TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT #117 Dyno numbers

Ran the girl on the Dyno at QP today and I can live with the numbers. Actually they were pretty good. 4:10 gears and a Hypertech tuner on an otherwise factory car pulled me 288.79 RWHP and 303.97 RWTQ.

Generally speaking, gears don't mean much in a dyno test.

I don't think you're getting good service from the Hypertech tuner, you might consider SCT or Diablo for an improved tune. When I did my "bone stock" dyno last year, I made 275 RWHP and 302 RWTQ, and this is 3 pulls totaled and averaged, not the highest number.

Your numbers are not much higher for having a tune on the EEC.

Just my .02C, carry on gents.

13.79 hp gain is not much more? What should he expect w/ SCT or Diablo?

I can't say, every car will be different on a dyno. Moreover, the exact same car will deliver different numbers on different dynos. It's just a test, an index of potential. It's not the final word on who will be quicker.

There more to this than meets the eye, from strap down tension to tire PSI. Options include style of dyno, from an eddy-current style, to the venerable DynoJet. Then there is the dyno setup. Portable, in-ground, and above ground. They all produce different numbers from the static car. Then there is the DynaPack, which attaches directly to the axle replacing the power sapping rear tires. There is much, much more to it, read up here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamometer

The single principle that hasn't changed, is that torque moves the car. Horsepower does not. As a performance index produced by any dyno test, horsepower is more of a "measuring stick" of potential, but the real deal is torque numbers. Torque is what you should be watching (and building), horsepower will follow.

So...Look at this way. If I pulled 302.1 RWTQ from a completely bone stock SGT, and Stump pulled a 303.97 RWTQ with a HyperTech tune, something is not working in his favor for the bucks involved. While I cannot speak for SCT or Diablo tune potential, I am sure an answer is one phone call/e-mail away.

Just doesn't seem right to me that Stump poured some hard earned dollars into his SGT, and got less than 2 pounds of torque out of the deal.

Well, the Hypertech was never bought because it's an agressive tune. In fact it was bought because it was the least expensive for changing the gear ratio.

I really don't care anyway. Those are nice numbers for an N/A car with a mild tune - more then what I expected especially since QP told me they Dyno'd two Bullits and they only got 26x RWHP. TQ unknown.

LuLu, you're right about the torque - I was more focused on the apparent HP gains, which looked pretty darn good to me. This would mean that Stump has approx. 330 hp at the flywheel based on the thumbnail 1.15 factor. I guess, as for the dyno numbers, we would need to have your and Stump's cars at the same dyno, same time to get a factual comparison.

If you can get a 12.5-12.8 on the upper rpms you can pick up more HP and TQ . The numbers are actually pretty good for a off the shelf tune. I think the throttle responce alone is worth the price of admission with a tuner.

Archived