TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 Without Stripes

captdave

Hello all .. love the forum and have to add my 2 cents. I am a NO STRIPE man and here are the reasons why. My first car was purchased when I was 22. It was a black 69 Mustang 428 CobraJet. Great car with great lines and no stripes .. no mods but very fast. When three daughters came along and also a german shepherd it was time to sell the car and go the family vehicle route. But I always longed for the sleek form of the the 69 and 70 fastbacks. IMO the best years ever produced as far as looks go.

When Ford came out with the 05 Mustang I was mildly interested again. They copied a lot of the good-looking shape of the 69 - 70 era. But when Shelby came out with the 07 GT500 I was hooked. I have one on order (hopefully built in this very last week of production) and I ordered it with stripe-delete. I think cars are like good architecture, they should adhere to the axiom of 'form follows function'. In other words, the beauty and shape of a vehicle should stand on its own merits. To add scoops that do not function is like adding decorative pillars at the front of a building that really support nothing. IMO the GT500 has perfect lines and shape and needs nothing to enhance its beauty. Don't be offended when I say that adding the over-the-top stripes is like adding orange flames coming off the front wheel wells. They are not needed, and serve only to attract unwanted attention. I really do not care to advertise my presence from a quarter mile away, and do not want to attract the street racing crowd. I am now 60 years old and just want to drive a fast, beautiful car.

Hope I didn't offend anyone here cuz I know I am in the minority here. Just wanna live the dream.

Bob W

I never looked at it that way. I can see your point. Sounds good to me. I hope you don't mind if I still like the stripes just a little bit. A red GT500 with white stripes is still my favorite.

CaptDave

Hello all .. love the forum and have to add my 2 cents. I am a NO STRIPE man and here are the reasons why. My first car was purchased when I was 22. It was a black 69 Mustang 428 CobraJet. Great car with great lines and no stripes .. no mods but very fast. When three daughters came along and also a german shepherd it was time to sell the car and go the family vehicle route. But I always longed for the sleek form of the the 69 and 70 fastbacks. IMO the best years ever produced as far as looks go.

When Ford came out with the 05 Mustang I was mildly interested again. They copied a lot of the good-looking shape of the 69 - 70 era. But when Shelby came out with the 07 GT500 I was hooked. I have one on order (hopefully built in this very last week of production) and I ordered it with stripe-delete. I think cars are like good architecture, they should adhere to the axiom of 'form follows function'. In other words, the beauty and shape of a vehicle should stand on its own merits. To add scoops that do not function is like adding decorative pillars at the front of a building that really support nothing. IMO the GT500 has perfect lines and shape and needs nothing to enhance its beauty. Don't be offended when I say that adding the over-the-top stripes is like adding orange flames coming off the front wheel wells. They are not needed, and serve only to attract unwanted attention. I really do not care to advertise my presence from a quarter mile away, and do not want to attract the street racing crowd. I am now 60 years old and just want to drive a fast, beautiful car.

Hope I didn't offend anyone here cuz I know I am in the minority here. Just wanna live the dream.

Bob W

Great point of view. I really thought I was going to need the stripes when I got my Alloy Vert. I even started to research shops, etc... Then I got the car in December and it would be 3 months before it was going anywhere. I spent those three months, bundling myself all up to go into the freeezing garage, pull the cover off, and admire the machine. It wasn't long before I could see the true beauty of all the angles, cutlines, etc... Bottom line is that this maybe one of the best looking cars ever made. It seems like the designers just hit everything correct. The front end is simply amazing. I find it hard to believe that the car wasn't originally designed around the Shelby, but I digress...

The stripes certainly don't hurt the look of the car, but do make it look pretty different. I particularily love the shape of the hood, and it flows so nicely without stripes. The rear looks a little better with stripes as it is pretty big without and somewhat plain. Maybe I should just stripe the trunk back.....hahaha.....

What is neat, is that having the option, has made for many permutations of the car, so you almost never see one like your own.

My alloy vert is a pretty big sleeper, but when people figure it out, they go crazy. Almost like a kid sneaking candy and getting caught (alloy vert w/o stipes), versus yelling that he is stealing candy as he walks in (red coupe with white stripes). It is almost like people are thinking "hey....that Shelby almost slipped past, but I caught it!".

Get that car and live that dream! I still can't believe I got one, and am enjoying every minute of owning it. These are truely special cars that we are all going to remember really fondly as time goes on.

Looks like the price of used 2007 GT500's are really dropping. Maybe it's time for the little rich kids to get rid of their GT500's and get the next hot car. Anyway, I love the stripes.

CaptDave

Another wonderful condescending comment from Capt. Dave. It must be so nice to sit on the sidelines and bust everyone else's balls.

Maybe at 39 I am an old guy, but I really like my Alloy Vert without stripes. When I first bought it, it was my number one plan to put stripes on it, but now that I have had it a while I really like it without the stripes.

Plus it is a Vert, and since the original Verts didn't have Lemans stripes, it would be very "unShelby" to add them.

Everyone can have opinions...nothing wrong with that.

All Stangs are cool and if a GT500 owner doesn't get that, then he/she isn't a true Stanger and should go buy a Civic........

What is unnatural is the sound of the air being ripped apart in my blower as the rear tires claw for traction at 50 miles per hour. That is seriously unnatural, dare I say demonic...............

I like the stripes on the Vert. I think the stripes were not offered on the Vert because of the aftermarket upgrade- 40th Anniversary, Super Snake. I don't think it is UNSHELBY at all. :happy feet:

Cheers! :beerchug: :banvictory:

I love the the striped look but I'm glad I got mine without. They just scream "look at me". I don't need or want the attention. I know what I have and that's all that matters.

My game is this...fly under the radar, kick arse and take names. Without the stripes, nobody knows what it is until they pull up on you. Then they see the snakes. By the time their chin hits their lap it's too late.

First off, stripes should "always" be an option. And if Shelby's only come with stripes, then so be it, but the verts do not. That said, I do not care for the stripes these days, more so that almost all Mustangs either come with, or get some sort of stripes, factory or not. Meaning, the stripes do nothing in identifying the Shelby's nor separating them from the pack. However, if "ONLY" Shelby's got stripes, I might have been more inclined. I like the no stripe look, more so on black, as i do not care for the plastic crap... If I ever choose stripes, they would be painted on! Just MO.

I agree it looks better with stripes, but Vinyl is just lame for a 45,000 dollar car. Vinyl is great for a short term rice mobile that you paint and put stickers on every 4 or 5 years. The Shelby should of had painted stripes. I got mine without stripes and once I get all the performance mod's done I will get the stripes painted on.

I agree it looks better with stripes, but Vinyl is just lame for a 45,000 dollar car. Vinyl is great for a short term rice mobile that you paint and put stickers on every 4 or 5 years. The Shelby should of had painted stripes. I got mine without stripes and once I get all the performance mod's done I will get the stripes painted on.

If you are going to have the stripes painted on down the road because you like stripes, then what would be wrong with the vinyl in the short term? That's what I plan on doing. I figure in 5 or 6 years down the road when the car is paid off and all the performance mod's are done, then I can get the stripes painted on.

I never looked at it that way. I can see your point. Sounds good to me. I hope you don't mind if I still like the stripes just a little bit. A red GT500 with white stripes is still my favorite.

CaptDave

I'll sell mine.

NOT..... NEVER....... NADA.... :hysterical:

Looks like the price of used 2007 GT500's are really dropping. Maybe it's time for the little rich kids to get rid of their GT500's and get the next hot car.

CaptDave

Hey! I always wanted to be the little rich kid. Since I own a 2007 GT500, maybe that makes me one?! Now I am truly at peace...both of my lifelong dreams fulfilled. To own a bad a$$ Mustang and be the little rich kid. :dreamy:

A Shelby without LeMans stripes just seems unnatural. And dare I say, a little un-American.

CaptDave

WTFs un-American about this? Get your head out of your @ss and learn your Shelby history. lol

101_2946.jpg

These cars are damn sexy with or w/o stripes.

I keep my dash on red-white-blue for whatever its worth. :P

Thanks for the link to that video.I have always kept my dash on Red,White and Blue!What is really strange about this link is that at 2min 21sec the pic of the guy looking at the memorial wall in the civilian dress is my father!A decorated Viet-Nam vet who is still very active along with my mother in supporting our troops.Thanks to all of you veterans!

• 4 months later...

This forum has alot of great information on it - thanks everyone for helping us newbies get up to speed!

So my first car was a black '65 notchback 289, and I loved it - joined the service and figured 'I won't need a car...' So I made up for it by getting a loaded black on black 08 vert about two months ago, and still go out to the garage at night to stare at it when my wife is asleep... :-)

I'm responding on this thread though to echo some of the points made earlier - I got mine without stripes, and love it that way. Maybe it is just me and my personality, but I don't really care who knows what I drive - I know what I have. The form and design of the car is without modern equal, and not to offend anybody here, think that the overt stripes detract from the lines. I don't really view my particular choices as being stealth (and frankly I kinda take a perverse pleasure in having the SHELBY on the tail - so the driver that just got his fourth point smoked can understand as I pull away), but maybe subtle. As somebody said earlier, alot of what having a shelby is about is preference, and making it yours. At the end of the day, I'll take mine without and thank you sir, may I have another!

the black cars do not need stripes..only stripes should be blue anyhow...i hate stickers so sticker stripes do not appeal to myself...what i want is shelby splashed across the back correctly and no ford or svt badging...

WOW bull, on this we do agree!!!

I have had them side by side, Ebony with Tungsten stripped GT500's and Ebony w/o stripes, and the one w/o the stripes looks much better, much cleaner and much meaner.

Also, lately I have been pondering replacing my Tungsten side stripes with blue ones, I think the contrast would be better and that black and blue combo is more sinister looking, IMHO.

This forum has alot of great information on it - thanks everyone for helping us newbies get up to speed!

So my first car was a black '65 notchback 289, and I loved it - joined the service and figured 'I won't need a car...' So I made up for it by getting a loaded black on black 08 vert about two months ago, and still go out to the garage at night to stare at it when my wife is asleep... :-)

I'm responding on this thread though to echo some of the points made earlier - I got mine without stripes, and love it that way. Maybe it is just me and my personality, but I don't really care who knows what I drive - I know what I have. The form and design of the car is without modern equal, and not to offend anybody here, think that the overt stripes detract from the lines. I don't really view my particular choices as being stealth (and frankly I kinda take a perverse pleasure in having the SHELBY on the tail - so the driver that just got his fourth point smoked can understand as I pull away), but maybe subtle. As somebody said earlier, alot of what having a shelby is about is preference, and making it yours. At the end of the day, I'll take mine without and thank you sir, may I have another!

Welcome & Enjoy your car the way you like it.

Hey, I didn't at first notice that was your first post, welcome aboard. :D

There's a ton for great info here if you're willing to dig a little for it; but of course, don't be afraid to ask or PM should you not find what you are looking for.

Good to see you joined Team Shelby too.

Cheers,

Jay

Good idea about the Aveo. I built up a 1967 Mustang coupe into a street racecar back in 1984. Red with white LeMans stripes. Took 1st place that year at SAAC-10 in the Mustang category. All Mustangs were put in one large group back then. My only 1st place at a national event. I always loved a Mustang with stripes. So when I saw that red/white 2007 Shelby GT500 at the NY autoshow I knew I would get one someday. I just knew it would take a little time.

Looks like the price of used 2007 GT500's are really dropping. Maybe it's time for the little rich kids to get rid of their GT500's and get the next hot car. Anyway, I love the stripes.

CaptDave

Ditto here! My wife and I have an 07 torch red coupe with factory stripe delete. We both wanted it this way and most likely would not have purchased it with stripes. I'm 52 and wife is 54. We love the car w/o the boy racer stripes, however, we do like stripes - just not for us. To each his/her own.

Bill and Cheryl

MWWC, OK

Good idea about the Aveo. I built up a 1967 Mustang coupe into a street racecar back in 1984. Red with white LeMans stripes. Took 1st place that year at SAAC-10 in the Mustang category. All Mustangs were put in one large group back then. My only 1st place at a national event. I always loved a Mustang with stripes. So when I saw that red/white 2007 Shelby GT500 at the NY autoshow I knew I would get one someday. I just knew it would take a little time.

CaptDave

Ditto here! My wife and I have an 07 torch red coupe with factory stripe delete. We both wanted it this way and most likely would not have purchased it with stripes. I'm 52 and wife is 54. We love the car w/o the boy racer stripes, however, we do like stripes - just not for us. To each his/her own.

Bill and Cheryl

MWWC, OK

I wasn't sure about the cop factor with the stripes, but i figured if I was paying that much money....they were giving me the stripes. I could always take them off for free vs. having to buy them latter if I decided I should have gotten them.

End result......I am keeping my stripes......I earned them!

Like has been said before....everyone has different tastes & reasoning for going with/without stripes.

Some of the stripeless cars are the rarest.....Grabber stripe delete I think.

i love my striped car. a 2007 ebony with tungsten stripes. this colour combo was only available for 2007 as ford cancelled the tungsten colour for 2008.

IMO i think i have the best of both worlds with my colour,if it is bright and sunny the stripes show nicely but when the sun goes down the car looks all black. :drool:

if i had to vote for stripes or no stripes,i would vote for the striped ones though. just my 2 cents.

A Shelby without LeMans stripes just seems unnatural. And dare I say, a little un-American.

CaptDave

+1 Tell me this looks less of a Shelby, I dares ya!!!

I keep my dash on custom color, kinda purpleish-blue. The red-white-blue confused me, since I keep reading my gauges right to left when driving, it was just too french. ;)

post-21415-1224050318_thumb.jpg

post-21415-1224050318_thumb.jpg

Archived