TEAM SHELBY FORUM

373 gears

I'm scheduled to send my GT500 for the 40TH aniversary package and not sure about changing to the 373 gear with the725hp upgrade. Can someong give me any advice on this who went wiyh 373 gears?

I did. I love it. You will run out of first gear pretty quick with your 725.

I'm scheduled to send my GT500 for the 40TH aniversary package and not sure about changing to the 373 gear with the725hp upgrade. Can someong give me any advice on this who went wiyh 373 gears?

I'm very happy with my 373s. That said, with the power you are going to have I'm not sure you need them. Even with my stock power, I end up at the rev limit really quickly in 1st.

I'm very happy with my 373s. That said, with the power you are going to have I'm not sure you need them. Even with my stock power, I end up at the rev limit really quickly in 1st.

+1 I'm pushing 600 rwhp with 3.73 gears and 1st gear is pretty much useless.

Well, I've got into this with some owners on other owner forums. :slapfight: I had 4:10's installed before I took delivery so I don't have what you might call a base line for comparison. But, I fail to see the advantages of keeping on increasing horsepower and going to a higher gear because you are shifting so soon. I think it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are what I call a casual driver and are not worried about et's but more interested in just being able to say "I have 700 hp", then the lower gears are not for you. Look at it this way. I have heard several owners say 1st gear is useless with the addtional hp they have becasue they have to shift so soon. Keep increasing your hp and soon they will be saying 2nd gear is useless. Ever notice that the Evolution GT500 swithched to an automatic? When I hit it hard, I get maybe a thousand and one count if that much and its time to shift out of 1st. But, I got the rpm's up where they need to be in the shortest amount of time. Go to strip and watch some of the fast cars. If you want to run in the 11's or even the 10's, you are going to be banging all the gears super quick.

Only have 683rwhp in the coupe for now and I really like the 3:73's, I have been driving my vert for the last 2 weeks...(supercharger not done) and really miss the 3:73's, I didn't think I would until I drove both back to back in a short period of time. Vert has Evo stage 2.

:shift: this gear thing seems like an everlasting problem and it is in my mind related to the driver and horsepower- another and the big issue is it is a stick shift gt 500 and that brings the shift skill level into play with the gears- also the launch if you are at the track makes a hughe differeance in our stick shift cars- do we launch hard or medium hard or ease out- each has its advantages and disadvatages- I have 373s and a the evol. stage one and drag radials and my best time was in the 331s- in my mind it is that I do not handle the shiting technique as well as others and do not react to the quickness of the 373s- also the extra shift to fourth and hitting the shift points on the money- the 331s sent me through the trap in third and are more in my mind easier to handle- if we had automatics the discussion would be less complicated- I like the 373s but my shifting and reaction times are handled better on the stock gears- Having a car that runs in the mid twelves with a one in five time low twelve tells me it is my skill level and the stock gears give me a little more room for reaction- one less shift and one less shift light to hit on the money. Will I give up on the 373s I guess it depends on how important 2 or 3 tenths for an et. My car seems to like the 373s but somewhere between the starting line and the finish line the gears do not play out- strongly believe it is the driver in my case. The track is a place to test the issue and on the street for fun and safe driving the 373s win out 100 percent as I do not street race but like to bounce around through the gears- gab gab gab sorry I yak too much rs

Is it much work (i.e. problem) to swap back to the 3.31's if the 3.73's are installed with the conversion? After reading this thread, I paid more attention to how I was shifting, and how long in 1st, while driving on the weekend. Because I opted for the 3.73 gears on the 40th conversion. I do intend on driving the car as much as I can during the summer, which includes some commuting. Mostly highway, but there are times when driving through town, less shifting would be nice...

Guy's

I took the GT500 to the strip this weekend. Had a lot of fun. Car is just as it came off the showroom floor. 13.4 was the best time, what have you others found you could do? I was so slow off the line, lots of wheel spin, good for pictures. What have you found that helps this problem?

Thanks, Mike

Guy's

I took the GT500 to the strip this weekend. Had a lot of fun. Car is just as it came off the showroom floor. 13.4 was the best time, what have you others found you could do? I was so slow off the line, lots of wheel spin, good for pictures. What have you found that helps this problem?

Thanks, Mike

you cannot have a true racecar and street car' the best help for this car is drag radials and mods- if your wise leave it alone but that would not be much fun would it- once the mods start welcome to the forrum

Guy's

Thanks, Mike

Ran 12.586 stock, bogging it off the line. Now with all my mods I haven't been back yet. Installing TVS and MT's next week, and have a trip planned June 7th. Hope to be in the low 11s but we shall see.

I got my 3.73's installed today and love them! of course, I'm not doing any blower upgrades like some people. I'm just going with the JLT CAI and tune (pulley later). From everything I hear, 1st gear will go pretty fast with this upgrade alone. I would imagine with a blower upgrade it would be almost useless for street use.

Is anyone running 3.55 gears? Would it be enough of a difference to notice?

Is 3.60 a possibility?

Any comments?

3.55 is just between stock 3.31 and 3.73 but for the money spent on the gears and install, it's not worth it for the little bit of a jump. to me 3.73 are perfect for this car/it's weight. There is no more clutch chatter, car leaves the lights so much easier too............so the driveability alone is worth the change....and it's just enough of a jump to be noticeable and put a smile on your face. Also there is no 3.60 gear.

I'm thinking of making the jump to 3.55's. That, along with a CAI, Pulley, Ported blower, and tune. I want to retain the "stock" look as much as possible but gain as much from the mods for street use only. I know it may not be cost effective as going to 3.73's and a different blower but......i just want a basic sleeper GT-500 (if there is even one...lol)

Archived