TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Kenne Bell or Stick with the Whipple???????????

I am pretty sure I am going with Shelby CS69 20" wheels and at this point think I am going to go with the Shelby GT Plus Brakes. Through a lot of research I am finding many like the Kenne Bell over the Whipple. I am not looking at going to 900 HP like the 2.6 KB can do, is there another advantage? Anyone have a Kenne Bell???????? It is cheaper, but I am not sure if the savings is worth the fact it will not be a Shelby GT/SC from Tasca, where I would get the whipple installed. Looks like I have more research to do. I still have not put on my lower grill or new hood pins so I have time to think.

Ask Pottydr. He just had Kenne Bell installed on his car in Cali. I'm sure he will chime in. He is very happy with the results.

I'm sure if you speak with Dennis at Tasca he could give you some insight and do the install also.

Roger

Yes the Kenne Bell is very impressive looking, They did not do any hacking of the front radiator support, it came with a bolt on adapter that is very clean install, also the pulley doesnt come polished but it takes around 5 mintues to get a very high shine, I dont care if you have a whipple, paxton or a KB somebody will always have more hp and be faster, I went with the KB because of the looks and reputation of Kenne Bell, waiting 9 months on the SAI install of the paxton wore me out, so if your getting a paxton or a whipple for the investment factor, dont waste your time, invest in something besides cars, btw the car pulls very hard the minute you get on the gas, as Lulu say's "carry on gents" Rick

Yes the Kenne Bell is very impressive looking, They did not do any hacking of the front radiator support, it came with a bolt on adapter that is very clean install, also the pulley doesnt come polished but it takes around 5 mintues to get a very high shine, I dont care if you have a whipple, paxton or a KB somebody will always have more hp and be faster, I went with the KB because of the looks and reputation of Kenne Bell, waiting 9 months on the SAI install of the paxton wore me out, so if your getting a paxton or a whipple for the investment factor, dont waste your time, invest in something besides cars, btw the car pulls very hard the minute you get on the gas, as Lulu say's "carry on gents" Rick

The car is looking great Rick. I think all the superchargers out there work well, they all make similar hp numbers, so it comes down as much to personal taste as anything else, at least thats my take on it.

I am pretty sure I am going with Shelby CS69 20" wheels and at this point think I am going to go with the Shelby GT Plus Brakes. Through a lot of research I am finding many like the Kenne Bell over the Whipple. I am not looking at going to 900 HP like the 2.6 KB can do, is there another advantage? Anyone have a Kenne Bell???????? It is cheaper, but I am not sure if the savings is worth the fact it will not be a Shelby GT/SC from Tasca, where I would get the whipple installed. Looks like I have more research to do. I still have not put on my lower grill or new hood pins so I have time to think.

Due to the fact that I was born without any patience what so ever and I'm tired of waiting on Whipple to come out with a 2008 kit (I gave up on Paxton a long time ago), I've been checking out the Kenne Bell also. I really like the look of their polished kits as they polish the intake where Whipple doesn't. I don't care for the yellow stripe on the 4" flex hose between the MAF and the intake tube, but that's really minor and me being petty. I've had KB's 1.7L kit on my 2001 Mustang GT 2V for almost five years now and haven't had any issues at all. They're very reliable in my book!

Ask Pottydr. He just had Kenne Bell installed on his car in Cali. I'm sure he will chime in. He is very happy with the results.

I'm sure if you speak with Dennis at Tasca he could give you some insight and do the install also.

Roger

I highly recommend that you take Roger's advice and speak with Dennis at Tasca. I bet he'll give you some extremely valuable insight regarding the Kenne Bell kit. ;)

The Kenne Bell is a great product but I would go with the whipple for a two reasons. One, according to Ford the FRPP/Whipple takes the engine to it's maximun safe hp level for a stock motor. So if you don't plan on doing anything to the engine, you won't need all the Horsepower the Kenne Bell can deliver. Plus, the Whipple can be tuned to get more HP if you ever want more later. Two, your able to get it done at TASCA and that makes it a True GT/SC and it goes in the Shelby registry.

As of 5/5/08 TASCA's price quote to me was:

$8184.19 for the black whipple

$60 GT/CS srtipes

$100 shipping charge

$429.80 tax

-------------------------------------

$8773.99 Total

TASCA is more expensive than the other mod shops. On 5/6/08 Quantum quoted me $7876.71 for every thing. So if their price is to high and you don't care if it's a true GT/SC, you can probably get it done cheaper some where else. The bottom line is they both are great products and it comes down to personal preference.

Isn't that a couple grand more than the Kenne Bell??? I know the Kenne Bell cost under $6000, I would not think the install would be over $1000, am I missing something.

I think the difference is in how much horsepower do you want at a safe level for an otherwise stock 4.6. If you want to go above that level then the difference is not as clear. The whipple will produce the most amount of low end torque for a stock motor bar none.

I've yet to see anyone post numbers to beat that.

Isn't that a couple grand more than the Kenne Bell??? I know the Kenne Bell cost under $6000, I would not think the install would be over $1000, am I missing something.

Yea, I thought that the Tasca cost was out of line also. I'm having Tampa Bay Shelby install a Intercooled FRPP Black HO Whipple and they are charging me $6079.99 for the blower (right from Shelby's parts catalog), plus $1200 install, plus $509 tax. That's $7789 which is about 1K less than Tasca. The price for doing a Kenne Bell, intercooled satin, was about $500 less. Oh well I guess they can charge more because they are Tasca. I decided to go with the Whipple over the Kenne Bell only becuase it can be purchased from Shelby and there is the chance that I can get the GT/SC stripe and registered if TB Shelby does the install. I'm not worried much about investment since I'll most likely be dead by the time it means anything, it's just that the GT/SC is a nice way to let people know that you have something special under the hood. I know, once you trounce them they will also know but I don't mind doing a bit of bragging for the money it cost to add a blower. I also like the look of the Whipple inlet routing a little better. I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with any of the blowers but that's the one I decided to put my money into. I'm hoping to have it done by months end but if not then within the next few weeks. I'm stoked! Like Rick says it's all about your personal choice. Good luck with your decision. I know it took me a while and I went though the whole spectrum before I decided because they are all good choices.

Yea, I thought that the Tasca cost was out of line also. I'm having Tampa Bay Shelby install a Intercooled FRPP Black HO Whipple and they are charging me $6079.99 for the blower (right from Shelby's parts catalog), plus $1200 install, plus $509 tax. That's $7789 which is about 1K less than Tasca. The price for doing a Kenne Bell, intercooled satin, was about $500 less. Oh well I guess they can charge more because they are Tasca. I decided to go with the Whipple over the Kenne Bell only becuase it can be purchased from Shelby and there is the chance that I can get the GT/SC stripe and registered if TB Shelby does the install. I'm not worried much about investment since I'll most likely be dead by the time it means anything, it's just that the GT/SC is a nice way to let people know that you have something special under the hood. I know, once you trounce them they will also know but I don't mind doing a bit of bragging for the money it cost to add a blower. I also like the look of the Whipple inlet routing a little better. I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with any of the blowers but that's the one I decided to put my money into. I'm hoping to have it done by months end but if not then within the next few weeks. I'm stoked! Like Rick says it's all about your personal choice. Good luck with your decision. I know it took me a while and I went though the whole spectrum before I decided because they are all good choices.

Rumor has it that SAI is working on a ken bell GT/SC option... I'm sticking with the wait for the Paxton because I don't want the boost (and fuel consumption) coming on right away for DD on the street. I would be too inclined to use it and I don't want to go bankrupt with fuel and tires...

Just got a quote for $1500 to install the Kenne Bell. The Unit costs $5799 plus tax, shipping $140, and the $1500 includes dyno testing after the install.

$1500 seems pretty high as well, is that because of the Dyno testing??? Or do all of them do that???

I favor centrifugal blowers, and right now, I am negotiating with ProCharger for a P1SC kit (satin), with 8 PSI of boost and a three core air-to-air heat exchanger. Installed, tuned and back on the pavement for 6K. Estimates of 475 RWHP/450 RWTQ is tempting, and it challenges my setimental affection for a Caroll Shelby signed Paxton.

Anyway...If there were suddenly no such thing as a centrifugal blower, my choice would be the Kenne Bell. Nice solid blower, great customer support (which seems to be waining at SAI).

Just my .02C, gents. Happy motoring!

• 3 weeks later...
I favor centrifugal blowers, and right now, I am negotiating with ProCharger for a P1SC kit (satin), with 8 PSI of boost and a three core air-to-air heat exchanger. Installed, tuned and back on the pavement for 6K. Estimates of 475 RWHP/450 RWTQ is tempting, and it challenges my setimental affection for a Caroll Shelby signed Paxton.

Anyway...If there were suddenly no such thing as a centrifugal blower, my choice would be the Kenne Bell. Nice solid blower, great customer support (which seems to be waining at SAI).

Just my .02C, gents. Happy motoring!

LuLu,

I'm sure you have been asked this before, but why do you prefer the centrifugal blower? On the fence myself...

Thanks, Joe

Archived