WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A LIGHT GEAR ROLLOVER NOISE WHILE THE CLUTCH IS ENGAGED AND THE TRANSMISSION IS IN NEUTRAL. GEAR ROLLOVER NOISE IS A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC UNDER THESE CONDITIONS. IF THE NOISE IS BELIEVED TO BE ABNORMALLY LOUD, PLEASE COMPARE TO A LIKE UNIT BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY REPAIR. REFER TO WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 308 FOR ADDITIONAL MANUAL TRANSMISSION DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION

2005-2008 MUSTANG - RATTLE/BUZZ/VIBRATION - TRANSMISSION CROSS-MEMBER EXHAUST MOUNT - BUILT BEFORE 12/3/2007

SOME 2005-2008 MUSTANG VEHICLES, BUILT BEFORE 12/3/2007, MAY EXHIBIT A CONCERN WITH RATTLE/BUZZ/VIBRATION FROM EITHER THE CENTER STACK (RADIO/HEATER) CONSOLE, STEERING WHEEL, SEAT, FLOORPAN, AND/OR GEARSHIFT AREA. FOLLOW THE SERVICE PROCEDURE STEPS TO CORRECT THE CONDITION.

Okay, so it's not really a snake. Spoil Sport.

The point is, hissing is normal only during the RELEASE of the clutch. Perfectly normal.

If it hisses with the clutch pedal fully depressed, the clutch is slipping when it ain't supposed to. That would cause the smell, and also cause premature clutch failure.

The moral of Grabber's story is that there may be a problem (such as air) in the hydraulic clutch, which would cause the TO/Release/CS<watever> bearing to squeak, the hiss to occur (with the pedal fully depressed) and the smell (of slipping clutch).

Granted, these guys make interesting noises, yes. They don't make interesting smells.

Link to the clutch thread.

It's possible when the clutch is new (full thickness) that the smell is it dragging slightly -- i.e. not fully disengaging as others have eluded to. After it wears a bit the smell may go away but it likely still has the problem if a slight hiss continues when the clutch is fully depresed to the floor.

Dan

WOW... excellent replies, and I thank you all for them!!

So no worries on the hissing... check.

No worries on the clattering in 1st gear... check.

BUT

I had forgotten one noise, and I was reminded as I drove it again tonight...

When driving fairly aggressively:

In each shift I am hearing what I thought at first was the rear tires barking. In 1st, 2nd, 3rd ... never bothered because they tires always either chirp or scream... but shifting from 3rd to 4th I hear what almost sounds like the tires chirping, but it is not. It also almost sounds like a belt slipping for a split-second as the car slams into gear. I'm wondering if I have any kind of issue with the clutch? Maybe the clutch is slipping?

With 2K miles mine makes a faint "moaning" sound from the front when rolling slowly and turning - as in turning off the street into my driveway. Seems to do it when turning right or left whether brakes are applied not, although maybe less noticeable when brakes are applied while slowly turning. Definitely coming from the front of the car - PS fluid and all other fluid levels are normal. The car doesn't pull to either side side when coasting or braking & there is no sign of abnormal tire wear.

Any thoughts?

With 2K miles mine makes a faint "moaning" sound from the front when rolling slowly and turning - as in turning off the street into my driveway. Seems to do it when turning right or left whether brakes are applied not, although maybe less noticeable when brakes are applied while slowly turning. Definitely coming from the front of the car - PS fluid and all other fluid levels are normal. The car doesn't pull to either side side when coasting or braking & there is no sign of abnormal tire wear.

Any thoughts?

yea bring it over and i will TEST drive it for a few days :hysterical:

Any thoughts?

I bet is coming from the rear axle even though you think it is coming from the front.

2005-2007 MUSTANG GT - 8.8 LIMITED SLIP AXLE MOAN/GROAN NOISE DURING LOW SPEED TURNING MANEUVERS

SOME 2005-2007 MUSTANG GT VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE 8.8 INCH LIMITED SLIP AXLE MAY EXHIBIT A MOAN/GROAN NOISE WHEN MAKING TIGHT LOW SPEED TURNS. THIS MAY BE MORE NOTICEABLE WHEN THE AXLE IS AT FULL OPERATING TEMPERATURE. THE NOISE MAY ALSO BE CONFUSED AS ORIGINATING FROM THE BRAKES OR STEERING SYSTEM. FOLLOW THE SERVICE PROCEDURE STEPS TO CORRECT THE CONDITION.

See TSB for complete details

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

First, verify the concern.

Make sure the axle is at full operating temperature.

Perform several full lock turns at low speeds in both directions.

If the noise is verified to be in the rear axle, proceed to Step 2.

If the concern can not be verified or the noise is not coming from the rear axle assembly, do not continue with this TSB and follow normal diagnostics in the Workshop Manual (WSM).

For vehicles built before 10/22/2006, replace the limited slip clutch pack. Install the new limited slip clutch pack kit following the procedures in the Mustang WSM, Section 205-02B (Differential Carrier Removal and Differential Case/Ring Gear Disassembly).

Vehicles built after 10/22/2006 were built with the new limited slip clutch pack. For these vehicles, add 1 bottle of Motorcraft® Additive Friction Modifier to the axle. Perform several full lock turns at low speeds in both directions to force the lubricant into the limited slip clutch pack.

NOTE: DO NOT INSTALL NEW LIMITED SLIP CLUTCH PACKS IN VEHICLES BUILT AFTER 10/22/2006.

Thanks SD! I'll bet you hit the nail on the head as those are exactly the conditions under which I hear the noise. I'll pick up a bottle of friction modifier at the dealer on Monday & try that.

:)

I bet is coming from the rear axle even though you think it is coming from the front.

2005-2007 MUSTANG GT - 8.8 LIMITED SLIP AXLE MOAN/GROAN NOISE DURING LOW SPEED TURNING MANEUVERS

SOME 2005-2007 MUSTANG GT VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE 8.8 INCH LIMITED SLIP AXLE MAY EXHIBIT A MOAN/GROAN NOISE WHEN MAKING TIGHT LOW SPEED TURNS. THIS MAY BE MORE NOTICEABLE WHEN THE AXLE IS AT FULL OPERATING TEMPERATURE. THE NOISE MAY ALSO BE CONFUSED AS ORIGINATING FROM THE BRAKES OR STEERING SYSTEM. FOLLOW THE SERVICE PROCEDURE STEPS TO CORRECT THE CONDITION.

ACTION:

SERVICE PROCEDURE

If the concern can not be verified or the noise is not coming from the rear axle assembly, do not continue with this TSB and follow normal diagnostics in the Workshop Manual (WSM).

For vehicles built before 10/22/2006, replace the limited slip clutch pack. Install the new limited slip clutch pack kit following the procedures in the Mustang WSM, Section 205-02B (Differential Carrier Removal and Differential Case/Ring Gear Disassembly).

Vehicles built after 10/22/2006 were built with the new limited slip clutch pack. For these vehicles, add 1 bottle of Motorcraft® Additive Friction Modifier to the axle. Perform several full lock turns at low speeds in both directions to force the lubricant into the limited slip clutch pack.

NOTE: DO NOT INSTALL NEW LIMITED SLIP CLUTCH PACKS IN VEHICLES BUILT AFTER 10/22/2006.

How about a "whirring" noise from the TO bearing/clutch area at idle????.....goes away when the clutch is depressed.....

I have been playing the radio too loud or had the top down the last 2 weeks! Never heard it then!

When driving with the top up[, and radio off a couple of days ago, it was quite noticable at idle....

ACTION:

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Just took mine in for the third attempt to fix a rattle in the drivers door & asked them to add a bottle of friction modifier per the above TSB. The SM insisted that the fix involved replacing the clutch packs. Fortunately I had printed out the above TSB note - I pointed out that the TSB specifically says not to replace the clutch packs for this as mine was built in Feb 08. I told him to just add the friction modifier - going to pick it up at noon so will see if that takes care of it.

Looks like the third time was the charm to fix the door rattle. After replacing both door speakers and the entire door panel the noise is finally gone. Apparently there is a TSB on the window switch bezel causing a rattle, but maybe mine was something else?

Also, the moaning/groaning noise I had under low speed turns was fixed with just a bottle of friction modifier - YAY! Thanks again for the tip Shelby Dude!

Hopefully I'm done with dealer service for a while. :whew:

BTW - they wanted $470 labor alone to install the FRPP lowering springs. I'll definitely tackle that myself to save that many clams!

Looks like the third time was the charm to fix the door rattle. After replacing both door speakers and the entire door panel the noise is finally gone. Apparently there is a TSB on the window switch bezel causing a rattle, but maybe mine was something else?

Also, the moaning/groaning noise I had under low speed turns was fixed with just a bottle of friction modifier - YAY! Thanks again for the tip Shelby Dude!

BTW - they wanted $470 labor alone to install the FRPP lowering springs. I'll definitely tackle that myself to save that many clams!

I own a Franchised Quick Lube store Oil Can Henry's , and this is a common issue with many Ford products.....The fluid we use actually comes from Pennzoil with the additive packs to more than quantify the Ford OEM requirements.....but many times we have to add a LTD Slip addiitive to get the low speed chatter to go away.....

We were told by Pennzoil Tech Services that it has to do with mfg. tolerances....

I am still greatly bothered that my $50,000 Shelby squeaks like a shot-out suspension of a 1976 Pinto... it is embarrassing and I find it impossible to believe that this is a normal sound.

I will be taking it into my dealer next week for a look. I hope it gets remedied in one visit because I cannot live with the sound (I can even hear it in 6th gear going down the highway), and I cannot stand to be without my car for more than a quick visit.

• 1 month later...

BUT

In each shift I am hearing what I thought at first was the rear tires barking. In 1st, 2nd, 3rd ... never bothered because they tires always either chirp or scream... but shifting from 3rd to 4th I hear what almost sounds like the tires chirping, but it is not. It also almost sounds like a belt slipping for a split-second as the car slams into gear. I'm wondering if I have any kind of issue with the clutch? Maybe the clutch is slipping?

BanditSRT8,

Did you ever figure out what was making this chirping or squealing noise during the shifts. I have the same issue with only 540 miles on the car. Thanks for your reply.

• 1 year later...

BUT

Has anyone ever figured out what this noise is? I have the same noise, sounds like a belt slipping when releasing clutch in low gears under aggressive conditions? My 2008 has 2k miles.

Perhaps related to this issue, when I had dealer install 540 horse package and reprogram PCM, I seem to have lost traction. Could traction control system make these noises?

I got tired of the axle moan also. Added a bottle of FM and worked like a charm.

BUT

• 1 month later...

BanditSRT8,

Did you ever figure out what was making this chirping or squealing noise during the shifts. I have the same issue with only 540 miles on the car. Thanks for your reply.

+1. I started a new thread because I hadn't searched long or hard enough I guess to find this one. For that I apologize. But, do we have an answer to this? Hobdybob, you mention the blower bypass making noise. Is this noise/problem common? Is it something you live with, you know, nature of the beast so to speak or is there a fix?

• 2 weeks later...

I also get a chirp like sound when I get on it . Sounds like a slipping belt. Only happens once and a while.

I took mine to dealer for this "belt slipping" noise and was told it was the blower (bypass?) value releasing pressure (or closing to build pressure...I don't recall). In any event I was concerned about the clutch slipping, and after a thorough test drive, the service manager, who I've come to know real well, assured me it was not the clutch. He was going to run it by a buddy of his who works for SVT. I'll let you know if anything interesting comes of it.

I have had the "chrip" pre and post TSB. Do you hear it more with the windows open? I do. I believe its the SC belt.

I have noticed what I thought was a "hot clutch" smell after pulling up to a stop light. I don't notice it all the time.

Archived