TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear end bearing ?

gassman

I was told on another forum the Ford is out of the GT500 rear end bearings, and the if my mechanic ruins a bearing on my gear swap that he will have to use a reagular GT bearing wich is supposidly smaller than the GT500 bearings. I didn't know the 8.8" rear end had different bearings for each model GT. I am taking my car in tommorrow for the gear swap, is there anything I need to make sure of before I let my mechanic work on the car? When I asked him about this he didn't know Ford had a shortage of GT500 bearings. He also said it should not be a problem because he swaps gears out at least 2-3 times a week and that the 8.8" rear uses same bearings for all models.

My understanding is that the castings are identical on the outside but the 8.8 on the GT500 uses heavier bearings and may also be strengthened in critical areas (according to an early Ford release I remember reading).

I haven't done this swap myself (don't have a GT500), but my understanding is that if you're using a Ford Racing gearset (vs other aftermarket) you should have no problem -- my understanding is that the FRP pieces are factory indexed so the original shimpack will probably even be correct.

If your mechanic is doing several a week, I doubt he'll have any problem. The GT bearing is different, but it will 'fit.'

Dan

I was told on another forum the Ford is out of the GT500 rear end bearings, and the if my mechanic ruins a bearing on my gear swap that he will have to use a reagular GT bearing wich is supposidly smaller than the GT500 bearings. I didn't know the 8.8" rear end had different bearings for each model GT. I am taking my car in tommorrow for the gear swap, is there anything I need to make sure of before I let my mechanic work on the car? When I asked him about this he didn't know Ford had a shortage of GT500 bearings. He also said it should not be a problem because he swaps gears out at least 2-3 times a week and that the 8.8" rear uses same bearings for all models.

The info you were given on the other site is correct.

It sucks.

But it's correct.

Just tell your mechanic to NOT screw up your original bearings when doing the swap and you won't have a problem. Telling him to be careful because they're not available if he wrecks them will hopefully cause him to put in extra time to NOT wreck them.

The GT500 bearing is smaller to "reduce friction" and bearings are not yet avalible to Ford Parts Department according to Mfg. Mfg. said use stock 8.8 bearing and race assy. Remove spacer from behind bearing-race. Had to do this as tech warped stock bearing cage. Worked out just fine, great pattern and no noise.

The GT500 bearing has a greater "thrust angle" but it is shorter than the stock bearing. Is there a difference in performance between the two bearings, or is it just a sales ploy by the bearing manufacture? The GT500 bearing is a proprietary part made by Timken exclusively for Ford. Timken will not release it for sale without Ford's approval. Why doesn't Ford release it for aftermarket or dealer sales? What's the big secret? Ford put the wrong rear axle ratio in the GT500 to begin with. It should have had at least a 3:55. The least they could do is make it easier for owners to correct that error by making the bearing available.

The GT500 bearing has a greater "thrust angle" but it is shorter than the stock bearing. Is there a difference in performance between the two bearings, or is it just a sales ploy by the bearing manufacture? The GT500 bearing is a proprietary part made by Timken exclusively for Ford. Timken will not release it for sale without Ford's approval. Why doesn't Ford release it for aftermarket or dealer sales? What's the big secret? Ford put the wrong rear axle ratio in the GT500 to begin with. It should have had at least a 3:55. The least they could do is make it easier for owners to correct that error by making the bearing available.

My understanding is that the GT500 bearing was designed to take higher thrusttorque loads.

I don't think there's any ploy, it just hasn't been released yet. When the tranny problems were first discovered it took some time to get TR6060s released too -- initially they had to be diverted from the production line. I don't think this is any different. You can't buy it from Timken directly because it's not in their retail parts list because it was built for Ford. Same as you couldn't buy a TR6060 from Tremec either (it didn't even appear in their online product listing). I suspect Ford will release it when the contract supply from Timken can make spares available. That's just a guess and hopefull spares will cycle into parts departments soon, but dunno.

If 3.55s were standard in the GT500 it would have hit the next GG-tax (guzzler) plateau which would apply to all buyers. Since the cost of a gear swap is far cheaper than the next GG plateau I suspect Ford decided it was a win-win to step down to the 3.31s.

Just some thoughts... --Dan

Archived