TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 Without Stripes

captdave

Maybe it's just the older guys. But anything with Shelby's name on it should have a pair of "LeMans Stripes".

My personal favorite colors:

#1 Red / White stripes

#2 Blue / White stripes

#3 White / Red or Blue stripes

These are my top three choices. These are the cars that make me run to the dealers showroom floor. A Shelby without LeMans stripes just seems unnatural. And dare I say, a little un-American.

CaptDave

Maybe it's just the older guys. But anything with Shelby's name on it should have a pair of "LeMans Stripes".

#1 Red / White stripes

#2 Blue / White stripes

These are my top three choices. These are the cars that make me run to the dealers showroom floor. A Shelby without LeMans stripes just seems unnatural. And dare I say, a little un-American.

CaptDave

I like Alloy/ Tungsten stripes! :happy feet: Even on a Vert!!!! :hysterical:

#1 Red / White stripes

#2 Blue / White stripes

CaptDave

You don't even own one of these, but still decide to insult all the members who chose stripe delete? Wow. I guess that's why Ford offered all these color and stripe options. That way people can order what they prefer since we all have different tastes. And that's OK. ;)

#1 Red / White stripes

#2 Blue / White stripes

CaptDave

I prefer the stripes and even on a vert. But if I was going to have one without stripes it would be a Black one. Those look OK without stripes.

But it all comes down to personal taste and preference based on what you like. Not want you think everyone else should like.

The good news for you though is the Red with Whites stripes should be the easiest color for you to find a MSRP deal on. That or the White with Blue stripes. Those are the two most popular color combos made. Both for 2007 and 2008.

No stripes on the Shelby's works GREAT for the guys who want their high horsepower SVT Cobra NOT necessarily a Shelby.

But yeah, stripes look great on a GT500, and they "fit" the car.

the black cars do not need stripes..only stripes should be blue anyhow...i hate stickers so sticker stripes do not appeal to myself...what i want is shelby splashed across the back correctly and no ford or svt badging...

Has captdave ever had a positive post? I just don't remember seeing one. I doubt seriously he will ever buy one as there have been a couple of MSRP deals he just ignored.

Well at least he keeps a positive attitude that you will be able to buy one for under MSRP! :hysterical:

Only in the very rare cases where one got listed on ebay with no reserve that did sell for under MSRP he remained asleep at the wheel and didn't buy it making excuses about it.

Somehow I doubt he will ever buy one no matter what the deal is.

Wrong color, wrong options, they will get cheaper yet, blah blah blah!

Has captdave ever had a positive post? I just don't remember seeing one. I doubt seriously he will ever buy one as there have been a couple of MSRP deals he just ignored.

I'm so sorry to have offended you. I didn't know it was an insult to prefer Shelby GT500's with LeMans Stripes. Wait till CS finds out no one like his LeMans Stripes. Well CS, I still like you cars with stripes. At least there is two of us.

CaptDave

We buy the cars for ourselves, not for Shelby. Many of us take the cars and modify or customize them to suit our own tastes. It what the Mustang has always been about.

I know you didn't mean to offend anyone, but just remember that it's all about personal tastes. I hope you manage to get one that you like and enjoy.

"OLD GUY" <-- :slapfight:

PS - Mine is white with blue stripes.

#1 Red / White stripes

#2 Blue / White stripes

CaptDave

Maybe at 39 I am an old guy, but I really like my Alloy Vert without stripes. When I first bought it, it was my number one plan to put stripes on it, but now that I have had it a while I really like it without the stripes.

Plus it is a Vert, and since the original Verts didn't have Lemans stripes, it would be very "unShelby" to add them.

Everyone can have opinions...nothing wrong with that.

All Stangs are cool and if a GT500 owner doesn't get that, then he/she isn't a true Stanger and should go buy a Civic........

What is unnatural is the sound of the air being ripped apart in my blower as the rear tires claw for traction at 50 miles per hour. That is seriously unnatural, dare I say demonic...............

That is one of the primary reasons I went with the SGT over the SGT 500. Most of the convertibles came without stripes and I wanted the stripes. The only convertible SGT 500 coming with stripes is the black/red striped convertible and it looks nice. The stripes certainly attract lots of attention and proclaim "S H E L B Y" loud and proud

That is one of the primary reasons I went with the SGT over the SGT 500. Most of the convertibles came without stripes and I wanted the stripes. The only convertible SGT 500 coming with stripes is the black/red striped convertible and it looks nice. The stripes certainly attract lots of attention and proclaim "S H E L B Y" loud and proud

Not to mention, that gorgeous light bar so reminiscent of the late 60's Shelby GTs too!

Sometimes less is more, stealth is good

plus every boy tuner car has stripes...

Anywho, its all personal preference at the end of the day. Of course in '68, they weren't an option rather a dealer installed item, there are many '67's out there without the Le Mans stripes, the dark blue one are especially tasty.

Here is a fine example of a Brittany Blue '67 without...

1967_ShelbyGT500_21.jpg

1967_ShelbyGT500_21.jpg

#1 Red / White stripes

#2 Blue / White stripes

CaptDave

Let us know when you actually own oneWhat combo you went with and we'll put it to a vote.

captdave,

While I do like the LeMans stripes (& mine does have them) I find it very curious that people have this attitude about Shelby's automatically having skunk stripes.

Approximately 70% of the '65 GT350's were delivered to the dealers' lots WITHOUT the guardsman blue LeMans stripes!

Granted, a lot of the dealers promptly added them to associate more with the "r" models.............

just sayin' ............

From all of the posts I've read,Chances are he will live vicariously through all of us that have actually pulled the trigger regardless of price.I'll bet I have owned three different Mustangs in the time he has been contemplating one purchase.That doesn't make me better/Smarter than him,But I don't let a few dollars keep me from having fun and LIVING my dreams.Good luck to him.

#1 Red / White stripes

#2 Blue / White stripes

CaptDave

You are very wise. Red with white stripes is the best.

I did, however, go stripe delete on my Aveo.

:hysterical:

You are very wise. Red with white stripes is the best.

I did, however, go stripe delete on my Aveo.

:hysterical:

Good idea about the Aveo. I built up a 1967 Mustang coupe into a street racecar back in 1984. Red with white LeMans stripes. Took 1st place that year at SAAC-10 in the Mustang category. All Mustangs were put in one large group back then. My only 1st place at a national event. I always loved a Mustang with stripes. So when I saw that red/white 2007 Shelby GT500 at the NY autoshow I knew I would get one someday. I just knew it would take a little time.

Looks like the price of used 2007 GT500's are really dropping. Maybe it's time for the little rich kids to get rid of their GT500's and get the next hot car. Anyway, I love the stripes.

CaptDave

Hello all .. love the forum and have to add my 2 cents. I am a NO STRIPE man and here are the reasons why. My first car was purchased when I was 22. It was a black 69 Mustang 428 CobraJet. Great car with great lines and no stripes .. no mods but very fast. When three daughters came along and also a german shepherd it was time to sell the car and go the family vehicle route. But I always longed for the sleek form of the the 69 and 70 fastbacks. IMO the best years ever produced as far as looks go.

When Ford came out with the 05 Mustang I was mildly interested again. They copied a lot of the good-looking shape of the 69 - 70 era. But when Shelby came out with the 07 GT500 I was hooked. I have one on order (hopefully built in this very last week of production) and I ordered it with stripe-delete. I think cars are like good architecture, they should adhere to the axiom of 'form follows function'. In other words, the beauty and shape of a vehicle should stand on its own merits. To add scoops that do not function is like adding decorative pillars at the front of a building that really support nothing. IMO the GT500 has perfect lines and shape and needs nothing to enhance its beauty. Don't be offended when I say that adding the over-the-top stripes is like adding orange flames coming off the front wheel wells. They are not needed, and serve only to attract unwanted attention. I really do not care to advertise my presence from a quarter mile away, and do not want to attract the street racing crowd. I am now 60 years old and just want to drive a fast, beautiful car.

Hope I didn't offend anyone here cuz I know I am in the minority here. Just wanna live the dream.

Bob W

Hello all .. love the forum and have to add my 2 cents. I am a NO STRIPE man and here are the reasons why. My first car was purchased when I was 22. It was a black 69 Mustang 428 CobraJet. Great car with great lines and no stripes .. no mods but very fast. When three daughters came along and also a german shepherd it was time to sell the car and go the family vehicle route. But I always longed for the sleek form of the the 69 and 70 fastbacks. IMO the best years ever produced as far as looks go.

When Ford came out with the 05 Mustang I was mildly interested again. They copied a lot of the good-looking shape of the 69 - 70 era. But when Shelby came out with the 07 GT500 I was hooked. I have one on order (hopefully built in this very last week of production) and I ordered it with stripe-delete. I think cars are like good architecture, they should adhere to the axiom of 'form follows function'. In other words, the beauty and shape of a vehicle should stand on its own merits. To add scoops that do not function is like adding decorative pillars at the front of a building that really support nothing. IMO the GT500 has perfect lines and shape and needs nothing to enhance its beauty. Don't be offended when I say that adding the over-the-top stripes is like adding orange flames coming off the front wheel wells. They are not needed, and serve only to attract unwanted attention. I really do not care to advertise my presence from a quarter mile away, and do not want to attract the street racing crowd. I am now 60 years old and just want to drive a fast, beautiful car.

Hope I didn't offend anyone here cuz I know I am in the minority here. Just wanna live the dream.

Bob W

Perfectly written! I feel the same way, and at some point (I'm only 45), but I don't like the added attention as well (especially when I pushing the south side of a hundy). I wrote previously in this same thread, every boy racer tuner car has those further diluting the look. Also, just like the kit/component Cobras, every one has the stripes, but if you've ever seen one without, of which there are many especially on the original 289's, there is a simple elegance, and damn sexy at the same time! While they're at drop those silly sidepipes and go with the rear exit pipes! But I digress...

Archived