TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Porter Cable 7424....any recommendations on which pads to use?

Any particular brand? I went to a couple detailing seminars, one of them by Adam's Car Care. I really liked what I saw, but before I pull the trigger and order a bunch of stuff I wanted some opinions. I am a detailing fanatic, but owning this car has just propelled it to new heights. Also, anyone have any ways to get rid of water spots on their stripes? I have a couple on my hood that are bugging the crap out of me :( If it was paint it would be no problem, but I am scared to touch the vinyl with anything I would use on paint...

Or should I just stick to doing it all by hand?

Personally CR, I would just stick to detailing the car by hand. Unless you are seeing swirl marks in your clearcoat, I don't think that you need to use an orbital buffer on the car just yet.

As far as the water spots on the vinyl stripes, you might try clay baring them, that usually does the trick.

I figured on the doing it by hand. Never used a machine before, wasn't sure on the benefits, if any. I had a '98 Tacoma, dark green, that had been 4 wheeled to hell and back, driven 1.5k miles a month, and had amazing paint. I had to work to keep it that way, but it was worth it, and I want to do the same with this car. I tried using a clay bar, didn't help :( I might hit it again, but there has to be something else worth trying?

To screw up your paint with a 7424 you have to really be trying to do it.

I only use the white pads and buy them off of Ebay made by Lake Country but sold by everyone. Just use the pads and not the bonnets that go over them. They will SHRED your expensive pads. Also never use terry cloth on the black gel coat.

I dedicate one to leveling, one to applying wax and one for buffing.

Of course recently I used Mequiars cleaner wax and that stuff comes off great by hand with a microfiber towel.

I don;t know how any car person lives without a 7424 :D

I figured on the doing it by hand. Never used a machine before, wasn't sure on the benefits, if any. I had a '98 Tacoma, dark green, that had been 4 wheeled to hell and back, driven 1.5k miles a month, and had amazing paint. I had to work to keep it that way, but it was worth it, and I want to do the same with this car. I tried using a clay bar, didn't help :( I might hit it again, but there has to be something else worth trying?

If the water spots have become indellible into the vinyl, then you will probably have to have them replaced under warranty. Other owners have had the same problem, and no matter what they tried or used to clean the spot off, nothing worked and they ended up replacing their stripes.

One other thing...you should use some kind of UV protection on them too. If ICE does not offer UV protection, then I recommend that you use Aerospace Protectant 303 or Plexus on your stripes, as those products are designed to protect vinyl from UV damage.

We had a Mequiars Rep do a demo for the Mustang club several years ago and used their random orbital buffer. The rep gave us the generic Porter Cable number of #7335. I was a tool dealer at the time and probably picked up around 12 for friends and family for x0mas and birthday presents. I would be lost without mine. Dedicate 1 pad per product and as the pads wear you can go down from #3 pad and use it as #2 pad but never go the other way. I use Mequiars Premium Paint Cleaner on #1 pad, Meguiars #7 Show Car Polish on #2 pad, and finish up with Meguiars Premium Paint Protection on #3 pad. The Meguiars pads became a little pricey until I noticed the Porter Cable white foam pads could be bought cheaper and work fine. If you cn find a friend or rep anywhere around that can buy these at an employees price they can be had for just a little over $9.00 as opposed to almost $14.00 for the Mequiars pad. Run you buffer on about #4 to 4 1/2 and have fun. You will never do it by hand again.

Gary

To screw up your paint with a 7424 you have to really be trying to do it.

I only use the white pads and buy them off of Ebay made by Lake Country but sold by everyone. Just use the pads and not the bonnets that go over them. They will SHRED your expensive pads. Also never use terry cloth on the black gel coat.

I dedicate one to leveling, one to applying wax and one for buffing.

Of course recently I used Mequiars cleaner wax and that stuff comes off great by hand with a microfiber towel.

I don;t know how any car person lives without a 7424 :D

+1 - try www.topoftheline.com, sell everything for the Porter Cable, prices seem to be good, very fast shipper. Don't waste $ on bonnets, pads ONLY! Does a GREAT job!

+1 - try http://www.topoftheline.com - sell everything for the Porter Cable, prices seem to be good, very fast shipper. Don't waste $ on bonnets, pads ONLY! Does a GREAT job!

My favorite place to shop!

I absolutely love their levelers.

Their trade secret wax is unbelievable as well but I don't use it. I'll order in the future but I have too many on the shelf at home right now.

I had a detailing guy recommend something to me to get a stubborn water spot off of vinyl striping....I am going to test it on the striping above the chin splitter. I figure its a 1 1/2" section of striping near the ground, and if it scratches it then it will be extremely hard to notice, and cheapest to restripe :P

It involves the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I am scared.

Adams wax makes a slick pad that has polish pad on one side and wax on the other you just flip it and snap in place. I was talking to the folks at Griot about it the other day at a show and they're polisher wants one for himself lol

Archived