TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Night at the Local Dragstrip

Well...Finally got some time last Tuesday night to attend the local drag strip test and tune session

with my 68 302 Mustang. Over the winter the 68 was changed over to a T5 5-spd with Ram Clutch

Hurst short throw shifter, 2.5" exhaust with 2 chamber flowmasters, electronic ignition rather

than dual points, as well as new rear leafs with Energy poly bushings and heavy duty shackles.

Also changed the drivers broken motor mount through all this.

First pass, left kinda easy and was somewhat conservative going down the track. This yielded

a 13.7 pass at about 110 mph. Second pass, decided to launch a bit harder and rap each gear

a little more. Well,....after the burnout, I staged and felt the idle stumble a bit, thought nothing of it.

Green light, left fairly hard, grabbing each gear with determination that we'll make a faster pass.

grab 3rd gear, speedo sweeping near 80mph, when all of a sudden I feel a thump followed by a

cascade of water and coolant soaking the windshield. About 2/3 down the track the engine stalls

with just enough gumption to get off the track and on the return road. Upon opening the hood, I find

a steambath of hot water and coolant dripping everywhere, the fan shroud disintegrated and the

upper radiator hose dissected in half from a 4000+ RPM fan. After a few minutes and much rag

drying, the car started but just resulted in more coolant spray and more engine stalling.

Not only did the engine and fan list as the motor mount broke and took out the hose, the fan

crushed and crimped the upper hose attachment. What a mess !! Wound up getting it home about

1am to verify the sheared motor mount. Thats the 2nd time the left motor mount failed...

guess, too much torque. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHO/WHAT SMALL BLOCK FORD ENGINE MOUNTS

WILL HOLD UP ? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

th_68MustangX002.jpg

Thanks,

ItalianStallion

Well...Finally got some time last Tuesday night to attend the local drag strip test and tune session

with my 68 302 Mustang. Over the winter the 68 was changed over to a T5 5-spd with Ram Clutch

Hurst short throw shifter, 2.5" exhaust with 2 chamber flowmasters, electronic ignition rather

than dual points, as well as new rear leafs with Energy poly bushings and heavy duty shackles.

Also changed the drivers broken motor mount through all this.

First pass, left kinda easy and was somewhat conservative going down the track. This yielded

a 13.7 pass at about 110 mph. Second pass, decided to launch a bit harder and rap each gear

a little more. Well,....after the burnout, I staged and felt the idle stumble a bit, thought nothing of it.

Green light, left fairly hard, grabbing each gear with determination that we'll make a faster pass.

grab 3rd gear, speedo sweeping near 80mph, when all of a sudden I feel a thump followed by a

cascade of water and coolant soaking the windshield. About 2/3 down the track the engine stalls

with just enough gumption to get off the track and on the return road. Upon opening the hood, I find

a steambath of hot water and coolant dripping everywhere, the fan shroud disintegrated and the

upper radiator hose dissected in half from a 4000+ RPM fan. After a few minutes and much rag

drying, the car started but just resulted in more coolant spray and more engine stalling.

Not only did the engine and fan list as the motor mount broke and took out the hose, the fan

crushed and crimped the upper hose attachment. What a mess !! Wound up getting it home about

1am to verify the sheared motor mount. Thats the 2nd time the left motor mount failed...

guess, too much torque. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHO/WHAT SMALL BLOCK FORD ENGINE MOUNTS

WILL HOLD UP ? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

th_68MustangX002.jpg

Thanks,

ItalianStallion

Found these motor mounts through Total Control Products. Hopefully, this should solve the breakage problem.

th_Mount.jpg

ItalianStallion

Archived