TEAM SHELBY FORUM

is this a good time?

1218shelby

o.k. I've been to Irwindale Speedway 3 times and i've never been below the 9's in the 1/8 mile. My car is all bone stock with street tires. The best i got was yesterday @ 9.416 .. is that a good time? how much more will it help me if i get drag radials?

o.k. I've been to Irwindale Speedway 3 times and i've never been below the 9's in the 1/8 mile. My car is all bone stock with street tires. The best i got was yesterday @ 9.416 .. is that a good number? how much more will it help me if i get drag radials?

Not going to say what is best but I can tell you some experience I had drag racing a buddy with another SGT. ...

He ran 17" drag radials and 4:10 gears with the rest being bone stock. My SGT is bone stock except for a Steeda UDP. He would beat me off the line every time, but he would be caught and passed by the 1/8 mile marker. 9 or 10 runs - same result every time.

Moral? I think drag radials do make a difference, but HP and gear selection is more important.

so what gears do you guys recommend i get? 3.90's or 4.10's?

Depends on the finish line. If you're going a full 1/4 then I'd go with a 4:10. The track we raced at was 1000ft so I didnt' have to shift to 4th, but he did.

It took me 4 times to realize you were talking about the 1/8 mile. I kept reading 9.4 seconds with a stock SGT on the 1/4 mile - how is that possible. LOL.

Anyway I would assume you would see a substantial chance with slicks.

Before you go for a gear consider these questions. What is the elavation, track conditions, 60ft. times and what RPM do you shift at? I say practice,practice practice. Try different rpm launchs,put a little dry heat in the tires with a small burnout. I also think drag radials will hide a bad driver. Learn to drive it right and it will respond. This will take time and alot of patience. Just my.02

well i want something i can drive on the fwy... i want to drive on the tract...something that will give me speed but also i can drive on a daily basis..

If you are going to drive it every day you will have to live with more noise, higher rpm, more wear, and less miles per gallon if you lower the gear ratio to 3.9 or 4.10. You will also lower the top speed.

Archived