TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ground Clearance

Venix

Can someone please tell me what the clearance is from the front spoiler to the ground, on a stock car? The reason why I ask is that when mine finally arrives, I'm concerned I may not be able to get it up my drive way, which is quite steep.

Thanks in advance. :)

Can someone please tell me what the clearance is from the front spoiler to the ground, on a stock car? The reason why I ask is that when mine finally arrives, I'm concerned I may not be able to get it up my drive way, which is quite steep.

I just measured my Stock GT500. It measures 6-1/2 inches in the front center of the air splitter to the concrete floor in my shop. The right and left sides are 6-3/8 inches.

Under fog lights 6.75 in. and middle of of bumper 7-1/8.

Under fog lights 6.75 in. and middle of of bumper 7-1/8.

I have a very steep driveway. The GT500 is the only car I have the doesn't scrape!

The 2000 Mustang, The '65 F-100 (which you can slide under it with a crawler, the '89 SHO, Town & Country, and the Sebring all scrape tailpipes (the truck scrapes the trailer hitch). The '00 Mustang also scrapes up front.

Even though it's the lowest car, the tailpipes are comparitively high (tucked into the bumper) the front suspension is tighter, and it has a pretty short wheelbase.

That may change shortly when the car is lowered. I hope not.

Remember that it's not just the height that's important, it's how far the lowest front edge is from where the wheels contact the ground. The mustang has relatively short front overhang (relative to SN95s for example).

Maybe someone can give you a measure from an imaginary line connecting the leading edge of the two front contact patchs to where a plump bob from the front splitter tip touches the ground (if that makes sense). That distance is key, imo.

I'd measure it for you but don't have a GT500 :cry: (oh, well). ;-)

Good luck!!!

Dan

Hmmm... After comparing those measurements against my other cars, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get it up my drive way. My lowest car sits 7.5 in at the front, and it only just makes it....
Remember that it's not just the height that's important, it's how far the lowest front edge is from where the wheels contact the ground. The mustang has relatively short front overhang (relative to SN95s for example).

That's what I was saying: My GT500 is certainly the lowest (it must be a foot or more lower than the truck) but it does NOT scrape.

Maybe someone can give you a measure from an imaginary line connecting the leading edge of the two front contact patchs to where a plump bob from the front splitter tip touches the ground (if that makes sense). That distance is key, imo.

I'd measure it for you but don't have a GT500 :cry: (oh, well). ;-)

Good luck!!!

Dan

Without knowing what the distance is on the GT500, just looking at photos I'm guessing it will be longer than my other cars though I would love for this to not be the case! Would someone mind measuring theirs? :unsure:

Without knowing what the distance is on the GT500, just looking at photos I'm guessing it will be longer than my other cars though I would love for this to not be the case! Would someone mind measuring theirs? :unsure:

I will. Hold on for a couple minutes.

OK.

I just measured it.

From the front of the tires to the tip of the front splitter is 28 inches.

You are absolutely wonderful, Grabber. Thank you so much :drool:

I'll go and compare that to my others and let you know how it fairs.

You are absolutely wonderful, Grabber. Thank you so much :drool:

I'll go and compare that to my others and let you know how it fairs.

I hope those measurements prove your driveway to be "in the clear".

If not, What is plan "B" ?

Sell the house and move ? :fear:

I hope those measurements prove your driveway to be "in the clear".

If not, What is plan "B" ?

Sell the house and move ? :fear:

Unfortunately one of my other cars is at 21 in. :mellow:

I'll wait until I get it I guess and then figure out what to do.

Plan "B"? Selling the house and moving did cross my mind, for a fleeting moment :) Plan "B" will be determined by how much the clearance is out. If it's only a small amount, I'll see if I can do anything to my driveway to help.

Plan "C" will consist of renting a garage somewhere just for the car.... Not something I'm keen on, but I'm not going to leave it parked in the street either. :banghead:

Are you thinking of possibly jack hammering out your driveway and pouring it back at different grade / slope ?

Is it just your approach apron, or is it the main incline off of the approach apron ?

If you approach your driveway at an angle instead of head on, you should be able to make it up your drive way without scrapping. if I enter or exit a steep drive way at an angle I don't scrape, only if I go straight on do I scrape, and then if I scrape it is only the front, I have never scraped my tail pipes,but then again I am still stock height.

Are you thinking of possibly jack hammering out your driveway and pouring it back at different grade / slope ?

Is it just your approach apron, or is it the main incline off of the approach apron ?

It's more the main incline after the approach. The point where the two meet is the particularly nasty part.

I'd look at raising the height of that in between area so it's more gradual and not so sharp, and I'd get some steel plates made up to put at the point where the curb meets the road to get the car higher from that point. If all that makes sense...

If you approach your driveway at an angle instead of head on, you should be able to make it up your drive way without scrapping. if I enter or exit a steep drive way at an angle I don't scrape, only if I go straight on do I scrape, and then if I scrape it is only the front, I have never scraped my tail pipes,but then again I am still stock height.

I'll have a go at going up on an angle. I really hope something works out, short of destroying my driveway and redoing it (or moving house).

It's only the front I'm concerned about as the rear sits so much higher and therefore should be fine from what others have said.

It's more the main incline after the approach. The point where the two meet is the particularly nasty part.

I'd look at raising the height of that in between area so it's more gradual and not so sharp, and I'd get some steel plates made up to put at the point where the curb meets the road to get the car higher from that point. If all that makes sense...

It makes sense to me. I am in Construction.

The problem is with adding concrete to the transition area. It never wants to stick. It always cracks and falls apart real quick.

The only way to do it right and have it last, is to cut out the area in question, and then pour it back.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but I have been doing this for almost 30 years.

It makes sense to me. I am in Construction.

The problem is with adding concrete to the transition area. It never wants to stick. It always cracks and falls apart real quick.

The only way to do it right and have it last, is to cut out the area in question, and then pour it back.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but I have been doing this for almost 30 years.

Cool :) Thanks Grabber. I'll do what you suggest and cut that area out. The work is good timing as later on in the year I'm looking at re-surfacing the driveway so any kind of 'patchiness' like that will get covered up in that process.

+1 - Have (2) Vipers which are MUCH lower than my GT500 and pulling in or out at at angle works. I'd try this before any drive modifications.

+2 on entering at an angle. Even though the GT500 doesn't scrape, that's how I get all my other cars up the hill.

IF you plan on modifying the driveway, you will be well advised to play with graph paper and car cutouts, and survey the slope before literally setting your plan in concrete.

We had a guy who repoured his driveway here to level out the transition from the road. That part worked, but what happened is it made the middle part of the driveway steeper and the transition at the top worse. Now, instead of scraping at the street, he scrapes about 10' into the driveway and bottoms out going over the top into the garage.

Thanks for the added confidence, oilman :)

Aussie, it's a real pain, because I was wanting to do just that!

mciarochi, you mention some very interesting points to note. I'll certainly plan on paper before hand. Thank you for the tips!

Morning Venix or is it night..............

Yes they look great lowered, mine has the Eibach Prokit, but I really recommend experiencing the lowered ride before you dive in. It really sits very solid on the road. It's great on American freeways, but Canadian and Aussie roads is a different story.

In saying that though I dont regret it being lowered.

Anyway, hope you figure out the driveway issue.

You must be soooooooo looking forward to that boat by now. Has it left Nth America yet?

Good luck.

Yes they look great lowered, mine has the Eibach Prokit, but I really recommend experiencing the lowered ride before you dive in. It really sits very solid on the road. It's great on American freeways, but Canadian and Aussie roads is a different story.

You must be soooooooo looking forward to that boat by now. Has it left Nth America yet?

Good luck.

Good luck.

Evening Aussie :) (it's night - almost 11pm).

I've seen quite a few pictures of them lowered and I agree that they do look fantastic lowered. A lot of people talk about the Ebach setup so I'm assuming it must be considered to be one of the better kits. Are Australian and Canadian freeways that bad?

Unfortunately the boat hasn't left yet. The car is sitting at the docks waiting! I can't wait for the next update telling me it has left and is on its way!! :happy feet:

I'm also hoping it leaves verrrrry soon as I want it in the country by the 1st July as luxury car tax goes up then - from 25% to 33% as a result of tonights federal budget.

All these things you have to look forward to when you go back to Brissie :)

Archived