TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Five Oh B gets blown...

Five Oh B

This is basically what I was considering - the XDS rotors with better pads and new SS lines. Now I gotta convince my wife that I "have to" have better brakes now. I'm assuming these are the 1-piece rotors which would be fine for my car.

Hey Brian,

Yep - 1-Piece OEM size rotors.

Page

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Five-Oh - any further comments on the new found h.p.? Throttle response? Traction issues? (I have some) M.P.G.?

Hey, Ruf, I gave up on the Vortech-supplied tune as it was really tame (even though it was 420hp and a big improvement over stock). Plus, their tune couldn't handle how fast the converter and 4.10 gears were pushing the car to redline and hitting the rev limiter. They also capped the redline at 6,000 rpm's (with a lot of power still being made past that!). Also had a tiny bit of pinging at WOT (last thing you want in a supercharged car!).

Their tune was locked, so I grabbed my original Diablo tuner and picked a similar supercharger from the mod menu, and I've been dialing in my own tune for now until I can have a dyno tune done. Pulled a bunch of timing and added fuel in all ranges, but pulled too much timing (to be safe) and lost probably 20-30hp per my butt-o-meter. Added more fuel so I could run more timing and my butt-o-meter tells me I've picked up 40-50hp. I've got it ping-free, even with a heavy load on the motor, so I feel safe with the tune. Probably running a bit more rich than I need to, but I don't want to risk blowing up the motor. Also, bumped the shift points up to 6,200 rpm's (in drive) and raised the rev limiter to 6,900 rpm's (so I can shift around 6,500 rpm's and still have room to avoid bumping the rev limiter). Tuning sure is a higher art form, and I have a high respect for the good tuners out there who can work their magic (as it ain't easy!).

Without dyno time yet, I would have to guess we're at about 450hp (at the crank) by the feel of things. I have to ease into the throttle in 1st and 2nd gear, otherwise I'm driving sideways on dry pavement. Pulling out into traffic takes a lot of caution. Plenty of power to merge instantly, but walking a thin line between throttle input and spinning wildly. Car hooks up pretty good in 3rd and 4th gears, although at wide open throttle it'll spin into 3rd and lurch/chirp hard into 4th gear. I may have to put the drag radials on permanently for safer driving!

Fuel economy really took a hit (about 3 mpg all around). Keep in mind that the big stall converter makes the car flash into high rpm's with any decent throttle input, which induces boost. Playing in town romping on the pedal gets me about 9-10 mpg. If I drive normally with minimal converter flash and boost, it's about 12-13 mpg in town. On the highway at a steady 65 mph cruise, it's 20 mpg. Not terrible considering the horsepower that's on tap! Good thing my commute is only 4 miles to work.

Can't wait for a good dyno tune and some track time. The way the car sits today I feel confident I could easily run 7.90's @ 87+ in the 1/8 mile and 12.30's @ 110+ in the 1/4 mile. The miles per hour really builds as the revs rise, so it is really deceiving how fast the car is unless you watch the tach & speedo closely. The stock brakes are just not cutting it anymore, so I'll need an upgrade soon. Gotta save up a few bucks and call Page at Stillen soon!

Overall, this has been the best mod ever. It takes an already quick car and turns it into a beast. At 450hp (crank) and 3,700 lbs (including me), it's got a weight to hp ratio of 8.2 lbs/hp. A stock GT500, for comparison, would be 500 hp (crank) pushing 4,100 lbs (with driver) for an identical ratio. And that's plenty powerful for a daily driven street car!

MAN I wish you lived closer Brian :) Nothing I like more than taking a ride in (or driving) a nice high HP car :) Havent been in a car set up for the drag strip in probably 10 years (since I sold my '72 Camaro - all straight line all business) :)

Sounds like you are enjoying :)

Get someone to take some vids when you do some track time. Would LOVE to see that :) Just post them on Photbucket - so I can see them from work :):)

Keep in touch

Page

Hey, Ruf, I gave up on the Vortech-supplied tune as it was really tame (even though it was 420hp and a big improvement over stock). Plus, their tune couldn't handle how fast the converter and 4.10 gears were pushing the car to redline and hitting the rev limiter. They also capped the redline at 6,000 rpm's (with a lot of power still being made past that!). Also had a tiny bit of pinging at WOT (last thing you want in a supercharged car!).

Their tune was locked, so I grabbed my original Diablo tuner and picked a similar supercharger from the mod menu, and I've been dialing in my own tune for now until I can have a dyno tune done. Pulled a bunch of timing and added fuel in all ranges, but pulled too much timing (to be safe) and lost probably 20-30hp per my butt-o-meter. Added more fuel so I could run more timing and my butt-o-meter tells me I've picked up 40-50hp. I've got it ping-free, even with a heavy load on the motor, so I feel safe with the tune. Probably running a bit more rich than I need to, but I don't want to risk blowing up the motor. Also, bumped the shift points up to 6,200 rpm's (in drive) and raised the rev limiter to 6,900 rpm's (so I can shift around 6,500 rpm's and still have room to avoid bumping the rev limiter). Tuning sure is a higher art form, and I have a high respect for the good tuners out there who can work their magic (as it ain't easy!).

Without dyno time yet, I would have to guess we're at about 450hp (at the crank) by the feel of things. I have to ease into the throttle in 1st and 2nd gear, otherwise I'm driving sideways on dry pavement. Pulling out into traffic takes a lot of caution. Plenty of power to merge instantly, but walking a thin line between throttle input and spinning wildly. Car hooks up pretty good in 3rd and 4th gears, although at wide open throttle it'll spin into 3rd and lurch/chirp hard into 4th gear. I may have to put the drag radials on permanently for safer driving!

Fuel economy really took a hit (about 3 mpg all around). Keep in mind that the big stall converter makes the car flash into high rpm's with any decent throttle input, which induces boost. Playing in town romping on the pedal gets me about 9-10 mpg. If I drive normally with minimal converter flash and boost, it's about 12-13 mpg in town. On the highway at a steady 65 mph cruise, it's 20 mpg. Not terrible considering the horsepower that's on tap! Good thing my commute is only 4 miles to work.

Can't wait for a good dyno tune and some track time. The way the car sits today I feel confident I could easily run 7.90's @ 87+ in the 1/8 mile and 12.30's @ 110+ in the 1/4 mile. The miles per hour really builds as the revs rise, so it is really deceiving how fast the car is unless you watch the tach & speedo closely. The stock brakes are just not cutting it anymore, so I'll need an upgrade soon. Gotta save up a few bucks and call Page at Stillen soon!

Overall, this has been the best mod ever. It takes an already quick car and turns it into a beast. At 450hp (crank) and 3,700 lbs (including me), it's got a weight to hp ratio of 8.2 lbs/hp. A stock GT500, for comparison, would be 500 hp (crank) pushing 4,100 lbs (with driver) for an identical ratio. And that's plenty powerful for a daily driven street car!

It's all good, my brother!

+1 on throttle response. I need to be very careful pulling into traffic, too. Very twitchy. I'm not even going to take it to the track until I get some DR's. 1st and 2nd just no hook at all. Enjoy the boost, my friend! :happy feet:

Watch those posi units both Brians. Mine is groaning when I make a sharp turn after the diff is warmed up. I'm also getting some one wheel spinning. Looks like I'm going to have to decide whether to rebuild the clutches or go with a different unit in the not-to-distant future and I'm pretty sure I don't horse mine around as much as both of you do.

On a better note, my average mileage has now climbed to 17.1 mpg. Some of that may be due to the supercharger breaking in its gear mesh and bearing surfaces and some may be due to a more efficient long and short term fuel trim.

My new motto is go BIG (boost is good) :happy feet:

MAN I wish you lived closer Brian :) Nothing I like more than taking a ride in (or driving) a nice high HP car :) Havent been in a car set up for the drag strip in probably 10 years (since I sold my '72 Camaro - all straight line all business) :)

Sounds like you are enjoying :)

Get someone to take some vids when you do some track time. Would LOVE to see that :) Just post them on Photbucket - so I can see them from work :):)

Keep in touch

Page

Hi, Page. I'll likely never drive my car long distance to get it all the way down to you, but if you're ever up this way let me know and you're more than welcome rip around in my car for a bit. Also, I'll definitely take some vids. I have a camcorder mount on the passenger side headrest of my car that I made for race days. And, if I can get my wife or a friend to go along, I'll have them take vids from the stands, too. I have a lot of old vids (VHS) from 20 years ago of me drag racing my '68 GTO. One of those runs was a dare to smoke the tires for the whole 1/4 mile (ended up smoking them about 2/3 of the way down the 1/4 mile - couldn't quite keep 'em going for the whole track). Gotta love big block classic musclecars! It's such a hoot that the new musclecars are even faster.

I'm amazed that Vortech sends such a tame tune with this blower (of course, it is 50 state smog legal and warrantied for 3 years, 36K miles). They claim it makes just 420hp at the crank (calculated from dyno tests) which means it makes about 350hp at the tires with their ultra-conservative tune. However, I've seen plenty of examples of guys using this blower getting 450hp or more at the tires (which is comfortably over 500hp at the crank). Even with my amatuer tuning skills I can feel a big improvement with the changes I've made in tuning, and can only imagine how much power a skilled tuner can unlock! That said, I've been talking with a well known tuner in our area about getting my car into his shop in June (he's always booked up weeks in advance). I'd be more than happy with 400hp at the tires, and am realistically expecting about 380hp at the tires after dyno tuning. Any more than that and I feel I'd be pushing my luck without an intercooler.

It's all good, my brother!

+1 on throttle response. I need to be very careful pulling into traffic, too. Very twitchy. I'm not even going to take it to the track until I get some DR's. 1st and 2nd just no hook at all. Enjoy the boost, my friend! :happy feet:

461 rwhp in your GT - wow! I'm sure that's an easy 90-100 more than mine at this point. I'm pretty sure I remember yours being intercooled (unlike mine), so you can get away with more aggressive tuning. I'd hate to line up against you at the track!

Watch those posi units both Brians. Mine is groaning when I make a sharp turn after the diff is warmed up. I'm also getting some one wheel spinning. Looks like I'm going to have to decide whether to rebuild the clutches or go with a different unit in the not-to-distant future and I'm pretty sure I don't horse mine around as much as both of you do.

On a better note, my average mileage has now climbed to 17.1 mpg. Some of that may be due to the supercharger breaking in its gear mesh and bearing surfaces and some may be due to a more efficient long and short term fuel trim.

I'll be sure to keep an ear open for any odd noises. I actually had my diff's clutch packs replaced under warranty about a year and a half ago, as they were moaning on sharp turns as noted in a Ford TSB. That was when I had the 4.10's installed (since they were in the diff already, it cut my labor expense way, way down).

If my physics understanding is correct, I think my blower setup is more posi friendly than yours. You get the instant hit of boost from that Saleen blower, whereas my Vortech is a centrifugal so there's no instant hit - the boost builds with rpm's like a turbo. I gotta think that would make mine easier on the drivetrain?

Posi units?? What do you mean?

Correct five-OH but those clutch packs weren't very good even with the stock engines. Is Ford using carbon fiber clutches replacements via the TSB?

NCstang - We are talking about the positive traction differentials on our cars that are supposed to limit one wheel spinning and yet let us go around a corner without a wheel scuffing. There are lots of designs out there. Our stock units use a clutch pack arangement that may not hold up well under the increased torque loads especially since they apparently weren't working too well with the 300 HP engine.

Mark - I may have given the wrong impression about how I drive! I can go sometimes five days without romping up through 1st, 2nd, 3rd! I rarely hard launch - I've got about 12k on my rear BFG's and look maybe 1/3 worn.

461 rwhp in your GT - wow! I'm sure that's an easy 90-100 more than mine at this point. I'm pretty sure I remember yours being intercooled (unlike mine), so you can get away with more aggressive tuning. I'd hate to line up against you at the track!

I'd be honored to line up with you!! :happy feet:

Don't forget, I'm intercooled and have the Comp Stage III cams and valve springs.

Dyno-Tune-Master told me he had several GT's running around Chesepeake at 6500 rpms - (about 500 rwhp) - on stock internals (daily drivers) - but I kept it at 6350. More RPM's on a Centri equals more boost. I'm at about 9 lbs.

Mark - I may have given the wrong impression about how I drive! I can go sometimes five days without romping up through 1st, 2nd, 3rd! I rarely hard launch - I've got about 12k on my rear BFG's and look maybe 1/3 worn.

Worth noting, I drive my car very hard ever day. Hard launches, WOT, power-sliding shenanigans, etc. Not to mention, a few dozens passes at the drag strip each summer. I suppose this explains my poor fuel economy, higher potential for differential failure, and, um, global warming.

I'd be honored to line up with you!! :happy feet:

Don't forget, I'm intercooled and have the Comp Stage III cams and valve springs.

Dyno-Tune-Master told me he had several GT's running around Chesepeake at 6500 rpms - (about 500 rwhp) - on stock internals (daily drivers) - but I kept it at 6350. More RPM's on a Centri equals more boost. I'm at about 9 lbs.

I'd be really worried about combining stock internals, 500 rwhp, and big boost. Sounds like a recipe for a suicide bomber. I think I'll be safe and happy at about 400 rwhp and spinning the motor no higher than 6,500 rpm's. The paperwork with my blower said it makes 8.5 - 9.5 psi of boost, so I suppose that is dependent on how high you rev it.

I've been considering the Comp Cams NSR setup. Not as much horsepower as the stage III's with springs, but a whole lot less dough for labor (I'm still a poor, working guy).

Ruf, I've been pondering your combination and ran some quick math. With 461 rwhp, your car (assuming sticky tires) ought to be capable of low 11's @ 120+ in the 1/4 mile. Even taking it easy, it should still click of mid 11's without much effort. Of course, below 11.50, NHRA rules require a roll cage, so you may only get one pass down the track before they ask you to leave until the cage is installed.

Thanks for the kind words!

This is the fastest car I've ever owned!

(also - I've got an aluminum driveshaft and suspension pieces)

I'm debating whether or not to buy DR's or some 15" rims and slicks just for the track. Around town, I never really launch hard. With slicks, I'd be able to get the lowest ET possible.

And my buds at the Ford Store are bugging me to join them at the strip! :happy feet:

I'd be really worried about combining stock internals, 500 rwhp, and big boost. Sounds like a recipe for a suicide bomber. I think I'll be safe and happy at about 400 rwhp and spinning the motor no higher than 6,500 rpm's. The paperwork with my blower said it makes 8.5 - 9.5 psi of boost, so I suppose that is dependent on how high you rev it.

I've been considering the Comp Cams NSR setup. Not as much horsepower as the stage III's with springs, but a whole lot less dough for labor (I'm still a poor, working guy).

Ruf, I've been pondering your combination and ran some quick math. With 461 rwhp, your car (assuming sticky tires) ought to be capable of low 11's @ 120+ in the 1/4 mile. Even taking it easy, it should still click of mid 11's without much effort. Of course, below 11.50, NHRA rules require a roll cage, so you may only get one pass down the track before they ask you to leave until the cage is installed.

Did you factor in the 4:10's?

Thanks for the kind words!

This is the fastest car I've ever owned!

(also - I've got an aluminum driveshaft and suspension pieces)

I'm debating whether or not to buy DR's or some 15" rims and slicks just for the track. Around town, I never really launch hard. With slicks, I'd be able to get the lowest ET possible.

And my buds at the Ford Store are bugging me to join them at the strip! :happy feet:

15" rims really limits your brake choices. If you already have aftermarket brakes, the 15's likely won't fit (if you went with bigger rotors). I chose 17" drag radials (BFG 275/40/17) which stick perfectly - at least they did. Hope they still grab with the supercharger, although I think they will.

Did you factor in the 4:10's?

We both have 4.10's. 4.10's factored into my math and tuning. Many believe that's too much gear with a supercharger, but I think it helps spool up a centrifugal blower better. Those with twin screw or roots blowers would be better served with less gear, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Blower has been on for 2 months now, but life has been so hectic that I am just now getting the car in for dyno-tuning! Been using the Vortech-supplied tune that I've altered slightly, but can't wait to see what a dyno-tune will do for the car. I've got an appointment next week at the HorsePower Ranch. I've heard nothing but good things about their magic with late model modular Ford V8's, so I'm eager to get nice (yet safe) gains out of my combination.

Vortech says my blower is tuned for 420hp at the crank, which is just over 350 rwhp in an automatic GT. With some good tuning, it'll be interesting to see how close to 400 rwhp (about 475hp at the crank) he can get it, although I think anything over 375 rwhp (about 445hp at the crank) would be great.

375 rwhp in my car would equate to 12.10's at 113+ mph in the 1/4 mile.

Blower has been on for 2 months now, but life has been so hectic that I am just now getting the car in for dyno-tuning! Been using the Vortech-supplied tune that I've altered slightly, but can't wait to see what a dyno-tune will do for the car. I've got an appointment next week at the HorsePower Ranch. I've heard nothing but good things about their magic with late model modular Ford V8's, so I'm eager to get nice (yet safe) gains out of my combination.

Vortech says my blower is tuned for 420hp at the crank, which is just over 350 rwhp in an automatic GT. With some good tuning, it'll be interesting to see how close to 400 rwhp (about 475hp at the crank) he can get it, although I think anything over 375 rwhp (about 445hp at the crank) would be great.

375 rwhp in my car would equate to 12.10's at 113+ mph in the 1/4 mile.

Hey Brian,

Glad to see you are enjoying the ole SuperCharger :) Keep us posted on the after-tune excitement :)

Page

So Brian what do you think your drive train loss will be at the 470 crank level? Still 70 or 75 or even 80? The JDM tune on my tranny is great but I don't shift into OD until 45-47 mph. Have you done anything else to your transmission after the TC?

Archived