TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SUPER SNAKE STRIPES

I KNOW I SAW SOME DISCUSSION ON THIS BUT I CAN'T FIND IT. WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THE FLAT BLACK STRIPES AS FAR AS WAXING AND POLISHING GOES.

THANK YOU

BOB

BOB I ASKED SON OF GT (ENIS) THIS SAME QUESTION. I HAVE HAD 69 MACH 1s WITH FLAT BLACK THAT YOU DO NOT WAX.

SON OF GT SAID THE NEW STRIPES CAN BE WAXED AND IT DOES NOT HURT THEM. I HAVE SPRAYED QUICK DETAILER ON MINE AND IT HAS NOT EFFECTED THE FLAT AT ALL.

SO TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION I DONT THINK WAXING THE STRIPES WILL HURT THEM AT ALL. ENIS ALSO TOLD ME TO PUT SOME UV PROTECTION ON THEM. THE SUN IS GOING TO DO THE MOST DAMAGE TO THE VINYL STRIPES.

michael morris

Waxing the FB stripes is just fine. Some here don't believe me, but that's their choice. If you are concerned with my response, then I recommend contacting Bud at SAI and he'll tell you the same.

Just make sure that the wax you use has some UV protection in it, and if it doesn't, then you should also use some vinyl UV protectant on the stripes such as AEROSPACE PROTECTANT 303 or PLEXUS. Both products have their own websites for more information.

If you have ever seen a FB stripe from a car built in the sixties, seventies, or even the eighties and the FB has turned ashy or a grayish color, that's because the owner had washed the car with household detergent and never used proper UV protection on the stripes.

I have waxed my FB stripes at least three times since I got the car back, and they have not changed one iota since I have.

Hope this helps.

Waxing the FB stripes is just fine. Some here don't believe me, but that's their choice. If you are concerned with my response, then I recommend contacting Bud at SAI and he'll tell you the same.

Just make sure that the wax you use has some UV protection in it, and if it doesn't, then you should also use some vinyl UV protectant on the stripes such as AEROSPACE PROTECTANT 303 or PLEXUS. Both products have their own websites for more information.

If you have ever seen a FB stripe from a car built in the sixties, seventies, or even the eighties and the FB has turned ashy or a grayish color, that's because the owner had washed the car with household detergent and never used proper UV protection on the stripes.

I have waxed my FB stripes at least three times since I got the car back, and they have not changed one iota since I have.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info.....good to know..

Hope this helps.

SGT, you said you use a wax with UV protection....what's the name of that wax?

SGT, you said you use a wax with UV protection....what's the name of that wax?

Coppertone. :hysterical: JUST KIDDING!

SMART wax. Pink stuff. I don't know if it's only a regionally available retail product or not, but they do have a website that you can order from. www.smartwax.com The wax contains a UV protection level of 40, so not only will it protect your stripes from UV damage, it will also protect the car from getting a sunburn too. :hysterical:

THANKS GUYS FOR THE INFO ON THE FLAT BLACK STRIPS--I'VE ONLY HAD THE CAR FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS AND I'VE WASHED IT AND STARTED THE CLEANER, SEALER AND WAX THING BUT I'VE BEEN AVOIDING THE STRIPS WHICH IS HARD TO DO.

AND--DO YOU GUYS USE ANYTHING SPECIAL ON THOSE WHEELS. THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL AND I WANT TO KEEP THEM THAT WAY AND BOY ARE THEY DUST MAGNETS.

WHEN I HAD MY 66 GT350 I NEVER REALIZED---IT WAS A LONG TIME AGO--THAT SHELBY WAS SUCH A BONDING THING FOR PEOPLE FROM ALL WALKS OF LIFE AND ALL OVER THE WORLD. IT'S GOOD TO BELONG

BOB

I second that,

it's great to here what you guys think and talk about Shelby and the mustang

I have been told my car may be ready to pick up next week! YEEEEEEEE -HAAAAAAA

I have been told my car may be ready to pick up next week! YEEEEEEEE -HAAAAAAA

Rub it in! Rub it in! :banghead:;)

As for Shelby Club - yep, it is good fun and makes waiting for the SS easier.

Hodger, as we said, we'll have to get the 3 UK snakes together for a pub lunch once all are in the country! :happy feet:

Rub it in! Rub it in! :banghead:;)

As for Shelby Club - yep, it is good fun and makes waiting for the SS easier.

Hodger, as we said, we'll have to get the 3 UK snakes together for a pub lunch once all are in the country! :happy feet:

Sorry Simon not rubbing it in just excited about the call !!!!! :happy feet:

As for the pub lunch I am up for that

Isn't there a famous cafe outside of London that has weekly car gatherings? I remember seeing a show here is the States about it. Lots of motorcycles and hot rods go there. I can't remember the name of the place, but it looked like a cool place to hang out and eat.

THANKS GUYS FOR THE INFO ON THE FLAT BLACK STRIPS--I'VE ONLY HAD THE CAR FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS AND I'VE WASHED IT AND STARTED THE CLEANER, SEALER AND WAX THING BUT I'VE BEEN AVOIDING THE STRIPS WHICH IS HARD TO DO.

AND--DO YOU GUYS USE ANYTHING SPECIAL ON THOSE WHEELS. THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL AND I WANT TO KEEP THEM THAT WAY AND BOY ARE THEY DUST MAGNETS.

WHEN I HAD MY 66 GT350 I NEVER REALIZED---IT WAS A LONG TIME AGO--THAT SHELBY WAS SUCH A BONDING THING FOR PEOPLE FROM ALL WALKS OF LIFE AND ALL OVER THE WORLD. IT'S GOOD TO BELONG

BOB

Sorry Bob, anyway you cut it, anyway you slice it, wheel cleaning is a royal pain in the ass. Waxing them and such never works because the wheels get so hot, the wax breaks down and you would have to re-wax them after everytime you drove the car. Smartwax does have a wheel product; you can see it on their website, but I haven't used it and do not know how effective it is.

Elbow grease and a strong stream of water is all I can recommend to keep those suckers clean. I also use a non-ammonia based window cleaner and paper towels after and in between washings to get them sparkling, and that works very well. I buy the stuff at Costco; Sprayaway is the brand, and it's wonderful stuff for both the glass and the wheels.

Isn't there a famous cafe outside of London that has weekly car gatherings? I remember seeing a show here is the States about it. Lots of motorcycles and hot rods go there. I can't remember the name of the place, but it looked like a cool place to hang out and eat.

Maybe simon can answer that one he lives just outside London

I live in the southwest of England about three hours away

But I'am sure we will find a nice pub to talk about our cars

Maybe simon can answer that one he lives just outside London

I live in the southwest of England about three hours away

But I'am sure we will find a nice pub to talk about our cars

The Ace Cafe is probably the one you're thinking of SoGT - it has a lot of history. They do some pretty interesting car meets there (the US night is a HUGE one!)

Hodger, I think we'll head down towards you - less traffic on the roads and nicer pubs! :beerchug:

The Ace Cafe is probably the one you're thinking of SoGT - it has a lot of history. They do some pretty interesting car meets there (the US night is a HUGE one!)

Hodger, I think we'll head down towards you - less traffic on the roads and nicer pubs! :beerchug:

Yes, that's it. As I stated before, it does look like a cool place to hang out and have a pint or two at. If you go, please take a picture or two of your car(s) in front of the cafe and post them here.

Hey, I have another question for one or all of you...

As I have mentioned here before, I do love watching "Top Gear" over here on BBC America. While I "get" an enjoy the hell out of the show's humor, I would love to get an American equivalant to the word "Pillok" as in "you are such a stupid Pillok". I don't know if I'm spelling the word correctly or not, and I get that it's an insult, but I just can't figure out of Pillok is a creature (animal, fish), or if it's just another way to say "retarded". Please PM me if you can't post the defination openly without being cheeky to the other members here. Thanks!!

• 7 months later...
As I have mentioned here before, I do love watching "Top Gear" over here on BBC America. While I "get" an enjoy the hell out of the show's humor, I would love to get an American equivalant to the word "Pillok" as in "you are such a stupid Pillok". I don't know if I'm spelling the word correctly or not, and I get that it's an insult, but I just can't figure out of Pillok is a creature (animal, fish), or if it's just another way to say "retarded". Please PM me if you can't post the defination openly without being cheeky to the other members here. Thanks!!

Talk about a slow response on my part! :banghead:

Sorry SoGT! I was searching on how to clean the awful chalky marks that have appeared on my SS stripes, after I washed it, and came across this post (and saw your question!).

You're pretty close with your definition - Pillock is another word for idiot (or another British word is 'pratt', which means pretty much the same thing).

Sorry you had to wait 7-months for your answer... that would make me the pillock in this situation :hysterical:

Yes a hundred times on waxing them.

Now, what wax is a question that you'll see lots of different opinions on here. Zaino & Meguires are just a couple of other ones that get high marks here. Just check the specs on the wax to make sure there is UV protection in them as well as it being a high-quality, non-abrasive wax.

I've went the Zaino route and am thrilled with the results. The only downside I have notices (might not be a down side) is you'll be spending a couple of hours doing the washing and waxing. But I did enjoy every min of it.

You'll probably read a bit about Clay Bar-ing a car first to make sure TINY little contaminants that the soap leaves behind are removed. I was not a believer, so went straight to waxing.

Then **This is worth reading** a friend of mine that works at Meguires preached it to me as well. After I squinted at it, it showed me way to tell it REALLY does make a difference. After washing and rinsing an area of his imaculate black tuck. He tood the celephane (spelling?) wrapper that cigarettes come in, then had me gently rub the surface of the truck gently through the celephane, no fooling, i could feel a tiny amount of roughness. Then out came the clay bar. After gently rubbing the area with the clay bar, lubricated by a final touch polish, then washing and drying...ALL BETTER! ZERO roughness when I gently rubbed the area that we just did through the celephane.

OK. I'm a believer now. So, when it warms up and I'm ready to blow an entire afternoon, I'm washing with enough concentration of car wash (or just dish washing detergent) to take all the wax off, I'm starting from scratch again with the clay bar.

Happy waxing!

I can't say that I have a car right now with flat black stripes to worry about a problem like this, but I would like to see how some pictures of how they turn out. I would not think wax would work that well. I had a car in the early 80s with flat black stripes and a flat black painted hood. I was told to keep the flat black looking flat; all you needed to do is clean it with a type UV type protectant - but with something that is more of a "anti" wax. An "anti" wax would keep it looking flat. It sounds weird - but I used armor all. It had a sheen for a little while until the sun dried it up. Armor all is the opposite polarity of wax and will remove wax. Flat material is not smooth, it has pores, it is rough and and when you put wax on it, the wax fills in the pores and what you really need is something that will clean the pores to keep it flat. ----- Now that was a long time ago, materials have changed, all I can say is it worked very well for me. Put I would be interested in seeing what something looks like if you wax it - and especially if you clay it. I think it is going for fill the pores, clean up the roughness and end up more of a satin finish.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm glad to see this discussion as I was wondering the same thing about the stripes.

I went to Meguiar's website and watched the videos about the different products.

I have decided to use a synthetic sealant on my paint versus traditional wax.

They say that you can use either wax or sealant to protect your car.

I think with black paint the sealant might work well.

This is what I ordered: http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_deta...?T1=MEG+SEA2+16

I'll let you know how it works on the stripes too ;)

Hope this helps.

I believe in what Enis says..his car looks brand new with 22K miles. Its always nice to see cars that people drive like he does and keep them in tip top shape!!

Archived