TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Do you launch in 2nd gear?

I know that among the Viper and Z06 communities, it is commonly talked about. Too much power generated with not enough possibility of traction to launch in 1st gear for a race. So many launch in 2nd gear and get better traction without suffering too much.

Does anyone launch their Shelby in 2nd? Do you see any benefits, or are your 60' times suffering when you do?

Do you feel that stock this is not warranted, but maybe for Stage 3, 4 and higher cars?

viper guys do it because of just that, they're viper guys and there little pushrod motor is only good to what 5.5k? (rpm). u got a mod motor that can one up that, good tires and a good foot, and little experience driving your car will go a long way. theres a first gear for a reason. if your throwing down bigger numbers and looking for speed/time then swap your gears.

6th gear

I tried to launch in 2nd gear yesterday for the hell of it. It sucked. I'll have to try again with the Supersnakes, but with a stock GT500, it was pathetic.

Side note: I don't drag race. I suck at it.

My GT500 is my first real performance car, and I have never drag raced at all. The latter is about to be changed tomorrow evening if the rain clears up, and I thought the same thing. My car is not stock, but I don't have DRs either. I figured a 1st gear launch would be fruitless on stock tires. :unsure:

Archived