TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby plaque - color fading

Shelby2809

I bought a Shelby GT a few weeks ago and smile every time I step on the gas. On the dash plaque though some of the paint has faded off and it is getting to me. Does Shelby sell small bottles of the paint to match factory colors on the plaque? It looks like the previous owner may have sprayed detailing fluids on the plaque and it lost color... or maybe windex???

Anyway, this could also be a warning, be careful with fluids around your plaque. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

Good warning; I learned long ago never to to near stuff like that with windex or similar products; best to use the old "damp cloth" if necessary.

edit - in fact, I haven't touched that plaque since my SGT purchase a year ago!

I have a theory that the dash plaques from the middle of the run are kind of dull looking. When I got mine (#3040) I thought it just needed to be wiped off a little since it was not nearly as bright and colorful as the ones on the other cars I had looked at with higher CSM numbers. However, that just seems to be the way it is...

I have a theory that the dash plaques from the middle of the run are kind of dull looking. When I got mine (#3040) I thought it just needed to be wiped off a little since it was not nearly as bright and colorful as the ones on the other cars I had looked at with higher CSM numbers. However, that just seems to be the way it is...

mine is 1315 and it has been that way from the get go. not sure if it was tampered with, it never sat on the lot, think it was just poor to begin with

I met a new friend from Team Shelby in Reno, NV today My car is 470 and Randy's is in the 4000 range and it did seem that my plaque was a little brighter color than his. I thought it was just my imagination. What a beautiful car he has!

I bought a Shelby GT a few weeks ago and smile every time I step on the gas. On the dash plaque though some of the paint has faded off and it is getting to me. Does Shelby sell small bottles of the paint to match factory colors on the plaque? It looks like the previous owner may have sprayed detailing fluids on the plaque and it lost color... or maybe windex???

Anyway, this could also be a warning, be careful with fluids around your plaque. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

Windex, you say? Let me check on something...

...nope, Stump still has his SGT, so that's not it. :hysterical:

Sorry, but I have no information on how to fix it, though I will confirm that my car (07SGT4990) has a brighter-looking plaque than did the first car that I ordered (just under 2000, I think) but did not buy (still at stealership last time I checked...and still had $7K ADM on the window).

Good luck.

I bought 07SGT2940 new from a local dealership in 12/07. Viewed from certain angles and lighting, my plaque looks like the paint has chipped off in spots. Head on it looks fine. Optical illusion?

As for cleaning, I'm a big fan of the damp cloth for anything painted or plastic. You never know what chemicals are in cleaners and how they will react with what you're cleaning. I once ruined simulated wood grain dash trim with a cleaner on a Chevy Blazer.

Note to Shelby 2809- That smile doesn't go way. It just gets bigger with the more miles you drive.

Erik

I gave my plaque a coating of Krylon Clear UV. Its available at any crafts store. Krylon 1305 is the Gloss UV-Resistant Clear Acrylic Coating. Krylon 1309 is the Matte UV-Resistant Clear Acrylic Coating.

I like the gloss really makes it pop and easy to dust off.

Hope this helps

Supe

This is a picture of my plaque, see how the paint is gone in some area's? This is the problem I'm referring to. If Shelby sells the paint or can tell us what the colors are I can touch it up. Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

Mine looks just like yours. I'm also a model railraoder for 35+ years. I know I could play around with my various model paints and match the blue. It would be nice to a able to have a factory touch up pen or something though.

Erik

07SGT2940

Hey guys,

I uncovered my SGT2940 last night to try the Krylon. I first wiped down my plaque with a damp cloth. The "paint chips" in my plaque lettering seemed to move around inside the engravings. My light colored chips were apparenty dried flakes from some sort of cleaner the dealer used when he delivered my car. I took a Q-Tip in rubbing alcohol and cleaned out all of the lettering. What a difference.

I am still going to do the UV Krylon, too. My train modeling experiance has taught me that any clear finish will bring out all of the colors equally. The clear reflects the light equally where each color will reflect differently.

Erik

07SGT2940

Archived