TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Alternative to Ford (Peripheral Electronics) iPod / HD Radio kit

As the first two things I did to my Shelby GT I put in the electrochromic mirror with HomeLink (garage door opener). Highly satisfied - the self dimming is very nice and the garage door buttons work perfectly. Their wiring harness has some clips that you attach to a fuse and they aren't very good so I think I'm going to tap into a wiring harness in the headliner but that's not why we're here.

The second project was the iPod HD Radio kit. I don't drive the car often enough to justify the satellite radio and my wife likes her iPod so I thought it would be a good upgrade. The HD radio version was only about $40 more so I got it. Installation was a very interesting exercise, because so much disassembly was required but that's a topic for another day. I thought I would give it a try even though some had reported problems with it. Those reports weren't specific so I don't know if they are the same issue I am having.

By the way, I got both of these from Team Ford in Las Vegas - they are referenced frequently in Team Shelby and have provided excellent prices, service and support.

Anyway, the HD radio kit has a flaw. We live in the foothills of the rockies, so FM reception varies. Normal FM fades in and out but I never lose a signal. HD on the other hand is binary. If the signal gets weak, it goes OFF. Then the analog FM kicks in. There is an annoying 10 second lag between the digital and analog as well. On a recent drive to Estes Park the radio was switching modes every 15 seconds.

I'd be perfectly satisfied if the radio preserved the ability to override to an analog reception mode. But it doesn't (at least not that I could find). I've attempted to contact Peripheral Electronics (the actual manufacturer) to no avail so far.

So, it is likely this will be returned.

Does anyone have suggestions for a radio that supports an iPod connection and also has HD (and if that HD supports a full override)? The original radio is the Shaker 500. I'm not interested in a $2000 "upgrade" with new speakers, etc. Just something that will fit in the hole. Compatibility with the existing harness (no harness cuts) gets bonus points. Navigation is not essential but would be OK if it came with.

Thanks!

Tony,

For just an upgrade to the I-pod utilizing either a Shaker 500 or 1000 system there are these alternatives:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrdo4pods.html

http://www.pie.net/pie_store/shopexd.asp?id=639&bc=no

I caution everyone to read the disclaimers regarding Sat and Nav systems of some of the units.

Roger

Tony,

For just an upgrade to the I-pod utilizing either a Shaker 500 or 1000 system there are these alternatives:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrdo4pods.html

http://www.pie.net/pie_store/shopexd.asp?id=639&bc=no

I caution everyone to read the disclaimers regarding Sat and Nav systems of some of the units.

Roger

Instead of an add-on to the existing '500 radio, I'm thinking of a total replacement like Pioneer or Alpine. How about suggestions in this space? The Shaker is a really nice and the speakers are good. I like the adjustment the built-in radio does for sound based on background sount -- which required in the 'vert. If I only wanted CD's or "over the air standard" it would be OK. We don't use it enough to justify satellite (XM) so the iPod or HD sounded like a good compromise but we're just caught in a really bad area geographically.

I'll check out the Alpine/Panasonic/etc places tomorrow, but still welcome references - looking for someone that has a successful alternative.

Thanks!

I recently installed the Pioneer FH-P8000BT double din unit. The features are great, particularly the hands free Bluetooth and multiple input options. I actually have a 40GB 2.5" hard drive running through the USB connection. Who needs an iPod???? :hysterical: Installation was intimidating at first (especially the 5V regulator) but if you take your time you'll be fine. I'm using XM, not HD radio, so can't speak to the HD override. I recommend Crutchfield because their support, if not always knowledgeable, is responsive. Price is fair when you consider that it includes the wiring harness, install kit and antenna adapter. For nav you'll need to jump up to something like the Pioneer AVIC D3. It's a very popular choice for Mustang owners.

Here's a couple of postings from mustangforums.com that speak about the unit and general installation. I'm "randy65" on that board.

FH-P8000BT discussion

(pictures of my install are on page 3)

Install instructions for double DIN units

yea i had my sgt for about 1 and a half months before i changed the stereo.. im an audio freak... i put in the alpine iva-w205 and i absolutely love it.. the install was pretty easy and the deck works nicely... i totally recommend alpine :drool: but thats just me.. and then buy the 10 dollar (ebay) ipod hook up cable and ur set... the cable also lets u control the ipod through the stereo so u dont have to mess wit the ipod itself.. what i did is i popped off the center column and ran the wire down past the shifter and i unplugged the audio input thats in ur center console then plug the ipod cable in.. so i now i stick my ipod in my center console and never look at it again.. p.s. with the cable ur ipod charges while u listen to it.. the one thing i highly highly recommend is that u buy the video bypass.. im sorry but i just dont like alpine telling me that i cant watch a movie unless im stopped... the bypass will run u about 40 bucks and easy install and totally worth the money.. just my opinion..

Archived