TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stripe Delete???

nite

Tried a search, but didn't turn up anything on this topic (maybe a sign that it's a bad idea?)...

Has anyone deleted their stripes altogether? I'm considering more of a stealth look and figure if I replace the hood and store the stock hood away, I can just buy a new stripe kit and keep that on hand with the stock hood (for resale purposes), then safely delete the stripes for a while. What say ye?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tried a search, but didn't turn up anything on this topic (maybe a sign that it's a bad idea?)...

Has anyone deleted their stripes altogether? I'm considering more of a stealth look and figure if I replace the hood and store the stock hood away, I can just buy a new stripe kit and keep that on hand with the stock hood (for resale purposes), then safely delete the stripes for a while. What say ye?

But then it would just be a GT with a FRPP handling pack.

I'm thinking you will go through hell to get a replacement set of stripes.Not to sure about no stripes on the Shelby GT.Guess I'd just have to see it.Thinking I personally would leave them on.

I have been debating this issue since the day I bought the SGT. I am not a big fan of stripes.

My problem is I am worried that removing the stripes from the plastic bumpers may cause the paint to peel also. I understand that the glue used on our stripes is pretty strong. And I don't believe the plastic bumpers give as much adherance(?) for the paint.

If I ever had the stripes put back on, I would probably have them painted rather than vinyl

Lastly, your hood scoop would need to be re-painted as they are painted silver from SAI and only the center, body color stripe is a decal.

Post up some pics and any tips if you decide to do it.

If I remove the stripes, I think I will leave the rocker stripes in place.

Especially with the scoop/stripe issues, I have thought about deleting the over the top stripes and leaving the rocker panel stripes also. I would probably be accused of driving a clone instead of the real deal, but it would still be a beautiful car. Even though my car is stored inside, I suspect the stripes won't last but a few years. There are a lot of threads with stripes staining/spotting or peeling on relatively new cars. I will probably strip mine when they start looking crappy. If someone else is the guinea pig and posts pics that convince me that it still looks great without them, I may speed that timetable up.

Great responses, guys! Thanks!

Pilot, it's funny that mention someone has a CS6 hood and stripe delete, 'cause that's exactly what I was planning on doing (either that, or an OEM hood). I hope that guy finds this thread and shows off his ride, as I'd love to see it!

I never really considered leaving the side stripes. If I do it, I'll do it all the way (as long as I know it's a Shelby, I don't really care who else does).

rnoggle, if you have the stripes removed correctly, the paint underneath will not be an issue, even on the bumpers. I'm planning having my body guys do it. He'll use a heat gun and hopefully they'll all come off in single pieces. Quick buff and all the paint should be pretty even as well.

Soon as I get my new hood, I'm gonna go ahead and do this. If I end up not liking it, I've got some other tricks up my sleeve...

Nite,

I think no stripes and a CS hood would look TOTALLY BITCHIN! I say follow your heart and make your car your own. I am doing alot of appearance work on mine too. Not everyone will agree with my taste but I will make my car totally mine. Do what feels right to you (to thine own self be true).

Have fun,

Stephen Vick

Nite,

I think no stripes and a CS hood would look TOTALLY BITCHIN! I say follow your heart and make your car your own. I am doing alot of appearance work on mine too. Not everyone will agree with my taste but I will make my car totally mine. Do what feels right to you (to thine own self be true).

Have fun,

Stephen Vick

Thanks for the encouragement, Stephen! Exactly how feel. I've never had a car that I didn't customize and even though Shelby gave me very nice head start, I'm not about to change my modus operandi now.

I'm not sure whose car this is. I saved the pic from the site here a while back. Exactly the look I'm hoping for.

That's it, rnoggle! Very sweet! And it's convinced me that the look will be much cleaner with the side stripes deleted as well.

Thanks for the pic!

Paul

Easy answer... Because the Bullitt isn't an SGT. IMO, the stripes & scoop alone do not make the car what it is and as long as hold onto the stock parts for later resale, I don't see an issue with toning it down a bit while I'M driving it. Most people prefer to let others know that they're driving something special; I prefer more of a low-key look, and couldn't care less about people knowing that it's special. TEHO.

gallery_10573_401_46287.jpg

That is the one.

I agree if you want to change or delete the stripes go ahead. It is your car and the silver can be replaced if need be. Perhaps take your car to a graphic place that can trace or copy the Shelby GT on your rocker just in case SAI won't sell you the stripe at a later date.

If I had a white car I would seriously consider blue stripes. I know it isn't pure Shelby GT but it would make my Shelby GT that much closer to the 1966 GT350 I fell in love with as a kid. It is a long story why I don't have white.

I even have an idea for my black car when the stripes need to be replaced which I also expect will happen sooner rather then later.

I have a GT 500 and I took them off. It was a piece of cake and it didn't do anything to the paint. However, depending on how long your stripes have been on you might have some "ghosting". Mine were only on for 6 mo or less before I took them off and the only place I see "ghosting" is the trunk lid, but you really have to look hard.

I just started at a corner, then used a hair dryer to warm it a little, and it peeled right off. I read somewhere it's like electrical tape and I'd agree. After I did a section I used rubbing alcohol to clean off any residue left behind.

HTH

Saleen 89-215

Perhaps take your car to a graphic place that can trace or copy the Shelby GT on your rocker just in case SAI won't sell you the stripe at a later date.

Pilot, you caught on to my plan! I know a graphics guy that does much more difficult stuff than these stripes, so they'll be a piece of cake for him. I'm planning on having cut me the silver (to keep on hand), as well as a couple of other custom colors, in case I get bored. ;)

I had new rocker stripes made, very easy to do, they came out a perfect match, any decent decal shop can do it and they are very easy to trace and scan, Rick

Thanks for the confirmation! I figured I wouldn't have any problem getting the stripes made correctly, and the quote I got was MUCH cheaper than the Ford/SGT prices (same 3M material). :happy feet:

Here's an Idea... If I had the means I would do this in a heartbeat.

Paint the stripes and have the stripe area airbrushed with some fancifull design like real fire or ghost skulls. That would be too wicked!

I fully support the idea of making it your own if that is what makes you happy! Life is short and these cars should be enjoyed. For me that means leaving the factory stripes on the car. But to each his own, I never get tired of seeing pics of what others have done!

Haven't considered stripe delete, but had considered painted stripes.

ditto.

but i may wait till they are worn or faded.

as far as my hail damage repair i'll just have it replaced with new vinyl stripes for now. try to keep my car original as i can while its new. i guess when my SGT gets old and worn out i wont care by then. i'll just have a custom paint job on it with a big running mustang painted on the hood trampling over little broken chevy bowtie symbols in the dirt :spiteful:

ooooh that would be cool on a Bronco...with a painting of a bronco instead of a mustang

Archived