TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Retune with no mods?

I just returned from getting my SGT serviced for the first time. I had a long convo with the service

manager concerning mod's I want to have done. He told me that I could have my SGT re-tuned and

make more hp with no mod's at all. Has anyone else heard or tried this or is he just BS'n me?

Kevin

07SGT2591

I just returned from getting my SGT serviced for the first time. I had a long convo with the service

manager concerning mod's I want to have done. He told me that I could have my SGT re-tuned and

make more hp with no mod's at all. Has anyone else heard or tried this or is he just BS'n me?

Kevin

07SGT2591

Yeah you can. The only mods I have are 4:10 gears and a generic Hypertech tune and I have 288hp/303tq. Gears make no difference on HP/TQ. The gains are minimal but you can change the response of your car. People who have it swear by the Brenspeed tune.

Yes, you absolutely can. The Shelby tune is actually pretty mild in many aspects. I went with the X3 SCT tuner on mine. Many folks here have had great luck with Brenspeed as mentioned above, but I got mine through Bama Chips. He custom installs three different tunes depending on what the customer wants. I'm very happy with my tuner from Bama Chips. My car being a Hertz car is an automatic. The tuner completely changed the shift preasures and quite a few other aspects of the tranny shifting and the tune on the motor. At the mile high altitude where I live, my car went from a 15.1 in the quarter to a 14.7 after the tune. Yes these times seem slow to most of you, but come up to Denver and see what happens to your car at a mile high! :) A regular 13.0 car will loose about 1.5 seconds at this altitude. It does really stink! So that would equate to about a 13.1 - 13.2 at sea level. I didn't run any dyno pulls yet to see the difference in HP. I absolutely love the difference in how the car drives since the tune. A pretty huge difference can be had from these cars with just a tune change. There are quite a few topics on this forum about this if you do a search.

Ford SVT told me that putting anything but an approved tune on the car (from Ford, SVT or Shelby) would void the warranty if you ever had any engine claims. They said that even if you loaded the original tune they could do a deep scan and tell if the tune had ever been changed to something else.

Ford SVT told me that putting anything but an approved tune on the car (from Ford, SVT or Shelby) would void the warranty if you ever had any engine claims. They said that even if you loaded the original tune they could do a deep scan and tell if the tune had ever been changed to something else.

This is 100 percent true, gents. Starting with the EEC-V in the '05 and up S197, the EEC will track flash-overs. On one of the dozens of chips inside the EEC rests a check digit. When that digit changes, Ford will know a flash-over has been done. Restoring your factory tune does not repair the check digit, only authorized developers (FMC/SAI/FRP/SVT, etc.) have access to the check digit.

Ford doesn't need to know the details of your tune, all they need to prove is that someone other than an authorized developer flashed the EEC. If you suffer a serious power train failure and the EEC goes back to the Ford lab for research, you're done. You will be billed for any repairs completed to get your car back up and running.

This is the main reason I haven't tuned LuLu. She runs pretty good (and hard) without taking this risk. Maybe in a while, I'll add a blower and go nutz with the power, but not yet. Not with just 7K on the clock.

LuLu, just curious - are you sure that your header installation hasn't already voided your warranty, at least in the eyes of some dealers? I would be afraid of that, but maybe I shouldn't be - I don't know.

Headers can be removed before any claim are made.

Ahhhh...I see... :fool: There I go, being naive again!!!

Archived