TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Where to put the jack and jack stands?

If I want to use a jack to raise the car up, where should I place it underneath? and where should I place the jack stands?

thanks.

Not an easy answer here. The owner's manual has no advice, apparently Ford doesn't want us to jack up the car.

My "big red book" doesn't say much either, just two pictures (1 front, 1 rear) with arrows..."Jack here, and here." Sorry, I can't import the pics. Of course, there is also two pages of what not to do...Typical Ford.

The jack pads are not difficult to see once you get a look under the car. Maybe this is the best thing to do? Stop by a repair shop near you and ask them to put your car on a rack. Once you see where the lift pads are, you'll have your answer.

Be advised that you will need a low profile jack to get under the side skirts of the SGT. There are inexpensive "racing" style jacks available at any FLAPS, costs between 60 and 100 bucks.

I have the factory service manuals on cd-rom and they show different spots than what is shown above. I just changed out my whole suspension in my garage and what I did was jack the rear under the center section of the rear end being careful to not hit the cover and put jack stands under the axle tubes or in front of the lower control arm front mounting points. For the front I jacked at the jacking point just behind the ground effect under the front fender and put the stands under the subframe. You could also put the stand under the lower control arm. Just lower the jack slowly onto the stands and check for any bending or damage. You also might want to get some pad covers for the jack and stands to minimize scratching underneath. Hope this helps.

I have the factory service manuals on cd-rom and they show different spots than what is shown above. I just changed out my whole suspension in my garage and what I did was jack the rear under the center section of the rear end being careful to not hit the cover and put jack stands under the axle tubes or in front of the lower control arm front mounting points. For the front I jacked at the jacking point just behind the ground effect under the front fender and put the stands under the subframe. You could also put the stand under the lower control arm. Just lower the jack slowly onto the stands and check for any bending or damage. You also might want to get some pad covers for the jack and stands to minimize scratching underneath. Hope this helps.

Is there a way you can post a diagram from that cd rom to make it easier visualizing where to actually place it?

Be advised that you will need a low profile jack to get under the side skirts of the SGT. There are inexpensive "racing" style jacks available at any FLAPS, costs between 60 and 100 bucks.

Yeah I bought a set of "racing" style jack and jack stands from autozone. They ran me about $100 and the jack can easily go underneath the car.

If I want to use a jack to raise the car up, where should I place it underneath? and where should I place the jack stands?

thanks.

Well, in my experience with my old 96 GT, you could use the jack on the pinch welds under the side skirts and jack the car using the car jack that came with the car on them...however, the SGT does not come with a car jack, so I've been looking around a little myself and ran accross these little jewels from Livernois Motorsports...Looks like it might be a viable solution to the jacking problem on the SGT if you have a low profile jack in your garage...They say they must be welded on, but if it'll work, what the heck...looks better than screwing up the under carriage of the car with a jack and denting everything up under there like I've seen some done...

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product.phtml?p=1074

Archived