TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Five Oh B gets blown...

Five Oh B

Supercharger envy finally got the best of me. Having assumed there would never be a budget for a blower, I had started modding my '07 GT automatic coupe assuming it would remain naturally aspirated. 4.10 gears, big stall converter, and JLT II CAI & tune have made the car launch very hard at the track and very entertaining on the street. But, horsepower just wasn't there once the car was past the initial launch. I looked at swapping cams, doing head work, and the normal battery of bolt on mods, but realized that all of that would add up to just adding a supercharger, and still wouldn't result in as much power (and potential) as a blower.

Not wanting to undo the 4.10 gears and big converter, I looked for a blower that would maximize high rpm's. That ruled out roots or twin screws, and favored going the centrifugal route. Ended up scoring one heckuva deal through Stillen on a Vortech V-2 S-trim. Opted to keep it simple and conservative with the standard system that's non-intercooled and 8-9 psi. Conservatively tuned with Vortech's supplied tuner, they rate it at 420hp (at the crank). There are other vendors out there who go very aggressive with the tuning and get as much as 500hp with this blower, but my GT is a daily driver, so eeking every last hp and running on the ragged edge makes me nervous. I believe I'll be very happy with 420hp for now, and can always buy a more aggressive tune later, if needed.

My GT is in our service department getting this blower installed right now, so I look forward to driving it again by tomorrow. I'll be sure to post my thoughts and pics then.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Supercharger envy finally got the best of me. Having assumed there would never be a budget for a blower, I had started modding my '07 GT automatic coupe assuming it would remain naturally aspirated. 4.10 gears, big stall converter, and JLT II CAI & tune have made the car launch very hard at the track and very entertaining on the street. But, horsepower just wasn't there once the car was past the initial launch. I looked at swapping cams, doing head work, and the normal battery of bolt on mods, but realized that all of that would add up to just adding a supercharger, and still wouldn't result in as much power (and potential) as a blower.

Not wanting to undo the 4.10 gears and big converter, I looked for a blower that would maximize high rpm's. That ruled out roots or twin screws, and favored going the centrifugal route. Ended up scoring one heckuva deal through Stillen on a Vortech V-2 S-trim. Opted to keep it simple and conservative with the standard system that's non-intercooled and 8-9 psi. Conservatively tuned with Vortech's supplied tuner, they rate it at 420hp (at the crank). There are other vendors out there who go very aggressive with the tuning and get as much as 500hp with this blower, but my GT is a daily driver, so eeking every last hp and running on the ragged edge makes me nervous. I believe I'll be very happy with 420hp for now, and can always buy a more aggressive tune later, if needed.

My GT is in our service department getting this blower installed right now, so I look forward to driving it again by tomorrow. I'll be sure to post my thoughts and pics then.

Hey there,

Thanks much for the plug :) Should be a blast to drive. PLEASE post pictures when its complete.

Dont hesitate to call if I can be of any assistance - 866-278-8287 x134

Page

Congratulations!

That does sound like a great combo - 4.1s and and a centrifugal. Hope you factored in the increased tire expense when working out the budget :happy feet:

Please show us pictures when you can. In fact, take some of the install please.

I was supprised when I saw this post from you. I never thought you would go this route.

I think you made the right choice going with the V-2 S trim. I have it on my T-Bird . It is very quiet and more efficent than the old V-1's.

I suspect you may eventually want to change the 4:10's to 3:73's though depending on your rpm's going through the traps.

Love to see some pics of your car when it's done.

Hey there,

Thanks much for the plug :) Should be a blast to drive. PLEASE post pictures when its complete.

Dont hesitate to call if I can be of any assistance - 866-278-8287 x134

Page

Hi, Page, I will tell anyone and everyone I talk to about the excellent customer service you provided me. Stillen can count on more of my $'s in the future.

On a side note, this kit was missing the 39 lb injectors that were on the parts list so our shop foreman called Vortech to get them overnighted (hopefully). I know that you had Vortech drop ship the kit directly to me, so this is nothing you had control over. Just wish Vortech had double checked the box for completeness.

Also, Vortech included a Diablo tuner p/n 07140 (05-06 Mustang) instead of the p/n 07145 (07 Mustang), but they assured me on the phone that the tune in the tuner is correct for my 07 and will work just fine. If not, I still have my own Diablo 07145 tuner that I could upload the tune onto, if necessary.

I didn't want to make the tech nervous with picture taking, so I didn't. I didn't really want to even go out in the shop and look over his shoulder (I know most techs detest having customers in the shop), but I checked his progress every couple of hours. Minimal fabrication required, but man, is that blower a tight fit at the front of the driver's side valve cover. I dread ever needing to replace a belt, as it would be a couple hour job rendering the car undrivable during that time. I think I'll make it a habit to get a new belt every year or two.

I'll get some pics once the job is done. Should be tomorrow, unless we are delayed waiting for the right injectors.

Congratulations!

That does sound like a great combo - 4.1s and and a centrifugal. Hope you factored in the increased tire expense when working out the budget.

Thanks, Mark! with the 4,300 rpm stall converter, this car will always be in the 4,300 to 6,500 rpm range at wide open throttle. I sure hoping this combo works as well as I think it will. The 4.10's and converter get me instantly to 4,300 rpm's, right about where a centrifugal would be coming on full steam.

Congratulations Brian. It should be a lot more fun to drive :shift:

Thanks! It'll be fun after I learn how to drive all over again! It's been a while since I've owned a 400+ hp car, and those were torque-monster big blocks. This one will be less about torque, and more about higher rpm hp.

:happy feet: post pics when you can.

ps: you'll like be blown, it's Addicting :hysterical2:

Rodney - you're always the joker, but very true that getting blown is addicting. Now, it'll be an everyday event, not just when my wife :censored::censored::censored:

This is exciting news 5-Oh.

The sleeper that no one should mess with. :happy feet:

I'll race you to Multnomah Falls from your place. How about on the 24th? Just kidding - we should set a good example for the others in attendance and on the public highways.

Oh, and if Tana wants a supercharger for the GT/CS, I would highly recommend helping David with the install. I suspect you guys could do it yourself, whereas I'm not as confident in my own wrenching skills anymore.

I was supprised when I saw this post from you. I never thought you would go this route.

I think you made the right choice going with the V-2 S trim. I have it on my T-Bird . It is very quiet and more efficent than the old V-1's.

I suspect you may eventually want to change the 4:10's to 3:73's though depending on your rpm's going through the traps.

Love to see some pics of your car when it's done.

Looks like I can make it through the traps with the 4.10's. I'm calculating that the car should run 12.30's at 111 mph in the 1/4 mile. With 275/40/17 drag radials (24.5" diameter), 6,500 rpm's is 115 mph in 4th gear, so it'll be close. Should I end up with a more agressive tune later, I'd likely run a taller drag radial or consider 3.90's or 3.73's, as suggested.

I've heard that the V-2 is quiet, and this one is labeled SQ (super quiet), which was another attraction to adding it to my sleeper. As they say: "run silent, run deep."

Now I need a good nickname for my pony. Is it a wolf in sheep's clothing, or perhaps a Trojan Horse?

Now I need a good nickname for my pony. Is it a wolf in sheep's clothing, or perhaps a Trojan Horse?

I got a name for you...... SEABISCUIT

rent the movie with Tobey Maguire, Jeff Bridges & Chris Cooper.... it's about a little horse (or in your case a pony) that could beat the Big Horses.

I think it came out in 2004 :speedie:

I got a name for you...... SEABISCUIT

rent the movie with Tobey Maguire, Jeff Bridges & Chris Cooper.... it's about a little horse (or in your case a pony) that could beat the Big Horses.

I think it came out in 2004 :speedie:

My youngest daughter recommended that I watch Seabiscuit awhile ago, and never did. Guess it's time to rent it.

What do you think of the BFG drag radials , do they slip any ?

BFG d/r's dead hook with a short warm up spin. My '07 Mustang GT automatic and my '03 Mach 1 manual-trans hooked up perfectly with 275/40/17's. Both cars ran low 13's in the 1/4 mile.

Adding the supercharger to the '07 will certainly test the BFG's, but I'm confident that they'll hook up with the centrifugal blower as power comes on linearly as the revs rise, whereas a twin screw or roots style blowers are all about instant boost which would likely challenge most tires.

Plus, the BFG d/r's last about 5-6K miles for those who want them on 24/7 for more street traction. By comparison, Nitto's 555 d/r's tend to last longer on the street, but don't stick as well at the track. There are several other d/r choices out there, but I have no first hand experience with them (M&H, M/T, Kumho, Toyo, etc.).

That is awesome Brian. I too hope to supercharge my auto GT one day in the near future. Be sure to let us know how you like the Vortech.

I would encourage you to do it sooner, than later. I hesitated for a long time due to the expense, but I gotta tell you that Page at Stillen had such an awesome deal (probably too good to tell you how much I paid!), that I couldn't say no. And, installation is only about 10 hours for most superchargers, which is less time than is required to swap cams/springs in these cars!

On a side note, this kit was missing the 39 lb injectors that were on the parts list so our shop foreman called Vortech to get them overnighted (hopefully). I know that you had Vortech drop ship the kit directly to me, so this is nothing you had control over. Just wish Vortech had double checked the box for completeness.

Also, Vortech included a Diablo tuner p/n 07140 (05-06 Mustang) instead of the p/n 07145 (07 Mustang), but they assured me on the phone that the tune in the tuner is correct for my 07 and will work just fine. If not, I still have my own Diablo 07145 tuner that I could upload the tune onto, if necessary.

Hey there,

I have been in touch with Vortech this morning - asking that they please keep me updated on the correction of the above two items. I will stay on them today to make sure this is corrected before the end of the day.

Sorry you had these problems. I will keep ya updated.

Keep us updated on the install, and post the ole pics when available :) Will be interesting to see how this performs at the track. Are you sure you dont want to bring it down here and run it at Fontana so I can go watch? :):):)

Page

Hey there,

I have been in touch with Vortech this morning - asking that they please keep me updated on the correction of the above two items. I will stay on them today to make sure this is corrected before the end of the day.

Sorry you had these problems. I will keep ya updated.

Keep us updated on the install, and post the ole pics when available :) Will be interesting to see how this performs at the track. Are you sure you dont want to bring it down here and run it at Fontana so I can go watch? :):):)

Page

Thanks, Page. Again, you've been nothing short of awesome and I appreciate it. Vortech just opened a few minutes ago, so between your calls and our shop foreman's calls, I trust the missing injectors will be on their way promptly so my tech can button up the install.

This install turned out to be a one-day deal (roughly 9 hours), with just the injectors (which are very simple to swap) and the tune to be loaded (10 minutes worth of work), so it should be ready to fire up in less than an hour upon receiving the injectors. I can't wait! I'm like a little kid waiting for Christmas. In retrospect, I likely could have done this install myself, but feel better having a tenured technician on the job. Plus, several other techs in the shop were very interested in this install, so it was like a pit crew working on my car. I think they're almost as excited as I am. I told the tech that he can road test it and have as much fun as he wants, but he has to pay any tickets he incures.

Fontana is a bit of a drive, so I'll have to share timeslips from Pacific Raceways (Seattle Int'l Raceway) after hitting the 1/4 mile. Funny, but I have been drag racing there for 26 years now, and have never once drag raced at another facility. I did spend a few days racing at the Bondurant Preformance School in Chandler, AZ a few years ago, though - what a blast that was - but it was in their cars, not mine.

Thanks again, Page. I look forward to hearing that Vortech will have injectors shipping out ASAP.

Fontana is a bit of a drive, so I'll have to share timeslips from Pacific Raceways (Seattle Int'l Raceway) after hitting the 1/4 mile. Funny, but I have been drag racing there for 26 years now, and have never once drag raced at another facility. I did spend a few days racing at the Bondurant Preformance School in Chandler, AZ a few years ago, though - what a blast that was - but it was in their cars, not mine.

Funny, when I was younger, I used to race at OCIR (Orange County International Raceway) here in So Cal (a LONG time ago). Had my own street/race car (sorry, was a Camaro), and worked on a AA/FC for a guy named Gwen Hyder (in Artesia CA). When I was in my early 20's I moved to Seattle (Federal Way) and kind of fell out of racing. Never made it to SIR. Havent been on a track again since my last visit to OCIR. Have been to Fontana (Fun Ford Weekend) to watch but have never been back on the track. Maybe its time for me to take my Mach1 out for a few runs :)

Oh boy, Vortech may have just dropped the ball on this one! Our shop foreman spoke with them on the phone this morning about the missing fuel injectors, and they'll ship them, but won't overnight them. The best they're "able" to do is 3-day UPS ground, which means my car will be sitting dead over the weekend and probably until mid-week next week! This was one of my biggest concerns with modding a daily driver, and why I lined up an appt with our shop to free up a tech for an entire day ahead of time to minimize down time. Guess I'm riding my bicycle or walking to work for the next few days (it's only 4 miles). This really sucks!

Once the local speed shops open up this morning, I'll be calling around to see if anyone has these injectors locally that I can fetch today, then hope Vortech will reimburse me for my troubles.

Funny, when I was younger, I used to race at OCIR (Orange County International Raceway) here in So Cal (a LONG time ago). Had my own street/race car (sorry, was a Camaro), and worked on a AA/FC for a guy named Gwen Hyder (in Artesia CA). When I was in my early 20's I moved to Seattle (Federal Way) and kind of fell out of racing. Never made it to SIR. Havent been on a track again since my last visit to OCIR. Have been to Fontana (Fun Ford Weekend) to watch but have never been back on the track. Maybe its time for me to take my Mach1 out for a few runs :)

I've owned a pair of Mach 1's, what year is yours? I often wish I could have kept the '03 Mach 1 I had, but sold it to a friend to pay for the '07 GT.

No need to apologize about the Camaro; heck, many of us have been on the dark side! I owned a '68 Pontiac GTO for 9 years. Ran it in the Sportsman Class drags at Seattle Int'l Raceway for each of those 9 years. Also had a '72 Chevy Nova with a transplanted 427 cubic inch rat motor from a '66 'Vette (435hp L71 factory tri-power motor modded to be a tunnel-rammed 550+hp monster).

It is such a small world that you lived in Federal Way, which is where I lived for many years, as well (I graduated from Federal Way High School a couple decades ago). Federal Way used to be such a little speedbump along Highway 99, and has grown to be one of the largest cities in Washington. In fact, it had the highest population at the time of its incorporation as a city than any city in the state (even Seattle, which was far less populated when it became a city 100+ years ago). It has probably changed a lot since you lived there. I get there once in awhile, and it amazes me what changes in between visits.

Oh boy, Vortech may have just dropped the ball on this one! Our shop foreman spoke with them on the phone this morning about the missing fuel injectors, and they'll ship them, but won't overnight them. The best they're "able" to do is 3-day UPS ground, which means my car will be sitting dead over the weekend and probably until mid-week next week! This was one of my biggest concerns with modding a daily driver, and why I lined up an appt with our shop to free up a tech for an entire day ahead of time to minimize down time. Guess I'm riding my bicycle or walking to work for the next few days (it's only 4 miles). This really sucks!

Once the local speed shops open up this morning, I'll be calling around to see if anyone has these injectors locally that I can fetch today, then hope Vortech will reimburse me for my troubles.

How much more money is "overnight" cost ?

That's too bad they won't ship it like that.

I've owned a pair of Mach 1's, what year is yours? I often wish I could have kept the '03 Mach 1 I had, but sold it to a friend to pay for the '07 GT.

No need to apologize about the Camaro; heck, many of us have been on the dark side! I owned a '68 Pontiac GTO for 9 years. Ran it in the Sportsman Class drags at Seattle Int'l Raceway for each of those 9 years. Also had a '72 Chevy Nova with a transplanted 427 cubic inch rat motor from a '66 'Vette (435hp L71 factory tri-power motor modded to be a tunnel-rammed 550+hp monster).

It is such a small world that you lived in Federal Way, which is where I lived for many years, as well (I graduated from Federal Way High School a couple decades ago). Federal Way used to be such a little speedbump along Highway 99, and has grown to be one of the largest cities in Washington. In fact, it had the highest population at the time of its incorporation as a city than any city in the state (even Seattle, which was far less populated when it became a city 100+ years ago). It has probably changed a lot since you lived there. I get there once in awhile, and it amazes me what changes in between visits.

Hey there,

My Mach is an '03. Pretty much stock right now (VERY limited funds) - MagnaFlow exhaust, C&L CAI, wheels & tires (315's on the rear - Ohhh Yea - Steam Rollers) :) MAY have to sell it soon - to help make house payments for a while longer. No - didnt get caught up in the refinance crap that so many people did - lost my job in IT with WellPoint Health Networks (Parent of Blue Cross of CA). Have never been able to get my way back into IT :(

Ahh, I do miss my Camaro sometimes. Was a '72 - small block (383), manual shift TH400 (10" converter), 12 bolt w/4.10's, 36" ladder bars. An all business car (no A/C, no heater, no radio, no rear seat). Skinnies on the front, steam rollers on the rear (on polished Centerlines). MAN that car was an adrenalin rush :)

Still have a very close friend up in Federal Way (although we havent talked in a while - life gets in the way). I WILL be calling him this weekend - just to say hi :) We took a trip up there about 6 years ago (driving vacation). Drove past the place I used to work (which of course isnt the same business anymore), and drove by my old apartment (used to live about a block away from Poverty Bay). Bringing up old memories here for sure :)

Anyway, I have been on the phone again (left message) with Vortech. TRYING to get them to O/N your injectors to you. Even if they wont O/N them to you - shouldnt be long. They are here in So Cal. Will keep ya posted :)

Now - back to work for me :)

Page

How much more money is "overnight" cost ?

That's too bad they won't ship it like that.

I'm sure that overnighting it costs a couple dozen dollars more, but Vortech screwed up by not shipping everything on their parts list, and yet they are content to inconvenience me greatly for their mistake.

I am a firm believer that all humans make mistakes occasionally, and that's totally acceptable and forgivable. To me, it is more important how somebody handles & corrects their mistakes. I was really expecting that Vortech would step up and handle their mistake immediately, but I am left disappointed.

On the flip side, Page at Stillen and our shop foreman have both been all over this issue since super early this morning. These are guys that know how important customer service is, and I appreciate everything they have both done. And, the technician working on my car even stayed after his shift last night to finish everything possible in spite of the missing injectors.

So the customer service score card currently reads:

Page and Stillen American Performance: A+.

Our Technician and Service Dept: A+.

Vortech: D- and bordering on a failing grade. I hope their product is so good that I eventually forget the customer service shortcomings.

I have a couple acquaintences closely watching how my install goes before they take the plunge and buy a supercharger for their rigs. It'll be easy to recommend them to Stillen. However, the jury is still out on recommending Vortech just yet - perhaps they'll surprise me and pull a rabbit out of a hat. It's not too late for them to redeem themselves as I'm a very forgiving kind of guy. But, it's a good thing Stillen carries several other brands of superchargers, just in case.

I have a couple acquaintences closely watching how my install goes before they take the plunge and buy a supercharger for their rigs. It'll be easy to recommend them to Stillen. However, the jury is still out on recommending Vortech just yet - perhaps they'll surprise me and pull a rabbit out of a hat. It's not too late for them to redeem themselves as I'm a very forgiving kind of guy. But, it's a good thing Stillen carries several other brands of superchargers, just in case.

Other options - Saleen, Roush, Magnuson, and of course Paxton.

Hehehehe - cant guarntee I can make the smokin deal I made on the Vortech though :)

Archived