TEAM SHELBY FORUM

89 octane - oh no?

So, I let my wife drive the Shelby yesterday as I really needed a hunting trip and room to buy some corn and dog food etc. She has only driven it 2 times in the past 5 months but really enjoys the power. Anyway - she told me last night that she filled it up with gas and asked 'what kind does it use'! ! !? She filled it with mid-grade 89 octane. Is this really a problem or not at all. thanks

Jay

At least she used the mid grade stuff. If it were me, I would go down to the auto parts store and buy a bottle of the octane booster and add it to the fuel to up the octane level.

Ping + fixed disp S/C = yikes! imo

Yeah, if it's stock not too much of a worry ...just take her easy and listen for any trace of ping; if modded/tuned definately no WOT, imo, and get some Torco booster asap (speed shops often carry it) until you can use up the 89 and get some 91/93 in her.

Detonation with a fixed disp S/C is flirting with a hole in a piston or post-4902-1210356990.gif

If you have a tractor/mower, you can siphon the 89 into a couple of 6 gal Blix containers and use it for mowing so you won't have this on your head for the next couple hundred miles ...just a thought.

post-4902-1210356990.gif

Don't fall for the octane booster gag . . .. Do the math - it will boost your octane by ~0.1 point per bottle (in a full tank). Get a couple of gallons of toluene from the hardware store. It's 112 octane and linear - but your economy will be crap until it burns up that tank of blend.

Toluene will work, just don't want to breath much of it. It's the primary ingredient in a many octane boosters. Here's more info on it and precisely how much is needed for a target octane improvement.

I don't know what Torco Octane Booster is but it is trusted by many racers and widely used.

Well, it happened right before we took it on a long (500 mile) road trip. Thanks for all the advice. I set the cruise on 77 (2000 rpm) and ran that tank of gas to almost empty. Filled up with premium and ran that tank 1/2 way before filling again with premium. Of course then I got pulled over by Texas finest (Department of Public Safety). Radar said 78 in a 70 and of course I have no front licensce plate - you have to have 2 in Texas!. Anyway, got off with 2 warnings, NO TICKET. Also, never heard any pinging and though I can't keep her in the kitchen - she knows what to put in the SHELBY now.

Well, it happened right before we took it on a long (500 mile) road trip. Thanks for all the advice. I set the cruise on 77 (2000 rpm) and ran that tank of gas to almost empty. Filled up with premium and ran that tank 1/2 way before filling again with premium. Of course then I got pulled over by Texas finest (Department of Public Safety). Radar said 78 in a 70 and of course I have no front licensce plate - you have to have 2 in Texas!. Anyway, got off with 2 warnings, NO TICKET. Also, never heard any pinging and though I can't keep her in the kitchen - she knows what to put in the SHELBY now.

Lucky guy! I got pulled over Sunday in Garza County for doing 78 in a 70 and they gave me the ticket. Now to do some def driving class :banghead:

Archived