TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT dash Plaque, ( STOLEN )

aaronstiles

My buddy bought a Shelby GT the Dash plaque was stolen off the car, he contacetd shelby ad they told him first he could get one, after they made him a new Plaque the gentleman he was dealing with told him that Management would not let him send it out. I guess their policy is even if it where stolen in transit to the dealer ship you could not get a new one. I think this is BS, I totally understand the heritage, and the Clone stuff, but he owns a Shelby GT has title in hand, he has the one under the hood, I own a Shelby GT and I can tell you if my where stoilen I'd be pissed if I could not get a replacement. What is you opinions?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ever had to have one of these new fangled "chip embedded" car keys copied? It takes an act of congress to get a copy - which I completely understand, even though it's extremely aggravating!

It's to easy for someone to provide information that seems legitimate, but be completely false.

This is yet another product of the litigation society we live in, everyone needs to cover their butts!

I would agree that the plaque should be sent to the nearest dealer (or certified middle-man) and the owner of the Shelby drive the car there with proof of ownership. This is a very aggravating, but effective way to put a stop to the cloning.

On another note, I stopped by a local dealer here to order a part. I was wearing my "Powered By Ford" logo T-Shirt. When he found out I had an SGT, the parts counter guy told me to "hang onto your fender logos for dear life". These are also very tough and expensive to obtain.

SEF

AKA:

Ever had to have one of these new fangled "chip embedded" car keys copied? It takes an act of congress to get a copy - which I completely understand, even though it's extremely aggravating!

It's to easy for someone to provide information that seems legitimate, but be completely false.

This is yet another product of the litigation society we live in, everyone needs to cover their butts!

I would agree that the plaque should be sent to the nearest dealer (or certified middle-man) and the owner of the Shelby drive the car there with proof of ownership. This is a very aggravating, but effective way to put a stop to the cloning.

On another note, I stopped by a local dealer here to order a part. I was wearing my "Powered By Ford" logo T-Shirt. When he found out I had an SGT, the parts counter guy told me to "hang onto your fender logos for dear life". These are also very tough and expensive to obtain.

SEF

AKA:

The fender emblems can be bought on e-bay

They were last week.

My wife and I went to the Fantasy of Flight yearly Mustang show recently in Lakeland,Florida and one guy came up to us and said you need to watch your fender emblems as they go for well over $300 on the street. Damn , we have to hire a guard to watch our cars. LOL

My wife and I went to the Fantasy of Flight yearly Mustang show recently in Lakeland,Florida and one guy came up to us and said you need to watch your fender emblems as they go for well over $300 on the street. Damn , we have to hire a guard to watch our cars. LOL

The reason they are so valuable is because SOMEONE is not making these things available to the owner.

My buddy bought a Shelby GT the Dash plaque was stolen off the car, he contacetd shelby ad they told him first he could get one, after they made him a new Plaque the gentleman he was dealing with told him that Management would not let him send it out. I guess their policy is even if it where stolen in transit to the dealer ship you could not get a new one. I think this is BS, I totally understand the heritage, and the Clone stuff, but he owns a Shelby GT has title in hand, he has the one under the hood, I own a Shelby GT and I can tell you if my where stoilen I'd be pissed if I could not get a replacement. What is you opinions?

thats the curse of having something exclusive.

even if u have the real deal

ur still treated like a counterfeit bill.

How much was Shelby going to charge him for it before they changed their mind? I don't think Shelby should give them away inexpensively either, because some people might remove their own plaques and try to get extras too easily for whatever reason. I do think, if the car is verified Shelby via VIN and other ID, and that its not stolen, etc., has tag and title, then Shelby should sell up to 1 replacement plaque for that vehicle and the occurence in the Registry.

Yes, you can buy them on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SHELBY-GT-P...sspagenameZWDVW

But to my untrained eye, these don't look at all like the one's on our SGTs!!

I think I'll keep an eye on mine - better safe than sorry! By the way, the parts guy said he had ordered a set for another Shelby owner, but Shelby sent a duplicate order. Can you guess what the parts guy did with the extra set? HE PUT THEM ON HIS OWN MUSTANG! When he found out how much they were going for "on the street", he kicked himself for selling his Stang with the emblems still on the car!

SEF

AKA:

as nice as your car collection is, I'm surprised you guys don't travel around with an Expedition full of guards!

I'd be interested in hearing how was the plaque was stolen.

How would you suggest SAI take care of your friend yet prevent people from ripping the plaque off themselves, claim it was stolen, and get another? What would you do if you were SAI and had to maintain the credibility of the cars and prevent clones.

BTW: There is no "Shelby GT" title. The SGT titles, and the VIN will list, as a Mustang GT.

Yes, you can buy them on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SHELBY-GT-P...sspagenameZWDVW

But to my untrained eye, these don't look at all like the one's on our SGTs!!

I think I'll keep an eye on mine - better safe than sorry! By the way, the parts guy said he had ordered a set for another Shelby owner, but Shelby sent a duplicate order. Can you guess what the parts guy did with the extra set? HE PUT THEM ON HIS OWN MUSTANG! When he found out how much they were going for "on the street", he kicked himself for selling his Stang with the emblems still on the car!

SEF

AKA:

These are not the fender emblems that are on our cars. The emblems on e-bay are made by Scott Drake after Shelby re-autorized their production. I think this style emblem was on the original Cobra cars.

I'd be interested in hearing how was the plaque was stolen.

How would you suggest SAI take care of your friend yet prevent people from ripping the plaque off themselves, claim it was stolen, and get another? What would you do if you were SAI and had to maintain the credibility of the cars and prevent clones.

BTW: There is no "Shelby GT" title. The SGT titles, and the VIN will list, as a Mustang GT.

I suggest they look up the owner in the registry.

Welcome to the Shelby Unified Registry!

This registry is for all Shelby vehicles produced from 1962 to present. More than just a registration of your base vehicle, it's a place to keep records of the changes in ownership and changes to your car through the years. Documentation of your Shelby will provide future generations with a history of the cars they're buying and will, if complete, get you the most out of your investment if and when you decide to sell your Shelby vehicle.

Please be as accurate and complete as possible when registering or modifying your registry entry. Click below to continue:

Say...what happened to that online registry search page? Quit robbing us of our fame!!! :angry22:

1. There is a company or individual that does sell authentic "Powered by Ford" badges on EBAY once and awhile. Their address is in MI. The usually seel for around $350-400.

2. SAI does need to protect the authenticity of cars and I appreciate them doing it. However, the dash plaque is part of the original car and should not be sold without all its pieces. If it was stolen in transit then SAI, the shipping company, the dealer and Ford should work to get it resolve. The customer shouldn't have accepted the car without it and shouldn't have to work so hard to get it replaced.

3. I suspect we are not hearing both sides of the story. I wouldn't be surprised if SAI's position was that the request and documentation has to come from a dealership not the customer.

4. To prevent somebody from commiting fraud is not possible. It happens every day. However, there are laws to help slow it down. Make the documentation include a police report. It is illegal to falisfy a police report (in most if not all states). Require a claim from an insurance company even if the deductible will cover it (if that is possible). Most states it is illegal to commit insurance fraud.

5. Lastly guard your stuff as best as possible.

In light of this information regarding the fender badges, I think that I will remove mine, drill a small hole in the fender behind the badge, install a pin switch, and incorporate the switch into the factory alarm system. That way, if anyone pulls the badge off the car, the switch will ground and trigger the alarm.

Just kidding on that, but you can bet your butts that I will be keeping an close eye on them whenever I'm at car shows, cuz that's a likely place for thevin' like that to happen.

Hard to get? $300.00 to $400.00 to replace if you can find them at all? Sheeeet! Maybe we should epoxy them onto the damn car!!

In light of this information regarding the fender badges, I think that I will remove mine, drill a small hole in the fender behind the badge, install a pin switch, and incorporate the switch into the factory alarm system. That way, if anyone pulls the badge off the car, the switch will ground and trigger the alarm.

LMAO, an alarm in LA. :hysterical: Now you know nobody pays attention to those.

Hard to get? $300.00 to $400.00 to replace if you can find them at all? Sheeeet! Maybe we should epoxy them onto the damn car!!

They would still tear up both fenders trying to get it off, however it might allow them a few more seconds of fooling around with the car while I grab the shotgun. :)

I know the fender badges have been discussed in other topics and I thought I had read that SAI (or Ford) would sell replacement badges provided that you had a police report documenting that they were stolen (an insurance claim would probably also help). I'm pretty sure it's along the same lines as the stripes - you need to give SAI clear documentation on way the originals were damaged before they'll send a new set to your dealer. I completely support all of the safe guards Ford and SAI have put in place regarding our badges. You can buy authenicate GT500 cobra badges and put them on a V6 [didn't someone post pictures of a car like that not too long ago?]. I'd rather have a harder time getting replacement badges if my mine are stolen than I would seeing a dozen mustangs on the road everyday with the same badges. As for owners being able to get replacement badges without proper documentation, I completely agree with Ilmor - there'd be nothing to stop an owner from telling SAI that the his/her badges had been stolen when they really hadn't been and then turning around and selling the replacements to a friend or on eBay. As probably any Super Snake or KR owner would agree with, the same controls should be (I'm guessing they already are) on the unique badging for those models so someone doesn't buy a stock GT and make a KR or SS clone. Personally, I think Ford should have implemented similar controls on the regular GT500 stuff. I know that some dealers are taking GTs and putting on a "GT500 Appearance Package" (at least one on this forum). I don't really have with dealer doing that as long as they're up front with the buyer about the car not being a real GT500 - my concern is that the buyer will sell that car in a few years and won't be as forth coming with the secondary buyer.

Matt

Charge them for the part at 10% over cost.

So in other words, in a world where people will pay $300 for $10 fender badges, you don't have a solution either.

Maybe I'm just a little suspect here of what actually happened. I've read the original post and it's not clear at all to me if he bought the car used, from a private party or new from a dealer. Either way did he buy it with or without the plaque, of if it was somehow stolen later. I have no idea. If it was purchased that way, and from a dealer the dealer should file a warranty claim, that's a no brainer it should be provided. If the guy bought it used, and did so knowing there was no plaque, he should have either demanded the seller get one or walked away. If it's true and he did contact SAI, and has proof of the call and a person, PRIOR to his purchase, then regardless of the policy SAI should step up and make it right as an EXCEPTION as he bought the car thinking he could get it replaced. Otherwise...lock your damn doors!

I know the fender badges have been discussed in other topics and I thought I had read that SAI (or Ford) would sell replacement badges provided that you had a police report documenting that they were stolen (an insurance claim would probably also help). I'm pretty sure it's along the same lines as the stripes - you need to give SAI clear documentation on way the originals were damaged before they'll send a new set to your dealer. I completely support all of the safe guards Ford and SAI have put in place regarding our badges. You can buy authenicate GT500 cobra badges and put them on a V6 [didn't someone post pictures of a car like that not too long ago?]. I'd rather have a harder time getting replacement badges if my mine are stolen than I would seeing a dozen mustangs on the road everyday with the same badges. As for owners being able to get replacement badges without proper documentation, I completely agree with Ilmor - there'd be nothing to stop an owner from telling SAI that the his/her badges had been stolen when they really hadn't been and then turning around and selling the replacements to a friend or on eBay. As probably any Super Snake or KR owner would agree with, the same controls should be (I'm guessing they already are) on the unique badging for those models so someone doesn't buy a stock GT and make a KR or SS clone. Personally, I think Ford should have implemented similar controls on the regular GT500 stuff. I know that some dealers are taking GTs and putting on a "GT500 Appearance Package" (at least one on this forum). I don't really have with dealer doing that as long as they're up front with the buyer about the car not being a real GT500 - my concern is that the buyer will sell that car in a few years and won't be as forth coming with the secondary buyer.

Matt

There is absolutely no need to involve the police or the insurance company.

1) Customer calles SAI and wants to buy a fender badge

2) SAI looks up the customer's info in the registry and authenticates the customer over the phone(done all the time when you call any customer service telephone line)

3) SAI ships badge to customer

We can't prevent cloning so there is no need to even concern ourselves that. Actually since SAI seems to have no clear policy on anything, I would encourage cloning so I can actually buy a part for my car.

There is absolutely no need to involve the police or the insurance company.

1) Customer calles SAI and wants to buy a fender badge

2) SAI looks up the customer's info in the registry and authenticates the customer over the phone(done all the time when you call any customer service telephone line)

3) SAI ships badge to customer

We can't prevent cloning so there is no need to even concern ourselves that. Actually since SAI seems to have no clear policy on anything, I would encourage cloning so I can actually buy a part for my car.

If someone wants to break into my house there's not much I can do to stop them, but that doesn't mean I should just leave the front door open for them.

As for not getting the police or insurance involve, that's your prerogative but I'll being the police first thing if anyone vandalizes something I paid a pretty penny for.

If someone wants to break into my house there's not much I can do to stop them, but that doesn't mean I should just leave the front door open for them.

As for not getting the police or insurance involve, that's your prerogative but I'll being the police first thing if anyone vandalizes something I paid a pretty penny for.

Maybe a viable option for you, but not for me. I don't want to deal with police or have my insurance rates go up.

Archived