TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Air Bag Recall question

Do I need to put my car back to stock in order for this recall to be done? :(

Or is it ok to leave my Evo tune in the car for this while they do what they gota do

My car is going in next week for this

Thank you

It will not affect your tune if they know what they are doing. They have to reprogram the "RCM?" It is not your PCM (tune computer). I took mine in and told them not to touch the tune on the engine. They told me that it is not needed so not to worry. I took my programmer just in case so I could reload the tune if they screwed up. I watched them do it. Only took about 10 minutes.

chuck, the farmdog is right. When I took my car in for the new clutch and tranny, they went ahead and did the recall (unfortunately without asking me). No problems with the tune at all. They justified doing the recall without asking by saying ford insists they do it since it is safety related. Kinda pissed me off, but since all my other experiences with them have been 100% great, I let it slid. Plus I really trust the tech that was working on my car.

I have gone ahead and put a metal plate over the access point (had to drill one extra hole in the very bottom of the dash) with a sign on it warning them not to change tune no matter what, or the dealer would be responsible for the ensuing damage.

Also, if you are at all worried about taking your car to the dealer with a tune, you really need to change the tune back to stock with your hand held tuner BEFORE they screw anything up and replace the custom tune. Once the custom tune is replaced by a dealer on your car, your handheld tuner is worthless and needs to be sent back to the tuner to be unlocked and reloaded before you can put the custom tune back on your car. Not a pleasant situation to be in.

Oh gees, I will bring my tuner with me for a worse case scenario, should I bring the stock air box as well? Although I would imagine as long as you do not crank the car over with the stock tune and JLT CAI, everything would be fine?

thanks, I will definitely mention to them

Lastly, dealers would not put an automatic OASIS (I think that is what it is called) on your car if they see it is modded or hear from the owner like in my case the Evo Stage 1?

thanks alot

If you really want to make sure everything is OK just bring your tuner and reload your tune before leaving the dealership. I can do that with my xcal. Of course my dealer knows my car has been so highly modified that any warranty is out of the question that is drive train related so I don't care if that know. It is all up to you on what to do but they should not mess with your tune at all for this recall. Just tell them specifically not to touch it.

Chuck, Some of this applys to your situation.

Print this and show it to them:

April 23, 2008

Attention Shelby Owners - IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Owners of Kenne Bell, Paxton, and Wipple superchargers

This information has to do with the Ford recall notice with respect to passenger side airbag. If you decide to take your car into your Ford dealership for this recall, they will need to tap into your vehicle's computer to correct the problem. They will need to re-program the RCM (Restraint Control Module). It takes them a very short period of time and you should be on your way without incident.

Here is where it gets tricky. If by accident the technician goes into the PCM (Power Control Module) instead of the RCM, they will essentially replace your existing power tune with whatever is in their programming module. If you have a Kenne Bell, Wipple, or Paxton Supercharger, then you have a vendor-unique tune. If the technician accidentally wipes out your unique tune, Ford cannot re-program it without obtaining the unique vendor program direct from the supercharger vendor.

If you encounter the worst case scenario, and your program gets wiped out, have your Ford dealer contact Shelby Automobiles Inc. directly. We in turn will work between the Ford dealership and the respective supercharger vendor to insure that they receive the tune needed to re-flash your PCM. DO NOT have the Ford dealership contact the supercharger vendor directly. The MUST contact Shelby at the following telephone number:

Shelby Automobiles Inc.

(702) 942-7325

. Doug Sinclair (ext. 105)

. Bud Mahoney (ext. 140)

. Donnie Beson (ext. 145)

Please take this communication to the Ford dealer if you are intending to act on the passenger side airbag recall notice.

Donnie Beson

Director of Sales

Shelby Automobiles Inc.

DEALER TECHNICIANS -- ATTENTION:

BEFORE plugging IDS into the DLC of this vehicle, please be sure you have your IDS software updated to version 53.12 P20 or later. This vehicle is equipped with an aftermarket PCM calibration that will identify to IDS as a stock calibration. It is CRITICAL that you DO NOT REFLASH THE PCM of this vehicle under any circumstances. Engine failure WILL result, for which the dealer will be held responsible. If IDS informs you that a later calibration is available, do NOT flash the vehicle. Any PCM calibration updates necessary will be handled by Shelby Automobiles Inc. Also, if a PCM replacement is deemed necessary for any reason, prior authorization must be obtained from Shelby Automobiles Inc.

Thanks, you know what, I am just not going to have them do it.

I don't ride with midgets shotgun so what the hell do I really care.

But thank you for all this info, I will bring that with me as well as my tuner and watch them do it if they pester me that I have to do it because it is for safety and bla bla bla

Thanks!

That is awsome info

Archived